sitagliptin shortage

trevm

Hi all,

I picked up a repeat prescription this monday & been to several pharmacies in the local area (west yorkshire) but all say they have no stock due to manufacturing shortage (januvia).
Does anyone know whats going on?
Anyone know where I can get my prescription processed?

C

catherinecherub

Hi trevm,
There are several prescription drugs that are in short supply in the UK at the moment.

It would appear that pricing discrepancies and the change in the exchange rate have created a financial incentive for some wholesalers and pharmacies to order extra and sell overseas for profit. It is called parallel exporting, (google it), It is legal, ethical and moral may not be best way to describe it. but hence the shortages.

You need to ring the surgery reception and explain that it is not available in your area and ask them to speak to your GP and see what he suggests as you have the weekend ahead and need some or a replacement drug urgently. They must know about this problem within the area.

Hope this helps,

Catherine.

SweetGuy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just been prescribed these and got 3 months worth from Boots today without any problem.

Take the first one in the morning. Fingers crossed nothing terrible happens :)

ShyGirl

SweetGuy said:
I have just been prescribed these and got 3 months worth from Boots today without any problem.

Take the first one in the morning. Fingers crossed nothing terrible happens :)
Three months?! I'm only allowed 28 at a time which is annoying and dangerous in a way. I might ask next week for a change but i'm seeing a gp not a diabtic nurse so I guess he'll say "see your nurse". Grrr

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am due a prescription, I will have to see if they have any in my local chemist.

IanS

ShyGirl said:
Three months?! I'm only allowed 28 at a time which is annoying and dangerous in a way.

This commonly happens with GPs. They are encouraged by their PCT to only prescribe a month's worth of any medication at a time because that way, there is a sporting cance that the cost is covered by the prescription charge (often at a substantial profit - to the pharmacist). By prescribing 3 months supply at a go, they only get one third of the prescription charge and the PCT has to pick up the extra balance.

You need to be firm with your GP. Mine prescribes 3 months of all my continuous medication at one go (actually 84 days in one case as that's 3 boxes) - not related to diabetes. I also get 200 BG test strips in one prescription, but this took a bit more arguing (but the main driver was that as I have a pre payment certificate, the PCT weren't actually going to get any more cash).

You will be very unlikely to get a GP to prescribe more than 3 months at a go.

IanS

SweetGuy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone taking sitagliptin is exempt from prescription charges anyway so prescription charges don't really come in to the equation..

The cost to the NHS of sitagliptin is £33 for a 28x100mg pack making it one of the most expensive oral treatments for diabetes (in comparison generic metformin costs next to nothing). So for economic rather than clinical reasons the government would be reluctant for very large numbers of type 2 diabetics to be taking it.

IanS

SweetGuy said:
Anyone taking sitagliptin is exempt from prescription charges anyway so prescription charges don't really come in to the equation..

Though correct, you are still unlikely to get more than 3 month's supply in one go. While I paid for prescriptions as I went, I tried (and failed - though did get 3 months supply). Now I have a Prepayment Certificate, it makes no monetary difference to the PCT*, but I still cannot get more than 3 months supply of anything at one go.

IanS

* Apparently the Prepayment charge does not get to your PCT but is paid into general taxation.

FordPrefect

IanS said:
SweetGuy said:

Though correct, you are still unlikely to get more than 3 month's supply in one go. While I paid for prescriptions as I went, I tried (and failed - though did get 3 months supply). Now I have a Prepayment Certificate, it makes no monetary difference to the PCT*, but I still cannot get more than 3 months supply of anything at one go.

IanS

* Apparently the Prepayment charge does not get to your PCT but is paid into general taxation.

Ian if you are in the UK and are on medication for diabetes then you can get a medical exemption certificate which is free and means all your prescriptions are free. I am assuming you have the prepaid thingy. You no longer need it goto your docs and pick up the form as you are entitled to free prescriptions without paying prepayment charge.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Ian if you are in the UK and are on medication for diabetes then you can get a medical exemption certificate which is free and means all your prescriptions are free. I am assuming you have the prepaid thingy. You no longer need it goto your docs and pick up the form as you are entitled to free prescriptions without paying prepayment charge.

As Ian's profile states ' diet only' then he will not get free prescriptions and will need to keep his prepayment up to date.

IanS

ShyGirl said:
I didn't see my GP as they kept saying "call tomorrow" each day , my nurse handles prescriptions anyway so next time I see her i'll be asking for 2 months worth.
I didn't know about the cost but that's interesting , I don't pay for my meds and have just found out one of them has nothing to do with Diabetes so I hope no one notices.

Despite appearances, a nurse has no authority to issue prescriptions. She may make a request, but ultimately it is a doctor who issues and signs the prescription (and carries the can if it turns out to be wrongly prescribed).

If you have a prescription exemption certificate because you are prescribed medication for your diabetes, then all your prescriptions are free, regardless of what they are issued for so it won't matter if they do "notice".

IanS

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
IanS said:
ShyGirl said:
I didn't see my GP as they kept saying "call tomorrow" each day , my nurse handles prescriptions anyway so next time I see her i'll be asking for 2 months worth.
I didn't know about the cost but that's interesting , I don't pay for my meds and have just found out one of them has nothing to do with Diabetes so I hope no one notices.

Despite appearances, a nurse has no authority to issue prescriptions. She may make a request, but ultimately it is a doctor who issues and signs the prescription (and carries the can if it turns out to be wrongly prescribed).

IanS

Sorry Ian, but that is not correct. There are many Nurses out there that have been trained and are qualified to prescribe Medicines in their own right, with no input from a GP.

A Nurse Independent Prescriber can prescribe ANY licensed medicine for ANY medical condition within their competence, including some controlled drugs.

Then there are the lesser Community Practitioner Nurse Prescribers who may only prescribe the dressings, appliances and licensed medicines listed in the Nurse Prescribers' Formulary for Community Practitioners.

So the Nurse, if qualified can prescribe medicines such as Metformin etc. There is a long list of the drugs allowed.

IanS

Fair enough.

My own practice nurse and the Diabetic Nurse cannot prescribe anything. They have to go to my GP.

IanS