Help with Carbs

saralou78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal cruelty and rude people
I'm trying so hard to cut out carbs does anyone else find it hard also can I get some ideas of what is good and what are No No's

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My general rule for sorting out carbs from non-carbs is that if it ever had roots, it's a carb. If it's processed (by man or beast) from something that had roots, it's a carb (sugar, processed from cane or beets; honey processed from plants by bees; milk processed from plants by cows/goats).

Some are denser carbs than others - and should be avoided or eaten in very limited quantities: Anything sweet (sugars and most fruits), Most things grown underground (root vegetables) are more carb dense than most things grown above ground. Grains (including rice) are very carb dense.

saralou78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
So rice is not ok wot about brown rice and pasta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are all carbs and each individual needs to find out how much of each they can eat without causing your blood sugar to go above whatever limit you have set for yourself.

HaileyCropper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried cauliflower "rice" I only tried it for the first time a couple of weeks back and am now an absolute convert

Reactions: 4 people

saralou78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have seen it but is quite expensive but will try some this weekend

HaileyCropper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't buy ready made - buy a cauliflower break the florets off and halve the bigger ones; whizz briefly in food processor until it looks a bit like couscous. Either season a bit and eat raw (makes a fabulous tabbouleh or couscous salad) or fry for a few minutes in olive oil to make it warm. We've eaten it cooked with chilli and curry and it does exactly what rice does and soaks up the sauces, and raw as salad - lime juice can help to bind it if you like, or use Mayo. One head of cauliflower will do 2 meals for 2 people. Oh yes - you can mash it, too like mashed potatoes. Brilliantly versatile. Experiment and enjoy

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

So rice is not ok wot about brown rice and pasta

I use courgette instead of pasta these days. Pasta and courgettes don't have much of a taste themselves, but are a good way of carrying lovely sauces. I have a spiralizer to make courgette "spaghetti" but you get similar results by cutting it into fine strips with a potato peeler so it is like tagliatelle. Flash fry it then add a sauce - pesto or tomatoes and herbs or flourless cheese sauce. It is really quick and tasty.