pre diabetic

123liz123

hi im liz. i was diagnosed pre diabetic 6 month ago. also impaired glucose tolerance and hirsutism.i am now taking metformin i was told that its not due to diet and cant be controled by diet.taking metformin will slow it down but i will end up on insulin.i was told i was borderline. i have a appointment in a few weeks. has anyone got the same. i am new on here so still finding my way about.thank you xx

123liz123

There are numerous reasons for hirsutism, PCOS being one for females, merits discussion with a doc.

Diet does affect Diabetes and part of the name of the game for type 2 diabetics (Prediabetes IS Diabetes, my opinion) is to make lifestyle changes to diet and exercise and sleeping and execising to stabe off getting to that insulin level
hi thank you. today i will change my diet and buy a meter. i already eat wholemeal bread. and fresh veg. i only have pasta and rice now and then. not on a weekly basis. but i do have sugar in tea coffee.and i do like sweet things. i am 8.1/2 stone. so i will try to do without the sugar.thank you xx

Reactions: 2 people

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi im liz. i was diagnosed pre diabetic 6 month ago. also impaired glucose tolerance and hirsutism.i am now taking metformin i was told that its not due to diet and cant be controled by diet.taking metformin will slow it down but i will end up on insulin.i was told i was borderline. i have a appointment in a few weeks. has anyone got the same. i am new on here so still finding my way about.thank you xx

As far as Type 2 diabetes is concerned, it is by no means certain that the condition will progress to you needing insulin. Normally I would add a caveat here about me not being a Doctor etc. But whoever told you that is plain wrong, google Doctor Jason Fung and watch some of his lectures or professor Taylor if you prefer and British accent.

You have already hit on 2 things I think are particularly important: diet and testing (I would also add exercise). I think one of the first things you will find when you start testing is that 'good' wholemeal bread will still send your blood sugar high......well at least it did for me! Pretty much all bread (with a few exceptions you will find on the forum) is high carb. Carbs should be regarded as sugar as should starch and starchy vegetables (e.g. potatoes).

Anyway you have come to the right place. Loads of great information on the forum and they are a pretty friendly, non-judgement bunch.

123liz123

As far as Type 2 diabetes is concerned, it is by no means certain that the condition will progress to you needing insulin. Normally I would add a caveat here about me not being a Doctor etc. But whoever told you that is plain wrong, google Doctor Jason Fung and watch some of his lectures or professor Taylor if you prefer and British accent.

You have already hit on 2 things I think are particularly important: diet and testing (I would also add exercise). I think one of the first things you will find when you start testing is that 'good' wholemeal bread will still send your blood sugar high......well at least it did for me! Pretty much all bread (with a few exceptions you will find on the forum) is high carb. Carbs should be regarded as sugar as should starch and starchy vegetables (e.g. potatoes).

Anyway you have come to the right place. Loads of great information on the forum and they are a pretty friendly, non-judgement bunch.
thank you i have bought a testing meter today i will start testing tomorow.i am about 8 1/2 stone and 5ft 2 i do walk. i will try to walk more. thank you xx