Introduction

keeer

Hello all, thought I'd introduce myself on this specific part of the site and just talk briefly about issues I have and weird situations and parts of my life.

So I've been diabetic for 11 years, I'm now on basal bolus (have been for about 6 years) and up until about a week ago I've been guessing novarapid doses based on food quantity. My hba1c has steadily risen (somewhere above 8 ) and I've been properly re-educated. I've also found I have minor retina damage but was told this isn't hugely uncommon for people who have type 1 diabetes for 10years+.

So my insulin doses are currently rather big, I take 54 units of levemir at night (still adjusting this slightly) and usually have 10-13 untils of novarapid per meal (I suspect this 1:10 ratio is wrong). I've noticed weird patterns in my blood sugar though, for example when I wake up my bp might by 7 but then go upto 9 when I get to work (without any breakast). Also my bp goes really high about 2 hours after eating and then at normal levels before my next meal. I noticed this trend when I got app on my phone which graphs my results and meals etc (VERY highly recommend it, it also calculates corrections and doses), if I went hypo I'd eat too much and this would be almost constant and the app showed this monumental **** up.

Diabetes has more or less ruined my life, mainly due to awkwardness and hypos and being unable to exercise or diet aggresively, I'm not overweight but I used to be incredibly fit. That and all the **** that comes with diabetes, for example I went to the dentist a month or two ago and was told I was more prone to gum disease due to having diabetes, I'm sure there are numerous side effecs I'm unaware of. I think when your young the long term effects far outweigh the long term, I was diagnosed as a teenager (just) and was petrified of going hypo and the social awkwardness of it all and didn't really care about long term effects, even now I occasionly feel like this, although obviously stability is my main aim.

Oh, I should probably mention I work LONG (12 hour) nights (alone in an empty building, can you believe it!!) 4 days a month. I see lots of threats about this coming up.

Anyway with any luck my hba1c maybe more stable, I may not have any (more) long lasting diabetes effects, be able to get fit and live a relatively normal life (hopefully with some independance!). I just thought I'd do a proper introduction before replying to threads etc... Not that my advice will be of any value, evidently my control isn't so great and my psychology surrounding diabetes is questionable. Nice to meet you all anyway.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and a warm welcome to the forum,
you really need to get your basal right and then tweeking meals will be easier, i was similar to you and went lower carb, im now doing a lot better and hba1c is 5.9, have a good look around and ask as many questions as u need :D