JordanMarie

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
Hi everyone, my doctor wants to test me for type 1 diabetes and I'm just wondered if I could get some advice on what some of the main symptoms are?
She is testing me based on my low immune system and constant infections. I mostly get tonsillitis, chest infections, conjunctivitus, ear infections, coughs and UTIs. I'm not sure if I could suspect diabetes off this symptom - is this likely?
I am an otherwise healthy 17 year old, I take vitamins daily, eat a good diet, exercise regularly, get a good amount of sleep and am not stressed.
I have looked online at some common symptoms and they do seem to fit pretty well, however they are very vague symptoms and sometimes tiredness can be just that - tiredness; and may not indicate any problems other than I am a hormonal teenager?!
Also, I was hoping that if the results were to come back positive, somebody could explain to me what happens from there on out? Do the NHS pay for and provide your treatment? What treatments are available? How do I know which one is for me? Can I request a certain treatment from my doctor if I prefer it? (she is quite condescending!) How do I count carbs to balance my insulin?

I think I'm way ahead of myself here but would really rather be prepared for the worst! Please post back if you have any advice or thoughts on my journey! In need of some support, would love somebody to explain all of this to me!

Thanks, Jordan x

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
@JordanMarie ,

Firstly, calm down and take a deep breath. Get your blood tests done and wait for the results before you get worried about being a diabetic.

But yes, your treatment is provided by the NHS who will (if you're lucky enough) provide you with expert guidance. The treatment will depend on what type of diabetes you are diagnosed with, if that actually happens.

Good luck with the tests.

Reactions: 2 people

JordanMarie

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
@JordanMarie ,

Firstly, calm down and take a deep breath. Get your blood tests done and wait for the results before you get worried about being a diabetic.

But yes, your treatment is provided by the NHS who will (if you're lucky enough) provide you with expert guidance. The treatment will depend on what type of diabetes you are diagnosed with, if that actually happens.

Good luck with the tests.
Thank you for your reply, sorry I'm a bit uppity about it all - I'm new to all of this!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Come back and see us when you get your results.

On the off chance that diabetes is confirmed we can help you with things the docs might not tell you.

jasmine1616

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hate people who think they know about T1D, but they really don't
The symptoms for diabetes are usually:
Dry mouth
Frequent urination
Often tired
Blurred vision
You notice you are loosing weight

Those are the symptoms I had.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Weight loss and nausea certainly comes up typically long before diabetes is being considered as reason for the other mentioned observations. Permanent thirsty and non-stop need to go pee-pee are the other most frequent signs, that typically have been present during weeks/months before diagnosis is made. I do actually not understand why the doc did not just do a urine strip test right then and there. For diabetes type1, then that would give instant proof of reason to pursue with blood test and glucose stress test for final confirmation.

The observed symptoms as described by JordanMarie, low immune system, constant infections. Tonsillitis, chest infections, conjunctivitus, ear infections, coughs and UTIs are all secondary symptoms at best and not uniquely indicators of diabetes.
Fingers crossed !

JordanMarie

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
The symptoms for diabetes are usually:
Dry mouth
Frequent urination
Often tired
Blurred vision
You notice you are loosing weight

Those are the symptoms I had.
That sounds about right, I have always drank loads and so - peed loads! I wear glasses and my weight kinda bounces? I am always constipated so it can really vary but I do eat alot of rubbish and not put on as much weight as I should :( and I am always sleeping! Thanks for the info!:')

G

gymnastmatthew

hi jordan how are you im always here if u ever need any help or anything amd im always herenif u ever need to talk or anyting

JordanMarie

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
Weight loss and nausea certainly comes up typically long before diabetes is being considered as reason for the other mentioned observations. Permanent thirsty and non-stop need to go pee-pee are the other most frequent signs, that typically have been present during weeks/months before diagnosis is made. I do actually not understand why the doc did not just do a urine strip test right then and there. For diabetes type1, then that would give instant proof of reason to pursue with blood test and glucose stress test for final confirmation.

The observed symptoms as described by JordanMarie, low immune system, constant infections. Tonsillitis, chest infections, conjunctivitus, ear infections, coughs and UTIs are all secondary symptoms at best and not uniquely indicators of diabetes.
Fingers crossed !
I'm on and off bulimic so its hard to say for the weight loss and nausea but the reason I am bulimic began as a comforting ritual and now I feel sick all the time so it takes the edge off to just make myself throw up! I am always drinking (about 3 bottles of water a night and about 5/6 in the daytime)! I did wonder why she didn't do that but heyho!
Thanks! Should get my results tomorrow so I will post!

JordanMarie

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
hi jordan how are you im always here if u ever need any help or anything amd im always herenif u ever need to talk or anyting
Hi, thanks so much that means alot, could you private message me? I don't know how to on this site?:/ Thanks x

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'd day the symptoms that are obvious and became clearer to me once I was diagnosed were tiredness and needing to constantly go to the toilet. By tired, I mean I felt like I had no energy 24/7, even if I'd had a good night's sleep which I didn't feel like a while before I was diagnosed. I also needed to go to the toilet nearly every hour during the night. Hopefully all goes well and try not to worry about it :)

JordanMarie

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I'd day the symptoms that are obvious and became clearer to me once I was diagnosed were tiredness and needing to constantly go to the toilet. By tired, I mean I felt like I had no energy 24/7, even if I'd had a good night's sleep which I didn't feel like a while before I was diagnosed. I also needed to go to the toilet nearly every hour during the night. Hopefully all goes well and try not to worry about it :)
Thank you for your message! The tiredness definitely rings a bell! I even nap in the day...and 17 year olds shouldn't be napping-.-