Metformin......Query for a newbie

adnan

Hi All

I'm a newly diagnosed Type II diabetic and was wondering if regulars on here can provide some feedback on Metformin that I have been prescribed.

I am currently taking 500mg, three times a day and already I am seeing considerable improvements in my health due to the medication, I assume.

Can someone advise as to how long a dose of Metformin lasts in the body? My main problem at the moment is the lack of set routine regarding the times I eat every day. I am trying to eat at similar times every day but is not always possible.

I've been told to take the tablets with meals. Although my breakfast is normally between 8/9am and the evening meal is around 6/7pm, my lunch times can vary considerably from 12 noon to 3pm. My main concern is that if I have a late lunch say at 3pm, is 6/7pm too early for another dose?

Similarly, on occasions, if I have a late night, I feel like eating during the night time, e.g. 1am. Should I take another dose of Metformin with this meal or would the earlier doses (3) during the day will suffice.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you provide.

Ad

SweetGuy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started on the same dose and found three times a day was a bit of a bind. But I soon changed to 2x 850. It is less bother just taking two as you just have one with your first meal of the day and the other with your evening meal. They do also have a slow release version of Metformin which I understand you can take daily all in one go, but I have never tried them.

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi ad, like you I am not a regular eater, I can have breakfast one day at 8am and lunch one day at 3pm, however I found it has not made much difference, and if I eat late in the day by supper time my sugar levels are normal. Try not to be to fussy about it in the early days, if your tests come out ok then I am sure your Doctor or DN will be okay with that. Try not to fret at this early stage with taking metformin, when I began taking it I was also worried about my eating habits, but just go with the flow.

chrissieworne

Hi guys are any of you getting side effects on the Met? I am on 2 x500mg a day but have had to cut back to onw cos I am getting terrible tum ache, my GP says to persevere and won't consider the slow release!

Thanks
Chrissie

adnan

Thanks guys for the feedback. Yes it is early days, but with me it is not knowing how and what is affecting my body inside. On occasions, after eating I get a headache and sometimes I get get an ache in the upper abdomen, and so on. I dont know if these are linked to the medication or diabetes in general or something totally unrelated.

What I have noticed is that if I do not eat for a while, my hunger pangs are much stronger, much more than before. However, otherwise, the side-effects seem to have gone away.

jemgeo1

Hi

I have been on Metformin for a few years now 3x500 3 times a day. I take 1 with breakfast and 1 with my evening meal. The lunchtime 1 varies from 12 - 3 and I haven't had any effect doing this. Gradually mky bloods sugars rose and I have just started injecting Byetta. Am getting good rsults now but I find it a bit of a nuisance. Anyway good luck with Metformin

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Metformin persists quie a long time
I think the real reason for taking it with food is that it has a tendency to upset the digestion.
I only need 2 x 500 mg per day and take it without food, morning and evening., because I've adapted to it and it doesn't upset me. I'd find it very difficult to remember to take one midday

goslow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,
From these posts it seems that GPs are not sticking to NICE guidlines of giving patients 3 months to see if diet and exercise can improve matters but are putting patients straight onto drugs.

Give diet (lower carb and no sugar) and exercise a chance before you go onto drugs, I've been on diet and exercise for 18 months now and a tubby friend of mine has survived for over 2 years. It does work.
Regards to all

anne 37

my diabetes nurse started me on metformin 500mgs l tab morning and one at evening meal for a week , then she added another one to morning for another week , following week she added another at evening meal , for a few weeks l had upset tummy and felt a bit sick , but that passed , i take 2 at breakfast and 2 at dinner time , why are you so late taking lunch ? at my work their very understanding and l get for my breaks when im due my tablets and l also take insulin . my diabetes nurse told me that if an employer is not making allowances for my illness at meal times etc then thats disability discrimantion , try arranging your times for your medication and dont worry the yucky feeling does pass , good luck x