Employee diagnosed with Diabetes.

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
kegstore said:
Graham1441 said:
The way things are he would just show me the door and how much would i get?, I have eight years untill i`m 65 so not a lot of chance of working again, with no money what would i have to look forward to.
I just give up, no law never worked for me, I will just keep taking my tablets including anti-depresents, and try to get to 65.
I did apply for another job and was told by the transport manager "Oh no he wont want anyone who is always taking time of with diabetes", what chance do I have.
A lot of money. If he did show you the door, you can take him to tribunal and from what you say, you have a cast-iron case. If any prospective employer acts as you say, you can also take them to tribunal with similar rights, despite not even being their employee!

The DDA DOES work and as IanS mentioned in his post, tribunals are EXTREMELY generous with their payouts. For what I considered was probably a relatively minor infraction of the terms of the DDA, I was awarded a not inconsiderable sum of money that allowed me to pay off my mortgage, and still have plenty left over, certainly enough to live on quite comfortably.

I would recommend talking to CAB, it's free, confidential and they can assist you with every step of the process if you decide to take things further. Worth thinking about.

The DDA says i can do nothing after three months so maybe if he does anything else I can think about it, would changing my work times mean anything.? I am told to do differant rounds now and again.
Graham1441 :twisted: :twisted:

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Graham1441 said:
The DDA says i can do nothing after three months so maybe if he does anything else I can think about it, would changing my work times mean anything.? I am told to do differant rounds now and again.
Graham, I really think it's worth getting professional advice on this one, as I'm not qualified to advise, I'm only an end-user with specific experience of my case! I certainly never encountered any time limitation in my dealings, and CAB were fantastic in every way.

anne 37

when l was diagnosed l was off work for l week until my medication was sorted out . then diagnosed as type 2 , my employer has had to carry out a risk assessment for me to cover me at work , also put a memo out to staff to be aware in case l take ill , so they know whats wrong and what to do to help me , done with my permission ofcourse . my employer has been really good making sure l get my breaks on time for me taking my insulin , also has given me 5 mins extra to go take my insulin ensuring that im not using my break time to go take meds and insulin , I attent diabetes clinic twice per year and once per year for eye screening , l still work full time and can say that l havent took much time of using diabetes as an excuse , Although having the flu etc can be worse for diabetics as it can knock sugar levels off. my diabetes nurse told me that if an employer doesnt try and accomadate a person with diabetes its disability discrimintion. well done for doing what youve done to help the employee . but as someone said everybodies different with diabetes , to be honest l went from taking just 4 tablets and now l inject 5 times a day and in total take 14 tablets now , when l was told l had to start injections l didnt take it too good and got a bit low in mood and l think l cried for weeks , now l know if l want to live l have to just do it , your doing gr8 to find out what to do to help your employee . maybe he aint coping to well with the diagnosis and thats why he aint back at work yet , good luck and hope this helps x

IanS

Graham1441 said:
The way things are he would just show me the door and how much would i get?, I have eight years untill i`m 65 so not a lot of chance of working again, with no money what would i have to look forward to.
I just give up, no law never worked for me, I will just keep taking my tablets including anti-depresents, and try to get to 65.

The DDA is firmly on your side. If your employer did show you the door, you would most likely have a very good case in an Employment Tribunal (ET) for Unfair Dismissal resulting from dissability discrimination. As you would be alleging discrimination because of your diabetes, there is no £55,000 limit on awards. Payouts as high as £250,000 have been made. The current government attitude is to eradicate all forms of discrimination in the workplace, and the ETs are 'encouraged' to stamp down very hard on any employers who discriminate.

Most larger employers have embraced the disability legislation with little impact (and often positive results). There does remain a hardcore of small employers who have the strange idea that somehow the legislation does not apply to them. The ETs are heavily encouraged to ram home that it most certainly does, with some of the largest awards being made against small employers.

goji

Out of interest, to benefit from this law, do you have to tick the Disability box that comes on job application forms that guarantees you a job interview?

I never wanted to tick that box as I feel a bit too proud and also can't quite think of Diabetes as being a proper disability when compared to say blindness, or immobility etc.

If you don't tick the box, does that mean you didn't declare early enough?

IanS

Most employers will tell you that the disability information on job application forms (allong with race, religious, shoe size etc.) is purely used for monitoring that they are complying with various discrimination legislation. At least that's the official position.

Whether you tick the boxes or not, the potential employer still cannot legally discriminate on any of the grounds that are provided for in current legislation. Many people assume that it would be difficult to prove discrimination in such circumstances, but the legislation as it currently stands doesn't require proof. That the person discriminated against perceives that discrimination has taken place (whether it actually has or has not) is generally enough for an action to succeed. This last point is lost on many employers (particularly the smaller ones) who need to tread very carefully through what is potentially a minefield.

IanS

IanS

kegstore said:
Graham1441 said:

I would recommend talking to CAB, it's free, confidential and they can assist you with every step of the process if you decide to take things further. Worth thinking about.

ACAS might be worth a call as well. This is their field after all. They supply one of the panelists of any employment tribunal.

IanS

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 12 weeks ago (spent 10 days in hospital) since getting out I've had severe leg, feet & stomach pain combined with getting my insulin corrected and getting nowhere with figuring out whats the cause (viral or adjusting to getting better) the doc has signed me off stating diabetes as the reason my work have been cool with it so far