A vicious cycle:

Chelsea__

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been type 1 diabetic for nearly 6 years now, I was diagnosed when I was 13 so being a rebellious teenager I didn't really care about it after a couple of months and I got extremely tired of feeling different from my friends. It took me a long long time to come to terms with my diabetes and to realise it's not worth being so unwell for, as I've got my whole life ahead of me, I've been taken into hospital numerous times with being in DKA and have been in very dangerous situations where I was very lucky to come out okay and recover quickly. But even still now every now and then I get so fed up and stop taking my injections to where I start to feel unwell and before things get too dangerous I eventually get the motivation to take my insulin again, then I go on fine for a couple days till I feel better then I let everything slip and it's back to square one again. Does anyone have advice how to stop this vicious cycle? I just want to get this sorted and be as healthy as I can be.

Reactions: 2 people

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Chelsea, welcome to the forum. Like you and many others, I grossly mismanaged my diabetes as a teenager. I have only got to grips with it in the last 2 years. The good news is, you can get your control back if you know where to find the right information.

Feel free to have a look at my blog on this site. I have provided an in depth account of my journey with type 1, from diagnosis at 3, up to my current age of 28. I explain the many mistakes I made, and the solutions I came across.

One important point. As a general rule, children with poorly controlled diabetes are unjustly made to feel guilty. We have to work with our loved ones and health team to get good control, but we can't open up if we feel like we're being punished. Diabetes is not a law or a crime, it's a journey. If you can educate yourself, then you can be the one in the driver's seat. In that scenario, those around you can give advice on the route to take rather than acting like the traffic police.

Also, two words helped me completely change my outlook. Troy Stapleton. Search for him on YouTube, he's a doctor also with type 1 himself. His videos are amazing.

Best wishes, and I hope this is the beginning of your journey to good health and happiness.

Reactions: 3 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Chelsea__ I think we all feel this way at times...but the answer will be different for everyone. For me it was coming here and discovering LCHF...I got a kick out of seeing consistently 'happy numbers' :)...it made me feel like I was in control. Everyone will have their own way of achieving their own target...only you will know what is best for you. I'm sure you'll get many responses on how other people have managed to turn things around and while you can try each and every method...I think the most important factor is that you need to want to change things...want to feel better or more in control. I've been in a few bad places with my diabetes over the years but it wasn't until something happened that made me want to change that I took a good look inside myself and made it happen. I hope you find what works for you x

Chelsea__

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you's I really appreciate the support and advice! It's nice to know I'm not the only one that's struggled.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please don't ever feel alone...its a constant battle in our daily lives...sometimes we just get on with it as a matter of routine...other times it's a total pain and we just want it to stop...truth is...it won't ever stop...theres no let up...so we have to find ways to cope with it...its a mindset...it won't always be easy...but it won't always be impossible either. Keep coming back to this site...you will always find the support you need here x

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @Chelsea__
welcome to the forum.
I think by finding us and posting your feelings that you are a brave young lady :)

it was a long time ago when i was diagnosed but for the first couple of years I often cried myself to sleep and thought "why me".

first bit of advice from me -- start from today -- forget the past -- it's gone and done.

you've posted now so lets try and help you take 1 day at a time and lots of small steps -- let us know when you do something ( like doing a blood test , or remembering an injection , or anything at all.) None of us will judge you no matter what cuz we have all worn your shoes ( your jimmy choo's were a bit tight on my feet btw :D )

keep posting Chelsea !!

all the best !!

LucyM88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there Chelsea,

Don't ever feel alone in this, keep posting and feel positive! I've had diabetes for 15 years, I've been through the rebellious stage and thankfully it's behind me. Motivation is different for everyone, what got me was thinking if I became ill or worse...it's my family that suffers. Also, I want a family soon and I don't want myself or my future baby at risk from anything.

The 'rebellious stage' is very common with people, but we get through it. So will you. Keep coming on here, keep asking question, keep in contact with your diabetes team/nurse.

G

gymnastmatthew

I've been type 1 diabetic for nearly 6 years now, I was diagnosed when I was 13 so being a rebellious teenager I didn't really care about it after a couple of months and I got extremely tired of feeling different from my friends. It took me a long long time to come to terms with my diabetes and to realise it's not worth being so unwell for, as I've got my whole life ahead of me, I've been taken into hospital numerous times with being in DKA and have been in very dangerous situations where I was very lucky to come out okay and recover quickly. But even still now every now and then I get so fed up and stop taking my injections to where I start to feel unwell and before things get too dangerous I eventually get the motivation to take my insulin again, then I go on fine for a couple days till I feel better then I let everything slip and it's back to square one again. Does anyone have advice how to stop this vicious cycle? I just want to get this sorted and be as healthy as I can be.
hi i know what your going through the same if u need anyone to talk to or anything im here i know how hard it is