JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The practice nurse at my surgery advised me if I was to buy a meter to purchase the same model the doctor prescribes for.

Reactions: 2 people

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The practice nurse at my surgery advised me if I was to buy a meter to purchase the same model the doctor prescribes for.
Yes, I should have researched it a little better I think !!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I was referring to the metformin increase

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was referring to the metformin increase
Sorry.....When diabetic nurse saw how high it was, she upped the dose......I didn't ask for it......when I tested this morning before going to surgery it was 10.0.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi del80,a lot of people use this monitor because its one of the cheapest around and you'll get discount for being diabetic
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/
Del,

This is the one you need to buy. I used it before I was diagnosed Type 1: it works. You won't get it paid for, you'll have to do it yourself, but you really need to use it to manage your health and get well again.

I haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone posted you to Jenny Ruhl's website? It's very clear and very good. She makes the issues quite clear.

http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/phlaunt1?url=http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/#2831

Good luck Del - you can do it. You'll feel so much better once you're steering clear of the wrong foods.

Lucy

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Sorry.....When diabetic nurse saw how high it was, she upped the dose......I didn't ask for it......when I tested this morning before going to surgery it was 10.0.

So you were in your 20s with 500 and she's trebled the metformin dose despite the fact you've halved your numbers. Something is missing

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So you were in your 20s with 500 and she's trebled the metformin dose despite the fact you've halved your numbers. Something is missing
Surely if it is still to high, and I am now eating sensibly, then this is the way forward ?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Ask her, not me. If it was still "too high" then why weren't you on that metformin dose before now?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin is usually introduced slowly to reduce the upset stomach issues that some people have.

Regarding the meter purchase, for heavens sake shop around.

If you buy the same model the surgery would supply you could end up paying 3x more for your test strips than if you got the SD Codefree.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I've just visited this thread for the first time and have read it from beginning to end. I would like to say I think you are doing really, really well - but keep off that bread AND the oranges - they definitely seem to be your weakness. ;) :) When I first started with a low carb way of eating my BG was in the low 30s and it took three weeks to get down in to decent numbers. At the time my weakness was home made fruit smoothies - I just couldn't get my head around how something so healthy for other people could be unhealthy for me.

Diabetes nurses are an odd breed. My one is fully aware of how my low carb diet has reduced my numbers and, because she is pre-diabetic she is thinking of doing the same, but she still advises newly diagnosed people to eat that carby Eatwell Plate diet, I'm told its because they have guidelines that they have to follow. So keep this in mind when talking to your DN.

Definitely ignore her advice on getting the same monitor they would supply in the surgery UNLESS she gives you a prescription for strips in advance. AND, if she then is happy to give you a script for strips, she should also be supplying you with the meter to go with them.

Once again, you are doing GREAT!!! :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Metformin is usually introduced slowly to reduce the upset stomach issues that some people have.

Regarding the meter purchase, for heavens sake shop around.

If you buy the same model the surgery would supply you could end up paying 3x more for your test strips than if you got the SD Codefree.
The reason I bought the same meter as the surgery uses it that I still have hopes of persuading the doctor that I do have a pressing need to test because of my multiple conditions and also because the practice nurse is prepared to supply me with any spare test strips she may have.

But if this is not possible then I agree the CodeFree is the best option as regards to cost.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Surely if it is still to high, and I am now eating sensibly, then this is the way forward ?
Ask her, not me. If it was still "too high" then why weren't you on that metformin dose before now?

Come on Mike, go easy;). Most of the diabetic nurses are following a script, levels too high, up the Metformin. In fact, there is often a standard practice of upping it regardless of numbers, increasing until it gets to the magic 2000mg level. They tend not to have interest in how the patient is eating, just the levels they have - and one is often rushed out the door.
The main thing to concentrate on is that numbers have come down, which is great. But Del, you are still running pretty high, so you can't be complacent. You have had some excellent advice about food and the correct meter, so this is the way forward.
Apart from causing the squits, Metformin only brings numbers down by a small amount, so you can't rely on it to control the diabetes, you have to take control of it yourself.
Onward and upward:)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
There is a free app called MyFitnessPal - its a bit of a nuisance to get started with but when you do it is great for tracking your carbs. I use it every day at the moment. Once you know the amount of carbs you are eating at each meal and each day - and how that quantity of carbs corresponds with your meter tests - you can then experimenting with reducing a bit further on one meal or another if necessary. There are other apps and carb counting books available.

It really helps to know the exact amount of carbs you are consuming as the little suckers hide in some strange places. I'm very sensitive when it comes to carbs so I have to keep to a very low carb diet each day (I aim for less than 25g) otherwise my numbers go up to the same as yours. Even something simple like having a milky coffee can send them rocketing up.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Come on Mike, go easy;). Most of the diabetic nurses are following a script, levels too high, up the Metformin. In fact, there is often a standard practice of upping it regardless of numbers, increasing until it gets to the magic 2000mg level. They tend not to have interest in how the patient is eating, just the levels they have - and one is often rushed out the door.

Good one @ladybird64 :)

Somewhere along the line, they didn't treat this properly ... either at the outset, between and maybe even now .... but one thing I do know for sure. I'd be asking questions as it seems inconsistent, and that's being diplomatic.

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There seems to be a general belief amongst medical professional that metformin should be worked up to 2000mg a day
I have seen it mentioned all over the place.
But there's a fab video that explains better than I can, all the pros, cons, urban myths and fallacies about Metformin.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Brunneria - Interesting video! He answered a few questions of mine. So, basically, there's no real point in taking over 1000mg of Metformin each day. Looking at his statistics, I'm very pleased I have come off of the other drugs I've had prescribed over the years.

(I think he should give the whole music thing a miss though as I felt it sort of trivialised what he had to say. :) )

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Basically, what I got out of it was:

- metformin is okay at 1000mg but not much additional benefit at higher doses.

- Some diabetes meds seems to be a complete waste of time and money.

Thing that worried me most was when he said that one product was considered a success because it was shown to cause no more harm than a placebo. Now that is scary.

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just tested at 4:15pm.......6.8......that's the lowest it has been since I started testing.......now, is it because of my diet, or the higher dose of Metformin ?.....bearing in mind that this is only day 2 of being on 1500 mg.....one 500mg in the morning and 2 in the evening......whatever the cause well pleased !!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Thing that worried me most was when he said that one product was considered a success because it was shown to cause no more harm than a placebo. Now that is scary.
Well I wish you could say the same for Prednisolone.

Also saying a drug is no more harmful than a placebo is not the same as saying it no more beneficial than a placebo.