Future pregnancies and medication

naomi

I am planning on trying for baby number 2 after my wedding at the end of this month and last time with the first pregnancy i developed Gestational diabetes at 28 weeks onwards so was just on insulin.

This time around seeing as i am now officially diabetic i am obviously on medication prior to the pregnancy.

This is what i take:

Insulin - Apidra x 3 a day, Lactus x1 a day and then 3x 500mg slow release metformin with tea.

Now i know obviously there is no problem with the insulin but what about the slow release metformin? will i be safe to take this throughout the pregnancy? and breast feed?

I will be going to a pre conception clinic anyway though my diabetic team but just wanted a heads up on it before i go.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I would talk it through with youcare team before you embark on a pregnancy. They may put you on to insulin alone. In any case, a pregnancy will alter your body chemistry, so the control will have to be as and when
Good luck
Hana

nannybarbara

My daughter was put on novorapid and levemir. She was stopped from taking any tablets as they cross the placenta whilst insulin does not. I believe that Lantus is not recommended for pregnant ladies.

Barb

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNe ... 7720070421
It's not been tested specifically on pregnant women, but there's no reason to believe it's unsafe.

I took it throughout my pregnancy, and had no problems. Tight glucose control is the most important thing.

Control while your pregnant is difficult, you get nausea, severe hunger, spiralling blood sugars.
Do the best you can, and try not to worry.
Good luck !

naomi

Thanks for your replies! I am awaiting a call from my diabetic nurse so i will brake the news to her that i want to start trying for baby asap and see what they need me to do :p