VICTOZA users

aitana0104

Re: VICTOZA

Hi all

I have been a diabetic for about 15 years and tried everthing to get my levels under control.
I have been on Victoza for about 6 weeks now. I am on 1.8mg while it is bringing my sugar levels down and I have lost 1 stone in weight I really feel very sick all the time and I cannt stop belching but I mean to the point it is both painful and embarrassing. I have a constant headache as well. :(
Does anyone know of anyhing that could help me feel a bit better. ps I also take 2 x 500 slow release metformin

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

aitana0104 said:
Hi all

I have been a diabetic for about 15 years and tried everthing to get my levels under control.
I have been on Victoza for about 6 weeks now. I am on 1.8mg while it is bringing my sugar levels down and I have lost 1 stone in weight I really feel very sick all the time and I cannt stop belching but I mean to the point it is both painful and embarrassing. I have a constant headache as well. :(
Does anyone know of anyhing that could help me feel a bit better. ps I also take 2 x 500 slow release metformin

Here is a link to the known side effects of Victoza.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9281#p87887

At least three could be related to your symptoms. However Metformin could also be responsible. Either way you need to discuss this with your GP to find a solution.

Kathy86

I have also noticed that I seem to wake alot in the night and find it difficult to go back to sleep, but thought it was stress related. Apart from a brilliant improvement in my levels people have also told me how well I am looking and I certainly feel much better than I have done in a long while. I had headaches with Victoza but they seem to have gone away over the last couple of weeks (started victoza approx 15th September). Try peppermint tea to combat the sickness and belching. My Nurse also told me on my review last week that other people have told her that they have a relaxed chilled out feeling since taking Victoza. Please keep your posts coming as I find them very helpful. :D

Linda Jean

Hi all,

Just a quick update - I've been injecting Victoza for almost 3 weeks now and apart from an initial queasy feeling which lasted a couple of days I haven't had any side effects at all. Ive lost about 2lb so am pleased with that. I found that the queasy feeling went away when I ate something.

My blood sugar level before starting Victoza was 8.1 and now its between 6.2 and 7. I have another month and then the doc may increase the dosage but for the time being I'm happy on it.

Linda

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

Hi, I have just joined and thought I would post a reply as I too have just started the victoza. I had a 0.6 dose for the first week and had a little nausea and sleep pattern seemed a bit odd. Have upped the dose this week to 1.2 and the nausea has definitely kicked in now and am a bit tired and waking early and can't get off to sleep. My GP has referred me to a diabetic specilist GP who advised this victoza was the best thing to be on as although I have lost six stone it has taken me years and I have a way to go yet. She said it would help with my weight, keep cholesterol down and blood pressure would improve. She also said a lot of her patients were reporting as to feeling really well and happy!! My sugar levels have been at between 9 and 11 for the last year (I am on metformin) or so having been diagnosed at a level of 10 in 2002. My quartely level was 8.4 the last two check ups. I have been swimming every day for an hour and really trying to eat well to try and get my levels down myself but have finally given in to help. I have also noticed I am not as hungry, probably due to the nausea, but that will help with the weight I guess. My GP said all these things should pass in a few weeks..... I read a post by someone back in July who mentioned this drug has been banned in the US due to suspected link with thyroid cancer in rats!!?? My GP told me there were no long term side effects known when I started this.. does anyone know any different?? Oh and my sugar levels have been between 7 and 7.9 already - very impressed with it so far. Good luck everyone else.. thanks

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type

ohhhh just read some of the other side effects on an earlier post - not had any of those and even if I had increased wind I am not sure I would ever admit to it!! I understand the nausea will pass and I have to say I feel great on this ... cant wait to lose weight!! x

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi dont worry about other side effects ive certainly realized not everyones the same with side effects im really pleased for you its good stuff the victoza ive been on it 3 months now loosing weight improved sugar levels single figures interesting what you said about sleeping pattern i didnt realize it was to do with victoza thanks :!: :!: i couldnt tolerate the byetta but theres lots of people on here whom get along great with it once again im pleased for you and welcome to the forum

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type

Thanks Candyog, yes I hadnt realised it could be the victoza affecting my sleep but having read other posts in here it seems we are not alone!!

Kathy86

I am going into hospital tomorrow for a small gynae op and wondered if anyone had had an anasthetic whilst on victoza? Am slightly concerned that they won't know enough about it?!!! :(

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Kathy86 said:
I am going into hospital tomorrow for a small gynae op and wondered if anyone had had an anasthetic whilst on victoza? Am slightly concerned that they won't know enough about it?!!! :(

Usually before any sort of operation you would have had a pre-op at which all your medications would have been noted. The anaesthetist will be fully aware of all your medications and will no doubt have checked for any possible problems. They do not leave anything to chance. I shouldn't worry yourself, they are highly qualified and will know what they are doing.

Kathy86

I hope so, my main concern is that when I went for my pre op I wasn't taking victoza and I spoke to the pre op nurse the other day and she didn't know anything about victoza. But you are right they are highly trained and I will take the box and the leaflet with me tomorrow.

cugila

Master
Dislikes

In that case....can I add hopefully...... :D

bbsued

Re: VICTOZA injection time

I am going onto victoza next week after being on byette for 18 month but never realy tolerated it

and have never been able to take more tha 5mg my question to all you fellow victoza user when do you take your injection i know you can take it any time but is one time better than another would aprciate any feed back from fellow users

thanks bbsue

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type

Hi bbsued, In repsonse to your post and bearing in mind I have only been using victoza for two weeks tomorrow, my gp said you can take it whenver you like as long as its roughly the same time each day. I take mine at night and am wondering if that was a good idea as I am not sleeping so well and am not wondering if it would be better in the morning. GP says it makes no difference so I am not sure.... my sugars were 6.6 last night and 6.4 this morning - woo hoo !! x

cugila

Master
Dislikes

clairy clutterbuck said:
Hi bbsued, In repsonse to your post and bearing in mind I have only been using victoza for two weeks tomorrow, my gp said you can take it whenver you like as long as its roughly the same time each day. I take mine at night and am wondering if that was a good idea as I am not sleeping so well and am not wondering if it would be better in the morning. GP says it makes no difference so I am not sure.... my sugars were 6.6 last night and 6.4 this morning - woo hoo !! x

Are you taking Victoza late at night just before bedtime....? The accepted instructions are to take it during the daytime so most people take it somewhere between 7am and 7pm. I have never heard of anybody taking it at night, anybody else using this method ?

No idea if it will affect your sleep pattern as the info we have here is all very sketchy, coupled with what we are learning from the folks on it. It does have an effect over 24 hrs so it may be OK to do so....?

Sleep problems are certainly not a known side effect, however I would be more inclined to take it in the daytime anyway. Maybe you should try moving the injection time to the morning and see if the sleep problem goes. If not then I would suggest you discuss that with your GP as this could be indicative of other problems.

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type

Yes Cugila I am taking it at 10.30pm as GP said whenever - I am however having read various posts in here and with what you have now said, thinking about moving it to the morning. Other posts have also mentioned sleep disturbance although I had not had that info from the GP. I think it all passes eventually anyway. I have lost 2kg already so thats good and my sugars seem to be in the 6's mostly which from 10 is pretty good in a couple of weeks. Had a 4.9 as well and nearly fell off the chair!! The nausea seems to have passed as well. I am testing after eating when I can and home made dumplings are definitely a no no !! lol

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi clairy.

Glad to hear that things are improving for you. The numbers are definitely a plus. If you do move to morning injection can you let us know how you get on, whether the sleep problems improve etc. Thanks. :D

Hi Kathy86.
Glad to hear all went well with the Op. I suppose I was expecting too much that a HCP should know about Victoza....still all's well. Just an aside. I recently had to see a Consultant for a condition unrelated to Diabetes.
He stuck me on some drugs and then asked what other meds I took. Mentioned Byetta to which his response was, "What's that ?" Bearing in mind he is probably on £300,000+ per year I found it rather surreal that I ended up giving him a lecture in what it is, how it works and it's effects. I did think of asking for a Consultancy Fee.....but he could make life very difficult for me so thought better of it.... :D :lol:

cragrat

Hi,

Just joined this forum today really due to frustration at my medication and was looking for any information on the use of Victoza by anyone in Scotland as I keep getting told it is not SMC approved yet.

I was diagnosed Type II in july 2007 and am now on 3 x 850 mgs Metformin + 1 x 100mgs sitagliptin. 1 x 75 mgs Asprin and 40 mgs simvistatin. I was on Gliclacide but my weight rose by 1.5 stones in less than a year. As a result I moved to the sitagliptin with a view to going on Victoza when it became SMC approved. I was speaking to a colleague today who said that his friend who is also type II has been prescribed Victoza but cant start it till Thursday which is the approval date. Can anyone confirm this or have you been on it longer in Scotland?

I am a bit frustrated any info would be great.

Thanks

humph

clairy clutterbuck said:
Yes Cugila I am taking it at 10.30pm as GP said whenever - I am however having read various posts in here and with what you have now said, thinking about moving it to the morning. Other posts have also mentioned sleep disturbance although I had not had that info from the GP. I think it all passes eventually anyway. I have lost 2kg already so thats good and my sugars seem to be in the 6's mostly which from 10 is pretty good in a couple of weeks. Had a 4.9 as well and nearly fell off the chair!! The nausea seems to have passed as well. I am testing after eating when I can and home made dumplings are definitely a no no !! lol

The main problem is that liraglutide is only active for around 16 hours, not a full 24 hours.

So if you take it at 10.30pm the drug has worn off by 4.30pm, so you are probably getting little effect with your evening meal, which is usually our larger meal of the day.

I take my dose when I first get up.