Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi. I'm still using the libre. I've learned to take the readings with a pinch of salt. Some sensors are great, some you could only use as a guide. You learn how your body works with them and if you treat each sensor with different logic it's fine. Had a few days and weeks off here and there and feel totally lost without it

Totally get what you mean @Emmotha, wouldn't like to rely solely on the Libre readings and not check with a finger prick test.

I'm having a month off from the Libre, decided I'm just going to order the sensors as when I want them rather than on regular basis. It is a great device but the sensor accuracy needs to be greatly improved, sometimes it can be extremely accurate and other times way out.

Reactions: 4 people

Assimilator1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My 11 year old son has been using the Libre since November 2015.
It's been a god-send tbh and would struggle without it now, it really does make things so much easier.
We've never had one fall off before the two weeks have been up (we've not used any rocktape or tegaderm over the top) nor had a skin reaction (we've not used compeed or anything underneath) nor had a faulty sensor.
The readings have to be taken with a pinch of salt in our experience. If his levels are in range and going in an even straight line then they tend to be fairly reliable but the higher he is and dropping or rising fast then the more out the reading is, as much as 5mmol+ out. As a general rule of thumb we always assume that the reading is at least 1mmol out and if the reader says he's about 5mmol and dropping fast he's probably already hypo (due to the 15 min time lag).
Overall though, the trends and knowing whether his BG is rising or falling and at what speed is its main benefit for us and has been invaluable particularly in terms of general sugar surfing and planning snacks and activities out.
It is expensive but we've made cuts elsewhere as it makes life so much easier.
I hope this answers any questions you may have about it.
Thank you for your reply :), useful, to know, pity that it's so far out with high & fast changing levels, fast changing I understand as that's an inevitable consequence of measuring with interstitial fluid (I get that with my CGMs too), but the higher level issue is disappointing.

Thanks for your replies too Emmotha & Noblehead :)
It doesn't sound too promising!

No one else want to comment on their experiences with the Libre??

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using the libre for just a month but I am finding it really useful.
I was a bit dubious at first as it was giving me very different results to my Aviva Expert monitor I use. However I have grown to really like it.
A few reasons.
I still use my blood test for meals but at the same time do a scan and then use the libre to monitor how it changes rather than as an absolute number. It's great as I've just started running again and it's been invaluable showing me the trends in my bs during these runs.
I think as other people have said you have to find if its for you or not as its not cheap.
My next sensors are a bit delayed getting here and I'll prob have a week without it and I already know I'm going to miss it.
I have sort of figured out how it differs from my actual BS levels and find its perfect for when you're out and about, it's discreet and quick and simple to use.
Only 2 sensors in and they've shown no signs of falling off or any reactions.
Who knows in time I might have a less favourable opinion but to date it gets the thumbs up from me!
Andrea

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone managed to get the Professional Options code yet? Annoying that we're paying for it but can't access the full menu.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone managed to get the Professional Options code yet? Annoying that we're paying for it but can't access the full menu.

It's on this thread somewhere (in the 200 pages!). I think it was @tim2000s who gave it to me. If it wasn't him, hopefully he might recall who had it.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Abbott are alive and have at last responded to my request for email support.

The mail was quite long, but contained a sentence I would like to hear some feedback upon, based on existing user experiences, so I'm going to set up a thread with a poll.

If you have ever reported an inaccurate sensor, please take a moment to respond. It will help me form my word response to them.

Many thanks.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anyone had a delayed order from them? I ordered a week ago and they're not even dispatched yet. Last time I ordered, I had them 2 days later.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Must be running into supply issues again. Even with the new plant. The challenges of a successful product...

Centari

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I have just purchased a Freestyle, We have input the code to unlock the HCA Options, as we wanted the Calc.
Set it all up and all appears good.
But it does not display the calc anywhere on the screens. Anybody else had this ? or are using the Calc fine ??

Any pointer would be great

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi
I have just purchased a Freestyle, We have input the code to unlock the HCA Options, as we wanted the Calc.
Set it all up and all appears good.
But it does not display the calc anywhere on the screens. Anybody else had this ? or are using the Calc fine ??

Any pointer would be great
Do you mean, can you use the bolus wizard when you scan? If so the answer is no, only when you blood test.

pmtbrew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Changed the sensor 10 days ago (just before a weeks holiday) and have had high sugars whilst away.

I have just done two blood tests (freestyle and accucheck aviva ) which gave me 5.0 and 4.8mml/l. The freestyle scan gave me 6.3 mmol/l, a variance of around 25%. Is this normal?

bluebeach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I suspect that the next pair of sensors I order maybe the changed adhesive if it was changed

The sensor (first in over a year it seems) has just timed out. I've removed it to find a red mark commensurate with having a sticking plaster on for a fortnight. No problems with it sticking either. I'm not going to install another one now for a couple of weeks as the information given by this one has showed my basal to be fine overnight and the insulin profile after food to be as I expected.

I shall miss it around the golf course as my sugars tend to wander a bit whilst playing but feel that one sensor a month will give me the information I need.

Now to see how long the mark takes to fade...

Hi All,

I am from Hungary, just got a chance to try Freestyle Libre Flash, however I cannot download the software itself, due to webpage limitations as I am searching from Hungary. Do you know how to download, or may somebody could send it to me? I need it to communicate with my doctor.

Thanks a lot!!!!
Zoltán

Email removed by Moderator for privacy.

Last edited by a moderator:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi All,

I am from Hungary, just got a chance to try Freestyle Libre Flash, however I cannot download the software itself, due to webpage limitations as I am searching from Hungary. Do you know how to download, or may somebody could send it to me? I need it to communicate with my doctor.

Thanks a lot!!!!
Zoltán

Email removed by Moderator for privacy.
You may not be able to download if you are not in a country where it is currently supported. I'd suggest you use Diasend which gives you more or less the same information and is available globally. http://www.diasend.com

Sponge89

Hi guys. Just about to pull the trigger and order one of these. What I want to know is, is it worth it? I've read loads of mixed reviews and I'm really not sure about the accuracy of it. I'm t1 and sugars at the moment are running quite high. Ok I'll tell the truth I'm getting a bit lazy as far as control is concerned and I'm hoping this will give me a kick up the backside. So, any good?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi guys. Just about to pull the trigger and order one of these. What I want to know is, is it worth it? I've read loads of mixed reviews and I'm really not sure about the accuracy of it. I'm t1 and sugars at the moment are running quite high. Ok I'll tell the truth I'm getting a bit lazy as far as control is concerned and I'm hoping this will give me a kick up the backside. So, any good?

Yes I think it is, I got off to a bad start with the first sensor but the next two were accurate enough, just be sure to do a few bg tests if you do go ahead and buy the Libre just to keep an eye on the accuracy. As a type 1 you should find it useful for basal testing if nothing else.

Sponge89

Yes I think it is, I got off to a bad start with the first sensor but the next two were accurate enough, just be sure to do a few bg tests if you do go ahead and buy the Libre just to keep an eye on the accuracy. As a type 1 you should find it useful for basal testing if nothing else.
Good enough for me, will order now. Cheers.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Hi @NikiMilligan
I'm just exploring the possible links between Chronic Fatigue and Diabetes. I don't think it's anything earth-shattering but it may help someone somewhere in the future.
My CFS was part of the reason I gave up work. Having had it and managed to hold down a job for over 20 years I had started feeling more tired than usual and thought it was getting worse. It's likely this was diabetes, and of course I ignored the signs. I'm on a water tablet, so weeing every hour wasn't unusual. It was only when I lost 8 lbs in a fortnight over Christmas I had a urine test followed rapidly by a blood test.

I'm always interested in what caused the original CFS/ME diagnosis, and would welcome any information you want to share. All the best.