Tiredness

Sallies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed only a week ago, and the last couple of days feeling really tired, and today is such an effort to do things. Am just wondering if it's due to a very low carb diet and losing around 5lb. I feel very low and tearful, this is also getting near to my due date to my lost baby in September. I have a phobia with any type of needle so doing my glucose tests 3 times a day is tough for my. Am sticking to the diet, but struggling with the rest of my well being help:(

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You'll take a while to get accustomed to the diet. That's number 1. Number 2 is the lancet and the needle ... as time progresses, you'll get comfortable with that as well. Search the forum for suggestions on how to take your readings and the best methods that work for a variety of people. Good readings make you quickly forget any perceived discomfort. :)

Number 3 ... and it should have been number 1. I am so sorry for you and your loss. You've been through a fair bit (understatement of some magnitude) so please lean on the good people here as it's the finest forum on the 'net. We all care for our "own" so rest assured, we're here for you.

Mike

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I am sorry for your loss. You have been through a great deal of strife so please don't beat yourself up even more.

If you have suddenly reduced your carbs to very low, the tiredness is possibly because you are not replacing that lost energy. You must also increase your fat intake. The less carbs you eat the more fat you must eat to maintain energy levels. It is a difficult balancing act, but essential. There could, of course, be other reasons, so if things don't improve, have a word with your doctor.

Reactions: 4 people

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Sallies I am sorry for your loss, grief can make you feel tired and very drained, as can shock. Many of us are in shock after a diagnosis.
Added to switching to a low carb diet, the rough tired feeling many people get when going lowcarb is common, it will pass, add a bit more fat to your diet.

There is a lot of help and support on the forum so stick around.

Sallies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Mike, it's so nice to hear from yourself and other that have answered and giving reassurance even though am struggling, thanks again for your advice.

Sallies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you everyone for your advice, and don't worry I will be hanging around with more questions as there arise, thanks again it's really appreciated.

Reactions: 5 people

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I too am sorry to hear of your loss. I went through the same and even though it was 30 years ago, I can still remember how raw it all felt.

To reinforce what the others have already said, you can feel really rough when you drop a load of carbs - it's called carb flu - your body needs time to adjust to the totally different regime it is now under - it does get better, I promise. I can remember standing in the shower on the morning of about day 6 of my lower carbing regime and thinking that I'd made a mistake as I felt so bloody awful.

One tip I was given here that did help, was to ensure that you get enough salt - I found drinking a hot Oxo cube drink really helped how I felt. It takes a few days adjusting, but it will be worth it long-term, I promise.

Another thing to consider is that as your blood sugar drops with the change in eating regime, your body needs to adjust to that too and that can have an impact on how you feel also. If you can stick it out for a few more days, I'm sure you'll pick up.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Could you clarify between are you fatigued or sleepy ? Diabetes can make you very fatigued and want to rest. If however you sleep a lot, don't feel refreshed and fall asleep within minutes then you are sleepy. Both symptoms have a wide range of potential diagnoses so see your GP if you are worried and especially if it persists. Take care, it's an awful thing to suffer from.:)

Reactions: 4 people

Sallies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Could you clarify between are you fatigued or sleepy ? Diabetes can make you very fatigued and want to rest. If however you sleep a lot, don't feel refreshed and fall asleep within minutes then you are sleepy. Both symptoms have a wide range of potential diagnoses so see your GP if you are worried and especially if it persists. Take care, it's an awful thing to suffer from.:)
It's fatigued.

Carro

I was diagnosed only a week ago, and the last couple of days feeling really tired, and today is such an effort to do things. Am just wondering if it's due to a very low carb diet and losing around 5lb. I feel very low and tearful, this is also getting near to my due date to my lost baby in September. I have a phobia with any type of needle so doing my glucose tests 3 times a day is tough for my. Am sticking to the diet, but struggling with the rest of my well being help:(

Carro

Oh Sallies, my deepest sympathy to you, life is being so cruel to you. Try and get hold of your diabetic team and at least talk to them if not go and see them. Try and test as often as you possibly can, it really is the way to go. I have been T1 for 64 years now, and find that I still have bad days, especially last week when I developed a bad infection behind a recently filled tooth and had blood sugars I am too ashamed to admit too! You can talk to us lot, most of us have had good and bad times, please try and test, test and test again. Do not go to sleep without testing and if below 4 have a drink of milk or similar.

get2rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had been experiencing fatigue for over ten years so pretty much had annual tests for T2 but as I exercised daily, was of a healthy weight and ate a balanced, nutritious diet I always tested negative, When I fell ill four years ago I was considerably physically restricted. Obviously the exercise was out of the question and when I was tested again it came up positive. It's important to mention that as someone who was adopted I had no way of knowing if diabetes was a hereditary trait. More importantly since prescribed Metformin and Forxiga the fatigue has really kicked in to the point that most days it's really difficult to do anything. I firmly believe these and similar meds are a factor/play a part in contributing to fatigue simply because that draw all sugar out of the body. So add that to a low carb diet and you have a double edged sword. One thing I found is sweetners also add to fatigue as although they are not trues sugars they do fool the brain and cause blood spikes. I read up on Stevia sweetener, which is 100% natural. derived from the leaves of the Stevia plant. This is the only sweetener that doesn't cause spikes. I have been using this for two months now and the effects have been remarkable. Not only do I not feel so tiered or generally feeling ill but because they haven't spiked my blood I don't crave sugary things that I started craving when I was put on the meds. I believe the meds actually cause sugar cravings because, as mentioned, they draw sugar out of the body. I think there are many factors to consider when maintaining T2 diabetes and the trick being to find what works for you as there is no one hard and fast rule but hopefully there maybe some info here that may help you out a bit. The Stevia was one of the biggest helps for me. The best tasting product I found was "TRUVIA" granules. If you have sugar cravings or use sweeteners I really suggest switching to it. Good luck.

NickyHarrison

You'll take a while to get accustomed to the diet. That's number 1. Number 2 is the lancet and the needle ... as time progresses, you'll get comfortable with that as well. Search the forum for suggestions on how to take your readings and the best methods that work for a variety of people. Good readings make you quickly forget any perceived discomfort. :)

Number 3 ... and it should have been number 1. I am so sorry for you and your loss. You've been through a fair bit (understatement of some magnitude) so please lean on the good people here as it's the finest forum on the 'net. We all care for our "own" so rest assured, we're here for you.

Mike
How lovely