Type 2 What fruits should people with diabetes eat?

dfeeh14

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Blues in sport and politics
In defence of "intelligent eating" who has been removed from the room ... apparently ... I was told, when diagnosed, to eat "at least" two pieces of fruit a day and that temperate zone fruits - strawberries, apple, pears, etc. - are to be preferred. One of my remaining proofs of god (i.e. only a god could have created them) had to go: mangoes. I later was told that "at least" two pieces means "only" two pieces. I sin. I eat 2-3 pieces of fruit a day, including grapes by the handful when my wife forgets that they are naughty, and have never suffered in this habit. Other things batter my numbers, but never fruit ... in moderation, always eaten as whole fruit ... and wait a tad longer to measure the BGL.

Reactions: 2 people

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you please tell me the good and bad fruit that I can eat. Been T2 for 15 years now. Not apples or pears. I know grapes aren't that good for you. I love water melon but not sure if it contains alot of sugar. Over the years it's changed so much of what you can or can't eat. Gets very confusing at times.
I will eat any fruit BUT it must be eaten WITH a meal as in this way it doesn't spike your blood sugar as it is is being digested with the rest of the food you are eating. That was the best piece of advice I was ever given. If I eat fruit between meals i.e. on its own it spikes my bs. BTW eating fruit after your meal with full fat double cream is one of the best ways for it to be absorbed slowly into the blood stream as this is what the fat does!!
Re water melon - some say high GI some say low GI and I think it is to do with the fact that there is so much water in it. i.e. a ;ittle of waht you fancy as a desert with every meal is fine. I will even eat a small apple or pear. Re bananas - I only eat these on the way to the gym where I amgoing to use it uo anyway!!

matchell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can you please tell me the good and bad fruit that I can eat. Been T2 for 15 years now. Not apples or pears. I know grapes aren't that good for you. I love water melon but not sure if it contains alot of sugar. Over the years it's changed so much of what you can or can't eat. Gets very confusing at times.

All fruits contain sucrose, so I believe it's best avoid them as much as possible apart from blueberries and raspberries. Look online for carb content and you can see that most fruits are pretty high

figgywiggy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

figgywiggy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read somewhere recently that new research has shown that a compound in fruit helps your body deal with the sugar in it. However lots of diabetics test and say that isn't true. Will try and find the research. It was in the last few weeks.

AndiBagnall

Hi! Humans were not designed to eat fruit all year round - keep it to an absolute minimum! Fructose seems particularly problematic for our bodies.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
So I suppose the two satsumas I've had today where a bit of a mistake.
Yes could be, I don't eat them but I do eat 2 plums a day melon, pears a few times a week bananas, and raspberries I eat a lot of these. Everyone is different keep testing.:)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was diagnosed the only advice from the GP was to eat lots of fruit and vegetables but not melons or mangoes !! Fortunately I found this forum !!
CAROL

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Had one satsuma today with lunch no huge spike as previously. Still went up though but manageable.

I once spent about six weeks on a diabetic ward, in fact I was the only patient who wasn't diabetic one of the other patients who it seemed was low on potassium was prescribed by the doctors something like 4 bananas a day.

Beach_lover

I don't ever test my blood sugars , but my yearly Hbaic for type 2 is always 42, which my nurse says is good control! I eat most fruits every day but limit starchy carbs to about 100 grams a day and just half a Lidl protein roll , no other bread! am I being too complacent? On holidays I sort of eat what I want within reason! Advice please ! my doctor has said that I am just mildly diabetic! I am 5ft 7in tall And weigh 11st 4lbs!

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
42 is pre-diabetic and not diabetic. Were you diagnosed originally with a higher figure?

juliegeorge13

Hi,
I eat fruit every morning a mixture of berries with apple or melon topped with Fat free Greek yoghurt and well dusted with cinnamon, it has no effect on my readings don't know if it's the yoghurt or the cinnamon but whatever it is it works for me. Jx

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
When I was diagnosed the only advice from the GP was to eat lots of fruit and vegetables but not melons or mangoes !! Fortunately I found this forum !!
CAROL
Hi I eat melon and watermelon full of water and I can get away with eating these does not rise my BG readings I suggest try and then test. Everyone is different, I eat fruit after meals so they digest with my meal, hope this is of help to you.:)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi,
I eat fruit every morning a mixture of berries with apple or melon topped with Fat free Greek yoghurt and well dusted with cinnamon, it has no effect on my readings don't know if it's the yoghurt or the cinnamon but whatever it is it works for me. Jx
Hi juliegeorge13, I eat fruit every day too, sometimes with greek or alpro yogurt, never thought of putting the cinnamon on as I do use it on other foods. It is supposed to be good for BG readings I have been told. I think it could be both the yogurt and the cinnamon.:happy:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I always have either blueberries or raspberries with my yoghurt but I also occasionally enjoy some cheese and apple.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Berries are recommended. I usually eat a few raspberries.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from the blood glucose spikes (which vary from person to person and fruit to fruit) I only eat small portions occasionally because:

- our meter tests at 2 hours don't show the full story. Fruit often spikes very high very quickly, and then by 2 hours the spike is long gone.

- fruit sugar is fructose. This is digested in the liver by a different process than glucose. There is evidence that fructose contributes to non alcoholic fatty liver disease which is one of the main reasons type 2 diabetes develops.

Also worth avoiding high fructose corn syrup for the same reason!