Type 2s: What have you eaten today?

Rudyard

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, yesterday was a day stuck inside! Wanted to take a stroll but it was too busy leathering it down! Stuck inside at work and read during lunch!

Breakout was FABULOUS! We all convened at a restaurant called Vapiano by The Printworks in Manchester and I had had Insalata Reef & Beef - basically a massive salad bowl (thankfully full of salad) with roasted med veg, prawns and rare beef. Not only yum, but filling. I picked at a small slice of garlic bread half-inched from one of my colleagues followed by a double espresso. I diligently stayed away from the Death By Chocolate... But was tempted!

An hour of problem solving and room escaping followed and then a speedy drive home.

Today is walnuts for a snack, loads of coffee and the penultimate cassolet for lunch..Supper is burgers for all. I'll make cheesey & bacon burgers with fried for teh boys. We'll have similar, but I'll make slightly smaller burgers for me to sit atop lettuce and mayo buns for me. Not sure about the veg element - either more celeriac chips or maybe a load of broccoli & butternut squash.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Evening All
3 x optifast shakes
Veges and 2 glasses of red wine - my excuse was I had to attend for work the opening night of The Spiegal Tent in Canberra. I might add that I waved pass the Sausage Rolls, The Fancy sandwiches, the crepes and the cakes using the 2 glasses of red for fortification
2 days to go!

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evening from Downunder

3 x Optifast Shakes and Steamed Veges
1 day to go (I am so tired)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
B A toasted crumpet with butter.

L Half a tin of macaroni cheese

D Gammon and pineapple stir-fry

Aliboo64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty. being in physical pain with my disability. Feeling 'drugged' out on prescribed medication that's needed for pain. Sleep problems.
I had:

Breakfast - small bowl of gluten free cornflakes with skimmed milk

Lunch - Chicken breast with bacon and cheese and BBQ sauce, served with a bakesd pot and side salad

Tea - Home made Chicken and mushroom curry with rice.

The curry wasn't so good! LOL

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
3 x optifast shakes and Steamed Veges
But last day of ND Rippa!!!!

Breakfast tomorrow 1 x Chump Chop, 1 x Beef Sausage, 1 x Poached egg & 2 by Grilled tomato- Yes!!!!

Reactions: 5 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Early - Slice of Tasty Cheese
B - Sausage and Egg Toasted Sandwich (reward for cracking 90kg) Felt like I had swallowed a brick all afternoon)
Snack - Full Milk Coffee
L - 2 Slices of Cheese with 4 slices of Chicken
Snack - Chicken and Cheese
D- Rump Steak, Garden Salad with Avocado

Reactions: 4 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Yesterday 22/02/16
BG reading morning 6.1
B Half a lidl roll / 1 tomato / 2 poached eggs.
L 1 tin Mackeral fillets in tomato sauce / 2 crackerbread / peanut butter
S Melon
D Chicken breast / mediteranian veg
BG reading 2hrs after dinner 5

Reactions: 2 people

BigRoly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've just been put on a no-carbs diet for the next 12 months. This morning I had an egg, a bit of fish and some green salad and a cup of tea with no sugar. I'm expecting the same for lunch, minus the egg, and this evening I shall prepare some stew containing chicken, garlic, spring onions, spinach etc. (No flour products, no potatoes, rice, pasta, no fruit, no nuts, no sugar in any shape or form. Just dead animals and leaves. I need to lose a few stone.)

Rudyard

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just been put on a no-carbs diet for the next 12 months. This morning I had an egg, a bit of fish and some green salad and a cup of tea with no sugar. I'm expecting the same for lunch, minus the egg, and this evening I shall prepare some stew containing chicken, garlic, spring onions, spinach etc. (No flour products, no potatoes, rice, pasta, no fruit, no nuts, no sugar in any shape or form. Just dead animals and leaves. I need to lose a few stone.)

Good Luck with your diet - Hope it goes well for you.

If it's helpful, try making your own stocks - fish, beef, lamb, chicken and veg. Not only do they taste fabulous, but you know exactly what has gone into them! If you have a local butcher - use 'em! Also, check out the cheaper bits of meat and slow cooking methods for some truely delicious meals that will fill you, taste great and help to keep the carb craving at bay.

I'm also pretty sure that a zero carb diet may be possible for a while, but not a permanent fixture - try using veg like butternut squash - it does contain carbs, but you can use smaller amounts and roasting with garlic and rosemary makes 'em super tasty - similarly with celeriac - roasting wedges, gratin dishes and the like will again fill you and taste superb!

Hope things work well for you!

PS - Have you heard about the carb holiday? I experienced this before I knew what it was. When you drastically cut your carbs you start to lose weight really quite quickly, but the minute you stop, you hit a plateau that is hard to get over!

All the best - and don't forget to exercise, too - it'll help you feel SO much better - just walking helps. Talking purely from person experience here!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
B A poached egg on a plate

L Half a bowl of carrot and coriander soup home made. and 2 satsumas

D Going to be fish with chilli and lime and cauliflower cheese.

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
B the usual Greek yoghurt with berries
L grated cheese and mayo in a lettuce wrap, handful of Brazil nuts and half an avocado
D Scrambled eggs with onions cooked in butter, grilled portobello mushroom
S I spent the afternoon at my mum's house so introduced her to gluten free cheese crackers. She's Type 2 as well and has been looking for a reduced carb snack to have mid-afternoon, these are 6g of carbs for 2 crackers so they're better than Ritz!

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Experimented with dinner today. Today 23/02/16 BG reading this morning 6.2
B Half a lidl roll toasted / 1 poached egg / 3 slices of dry cure smoked bacon / grilled.
L Half a banana / 1 plum / 3 pieces of water melon.
D Chicken / button mushrooms / onions / red peppers / cooked in a wok last minute added in 2 tblsp of Basmati wholegrain rice. Suger free jelly with whipped double cream [ added a bit of vanilla essence and almond essence to the cream] 2 pieces of strawberries and 2 pieces of banana on top.
First time I have had rice since being diagnosed in Jan this year.
BG reading 2 hrs after dinner 5.3

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Experimented with dinner today. Today 23/02/16 BG reading this morning 6.2
B Half a lidl roll toasted / 1 poached egg / 3 slices of dry cure smoked bacon / grilled.
L Half a banana / 1 plum / 3 pieces of water melon.
D Chicken / button mushrooms / onions / red peppers / cooked in a wok last minute added in 2 tblsp of Basmati wholegrain rice. Suger free jelly with whipped double cream [ added a bit of vanilla essence and almond essence to the cream] 2 pieces of strawberries and 2 pieces of banana on top.
First time I have had rice since being diagnosed in Jan this year.
BG reading 2 hrs after dinner 5.3

Hi @amgrundy, those are really good readings. Are you on meds or is it just diet?

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good Evening All

B Sausage and 2 x fried eggs
S Milk Coffee
L Ham and Cheese
S Chicken 2 slices
D Beef Chilli with Tomatoes

1500 cal 52g carb

Seems like a lot after 800 cals a day

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi @amgrundy, those are really good readings. Are you on meds or is it just diet?
Hi there, I was diagnosed in Jan this year with a reading of 19.3, was nearly sent in hospital, but it was new Years Eve and I persuaded the doctor not to send me. I went to the doctors with flu, then after all blood tests was told I had diabetes. :eek: The doctor put me on metformin 500mg 1 daily for first week then increase to 2 daily on second week. I have now changed to Metformin SR last friday as I had a few problems with my stomach on the standard ones. I have stuck to the LCHF diet, I have to be carefull with too much fat so if I can I have Low Fat. If you go on the forum What Have You Eaten Today you will see all my daily meals I usually do them everyday. I needed to loose some weight. At time if diagnosis I was 12st 4lbs. now 11st. I feel healthier and gone down from a size 18 to a 16. Don't get me wrong it has not been easy, not known what to eat not known what to buy, this site is the best I could not have done this with willpower alone, as you don't get much support anywhere as you do here, brilliant people on here love them all. :):happy: Hope this has been helpful to you please keep in touch

Reactions: 6 people

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, I was diagnosed in Jan this year with a reading of 19.3, was nearly sent in hospital, but it was new Years Eve and I persuaded the doctor not to send me. I went to the doctors with flu, then after all blood tests was told I had diabetes. :eek: The doctor put me on metformin 500mg 1 daily for first week then increase to 2 daily on second week. I have now changed to Metformin SR last friday as I had a few problems with my stomach on the standard ones. I have stuck to the LCHF diet, I have to be carefull with too much fat so if I can I have Low Fat. If you go on the forum What Have You Eaten Today you will see all my daily meals I usually do them everyday. I needed to loose some weight. At time if diagnosis I was 12st 4lbs. now 11st. I feel healthier and gone down from a size 18 to a 16. Don't get me wrong it has not been easy, not known what to eat not known what to buy, this site is the best I could not have done this with willpower alone, as you don't get much support anywhere as you do here, brilliant people on here love them all. :):happy: Hope this has been helpful to you please keep in touch

Hi @amgrundy, thanks for replying, that is so helpful. Your starting point sounds very like mine - I was also diagnosed on New Years Eve! I'd had a random blood test a week earlier as part of a "well woman" check up, which came back at 18 :(. I then had an HBA1C which came back as 97 on New Years Eve. However, my GP didn't ant me to go on meds straight away, he suggested I try to manage with diet alone. He also suggested I look on this forum for advice.

So far I have been doing the LCHF diet and have lost a stone. I'm now in size 14 jeans - yay!! My BMI was 29 and is now just over 27. I need to lose at least another stone. I find the LCHF diet ok, it is just a pain as I have a (thin!) husband and 2 teenage boys who are constantly shovelling down pasta, baked potatoes etc whilst I chomp through a mushroom omelette. I also work full time so fitting in exercise is difficult, but I am going to the gym most evenings.

I've bought a meter and am testing obsessively. I've found portion size makes a huge difference. My morning readings are high, I don't have low readings like yours but am not on Metformin. I've been very resistant to the idea of meds but if my HBA1C hasn't dropped by much when I go for a retest (in April) then I'll reconsider. My GP wanted me to retest my HbA1C in June to give my bloods a chance to adapt to the new diet etc, but I wanted to know if I am on the right track before then, so he has agreed I can have a retest in April.

It sounds as though you are doing brilliantly well. Keep p the good work!

Rudyard

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, lasy night was supposed to be a stir fry... turned into a beef chilli hotdawgs.... The OH had a bun for her dawg, I majored on homemade coleslaw. A cold beer (or two)

Today is walnuts for breakfast and a lunch of the leftover chilli, half a dog and more 'slaw.

I think tonight we'll try and have the stir-fry... Though the worst has happened. One of the boys has gone on a two-night residential. That means the younger one wants fish fingers. I luuuurve fish fingers. May have to have one, just to make sure they're properly cooked. (Ahem ;-) )

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi @amgrundy, thanks for replying, that is so helpful. Your starting point sounds very like mine - I was also diagnosed on New Years Eve! I'd had a random blood test a week earlier as part of a "well woman" check up, which came back at 18 :(. I then had an HBA1C which came back as 97 on New Years Eve. However, my GP didn't ant me to go on meds straight away, he suggested I try to manage with diet alone. He also suggested I look on this forum for advice.

So far I have been doing the LCHF diet and have lost a stone. I'm now in size 14 jeans - yay!! My BMI was 29 and is now just over 27. I need to lose at least another stone. I find the LCHF diet ok, it is just a pain as I have a (thin!) husband and 2 teenage boys who are constantly shovelling down pasta, baked potatoes etc whilst I chomp through a mushroom omelette. I also work full time so fitting in exercise is difficult, but I am going to the gym most evenings.

I've bought a meter and am testing obsessively. I've found portion size makes a huge difference. My morning readings are high, I don't have low readings like yours but am not on Metformin. I've been very resistant to the idea of meds but if my HBA1C hasn't dropped by much when I go for a retest (in April) then I'll reconsider. My GP wanted me to retest my HbA1C in June to give my bloods a chance to adapt to the new diet etc, but I wanted to know if I am on the right track before then, so he has agreed I can have a retest in April.

It sounds as though you are doing brilliantly well. Keep p the good work!

Keep p the good work!
Well done you sounds as though you are doing brilliantly well. down to a 14, that's my target weight, have to be patient. I know what you mean about food being a pain when you have family that eat normal. I mind 4 of my grandchildren on a daily basis so my daughter and husband can both work. They eat all sorts that I can not My daughter is very supportive and makes me meals, sometimes off her own ideas and sometimes from the menus I give her from what I have found others eat off this site and my own ideas from researching Low carb and no sugar diets. My morning readings used to be high but are coming down slowly but surely I am 65 in a few weeks and I have not got the time to exercise or go to a gym, but I am never still with the grandchildren. You will get there believe me time is patience that is what my mother used to tell me. At least you have all the support on this site stay with us.:)