Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
tim2000s

Have just rung local GP surgery.

Woman on the phone was very helpful, reading through my notes and explaining that GP was more concerned with my leg pains and loss of feeling. She was playing it 'safe' with 8 weeks off due to the very cold temperatures I work in. And giving my ample time for an appointment with OCDEM to further root cause the pains in my legs. There are other work place environments at work that I can be transferred to providing there are vacancies. I have a meeting next week with work to discuss future support.
That's at least a positive. On the pains in your legs - how long did you say you'd had them and how long prior to that were you initially misdiagnosed with T2 diabetes?

Also, what levels do your glucose levels run at and how long have they run at that level?

Stevie_D_1983

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's at least a positive. On the pains in your legs - how long did you say you'd had them and how long prior to that were you initially misdiagnosed with T2 diabetes?

Also, what levels do your glucose levels run at and how long have they run at that level?

I've had pains in my legs roughly since 20th January (2 weeks before I was initially signed off) and was misdiagnosed as type 2 in August of 2013. When I was diagnosed they were running at around 14.5 and have been up and down since then. My highest was over 31 which happened within the first 6 months. My highest now is around 20 which rarely happens. My lowest was 2.3 again this was in the first year. I average now between 9 and 15.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you been prescribed a diuretic foe blood pressure?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I'm 32 and have been diabetic for almost 3 years now. I've had a lot of complications and miss diagnosis's along the way. I'm type 1 and inject upto 5 times a day. I inject 3 times at meal times with humalog and 1 in the evening before bed with lantus. The 5th injection is only if I feel I need it as instructed by my diabetic nurse. Before I was diabetic my sick record was excellent with only having occasional time of for dependants but since I was diagnosed with my condition I have had quite a bit of time of unwell. I'm a manager where I work and have a better understanding of the companies sickness and absence procedures than most of the HR dept, so I'm fully aware that I'm covered by the equality act (which has taken over the Disability Discrimination Act or DDA). I don't expect special treatment but I do expect them to acknowledge and understand this. Every time I've been off over the last 2-3 years the company has not shown any compassion or even empathised towards my condition, and have instead been determined to discipline me for my absences. I'm at a stage now where I go in to my return to work meeting knowing that they have pre empted the decision to discipline me. My GP has recently signed me off for a further 8 weeks to the previous 2 weeks due to blood test results taken because I was experiencing pains in my quadraceps, knee joints and ankles. She now says I have a high cholesterol and at risk of heart attack so has put me on statin tablets. She has also informed me that I will lose my eyesight completely and be on dialysis both before I'm 40 IF my cholesterol and BG levels aren't under control soon. I'm paying for a personal trainer who is helping me with a diet plan as I'm still waiting for dietitian advice from the NHS. This has all been explained to my work place yet they still do not show any signs of understanding for me, with my people manager already talking about getting rid of me. I'm sorry this is a bit of a rant but I feel I'm alone and have no one to talk to.

Hi, I wish I could give you a big hug, all I can offer is a virtual one and you are not alone on the forum.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
[QUOTE="Stevie_D_1983, post: 1075969, member: 274766"I can see how that will look to the employer yes. All occasions were recorded as being diabetes related as GP did mention this on all sick notes. GP suggested the flu was partly down to being diabetic and having the vaccination for the first time. He stated I was more prone to getting it.

The stress caused by my mother being taken unwell was put down as stress but also diabetes related with GP telling me that the stress contributed to my BG levels increasing/decreasing.
[/QUOTE]

Baffled why your Dr put your flu and stress from grieving down to diabetes, yes both can effect bg levels but that it isn't the main reason why you were off work. Really don't think your gp has done you any favours here @Stevie_D_1983

Try and ask for assistance from a Trade Union Rep or contact your local Citizens Advice for employment advice/rights.

charlie_farley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Steve.
If your employer has made reasonable adjustment's to take account of your Diabetes I don't beleave there is much more they can do.HR dept don't usually dole out sympathy as they are under pressure to meet Absence Management targets.
Could it be depression that is the underlying problem. ?

Stevie_D_1983

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Steve.
If your employer has made reasonable adjustment's to take account of your Diabetes I don't beleave there is much more they can do.HR dept don't usually dole out sympathy as they are under pressure to meet Absence Management targets.
Could it be depression that is the underlying problem. ?
Work haven't shown any support so far and have made absolutely NO reasonable adjustments. There are many departments within the company which I work, few with vacancies, and have been offered no such workplace adjustment. When I attend my return to work meetings I'm asked what the company can do to support me, I tell them, they then dismiss it and discipline me-with NO support. My trade union are currently involved and trying to help with matters. I understand they are under pressure to meet absence targets but policies and procedures are there by law to safe guard such situations. It's like saying that it is important that we get paperwork correct but never mind actually supporting the person. It's very pot, kettle black in my opinion.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Work haven't shown any support so far and have made absolutely NO reasonable adjustments. There are many departments within the company which I work, few with vacancies, and have been offered no such workplace adjustment. When I attend my return to work meetings I'm asked what the company can do to support me, I tell them, they then dismiss it and discipline me-with NO support. My trade union are currently involved and trying to help with matters. I understand they are under pressure to meet absence targets but policies and procedures are there by law to safe guard such situations. It's like saying that it is important that we get paperwork correct but never mind actually supporting the person. It's very pot, kettle black in my opinion.

I'm sorry, but how can work make reasonable adjustments to prevent you getting the flu? Even if they provide a hermetically sealed bubble from which you could work, you still have the outside world to deal with. Similarly, how could they have prevented your mother becoming ill, or helped you feel less stressed about it?

The hard reality is an employer is a business. These days even the civil service and NHS is run on a cost accountability basis. Paying someone who is not in work, due to factors they cannot influence isn't a free pass to you or anyone else in your shoes.

As a manager, I have been known to pay for employees surgeries privately (from my budget obviously), in order to get them back into work more quickly (cost of surgery + sick pay for the required recovery = less than cost of sickpay waiting for NHS op, plus required recovery period), and have made adjustments for folks (albeit none of them relating to diabetes), but the sad reality is, if an employee cannot fulfill the material duties of their role, over a protracted period, then the business manager will often have no option but to manage that individual out of the door.

I do hope your health picks up for you and you can re-establish the status quo with your employer. It can't be easy for you, but diabetes isn't a wide scale get out of jail free card, for anyone.

Stevie_D_1983

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry, but how can work make reasonable adjustments to prevent you getting the flu? Even if they provide a hermetically sealed bubble from which you could work, you still have the outside world to deal with. Similarly, how could they have prevented your mother becoming ill, or helped you feel less stressed about it?

The hard reality is an employer is a business. These days even the civil service and NHS is run on a cost accountability basis. Paying someone who is not in work, due to factors they cannot influence isn't a free pass to you or anyone else in your shoes.

As a manager, I have been known to pay for employees surgeries privately (from my budget obviously), in order to get them back into work more quickly (cost of surgery + sick pay for the required recovery = less than cost of sickpay waiting for NHS op, plus required recovery period), and have made adjustments for folks (albeit none of them relating to diabetes), but the sad reality is, if an employee cannot fulfill the material duties of their role, over a protracted period, then the business manager will often have no option but to manage that individual out of the door.

I do hope your health picks up for you and you can re-establish the status quo with your employer. It can't be easy for you, but diabetes isn't a wide scale get out of jail free card, for anyone.

I think people are misconstrued in my situation, and coming up with the assumption that I'm unwilling to work or as you say looking for a get out of jail free card. I can assure you that this is NOT the case. And actually quite offended that some people think that people would use their conditions like that, as an excuse to claim a 'Free Pass'. I have simply signed up to this forum for help and advice, not to have people assume I'm here taking the P - whether it's meant as constructive or not it isn't helpful. I too am a manager within my employment and I too have helped numerous employees in their returns to work from a wide range of illnesses and issues. My personal concern that I was raising was how the employer can treat one employee different to the next when there are policies and procedures in place by law to safeguard against stereotyping, victimisation, and equality? I have worked since I was 13 and have never not wanted to work. In the chilled environment which I work, my employers could have put me in a warmer environment (which we also have) and have chosen time and time again not to-that is not making reasonable adjustments. I respect your response, just don't agree with it.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think people are misconstrued in my situation, and coming up with the assumption that I'm unwilling to work or as you say looking for a get out of jail free card. I can assure you that this is NOT the case. And actually quite offended that some people think that people would use their conditions like that, as an excuse to claim a 'Free Pass'. I have simply signed up to this forum for help and advice, not to have people assume I'm here taking the P - whether it's meant as constructive or not it isn't helpful. I too am a manager within my employment and I too have helped numerous employees in their returns to work from a wide range of illnesses and issues. My personal concern that I was raising was how the employer can treat one employee different to the next when there are policies and procedures in place by law to safeguard against stereotyping, victimisation, and equality? I have worked since I was 13 and have never not wanted to work. In the chilled environment which I work, my employers could have put me in a warmer environment (which we also have) and have chosen time and time again not to-that is not making reasonable adjustments. I respect your response, just don't agree with it.

Have you approached a union or ACAS for specific advice about this situation?

I have no idea what your skills or preferences are or indeed I can't know how appropriate time in said warmer environment might be. I was reacting to the statements you made about both your flu and your mother's unfortunate illness. I do hope she has made a decent recovery by the way.

That your employer appears to have made such adjustments for others could be irrelevant. All adjustments should be viewed on a request/requirement by request/requirement basis, as such adjustments still have to allow the business to function well, and in as viable a state as before. It would be pretty useless if an employer were expected to bring everyone in from the cold, where their business were in refrigeration or the provision of freezer space.

Of course those are extremes, but it's not just as simple as, "They did that for Johnny, so it has to be applicable to me". I've been in the unfortunate position of having to decline a young woman returning from maternity leave her request for her return hours to be reduced to 3 days a week, in the face of a colleague of hers making the identical request only a month before. I just couldn't do it, and in the end she left. She felt slighted, despite my best attempts at explanations, and showing her my full justification paper, as demanded by HR, but I'm sure it'll be many winters before she would consider adding me to her Christmas card list.

Sometimes something as simple as timing can be pivotal the viability, reasonableness or otherwise of a request.

You really do need proper advice on this, rather than picking the brains of folks on a forum who can only have half a chance of grasping half the picture. I honestly do hope it works out well for you because most of us don't go to work for fun; there are usually bills waiting to be paid each month.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I think you have posted positive responses and tbh I think, from reading your posts, that the company you work for see you as a 'liability' and frankly someone they could do without. Companies do differ in their tolerance of employees being off work. I know someone who works at Heathrow airport in maintenance, this person has twisted their knee, they have been off work for a few weeks now and has since been signed off again and the knee is starting to get better, a male in his 60's. They have type 2 diabetes, on Metformin, but the injury is not diabetes related.
Best thing to do in your position is to get as much information and help, from places like CAB or a union and if you think you are being discriminated in the workplace, then fight on as much as you can.
A good thing is to write a food diary, as you have high numbers and you can see what is affecting you which will help get your BG in a good and stable range, but also the stress and worry do affect our bodies.

Stevie_D_1983

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you approached a union or ACAS for specific advice about this situation?

I have no idea what your skills or preferences are or indeed I can't know how appropriate time in said warmer environment might be. I was reacting to the statements you made about both your flu and your mother's unfortunate illness. I do hope she has made a decent recovery by the way.

That your employer appears to have made such adjustments for others could be irrelevant. All adjustments should be viewed on a request/requirement by request/requirement basis, as such adjustments still have to allow the business to function well, and in as viable a state as before. It would be pretty useless if an employer were expected to bring everyone in from the cold, where their business were in refrigeration or the provision of freezer space.

Of course those are extremes, but it's not just as simple as, "They did that for Johnny, so it has to be applicable to me". I've been in the unfortunate position of having to decline a young woman returning from maternity leave her request for her return hours to be reduced to 3 days a week, in the face of a colleague of hers making the identical request only a month before. I just couldn't do it, and in the end she left. She felt slighted, despite my best attempts at explanations, and showing her my full justification paper, as demanded by HR, but I'm sure it'll be many winters before she would consider adding me to her Christmas card list.

Sometimes something as simple as timing can be pivotal the viability, reasonableness or otherwise of a request.

You really do need proper advice on this, rather than picking the brains of folks on a forum who can only have half a chance of grasping half the picture. I honestly do hope it works out well for you because most of us don't go to work for fun; there are usually bills waiting to be paid each month.
Yes she is on the mend now thank you. She had open heart surgery twice. First time didn't go so well and second time she lost her sight temporarily. I understand that each circumstance must be dealt with on its own merit, and that as a manager I do, but cannot say the same for my piers. Yes it is very rare nowadays to enjoy a job and I do enjoy mine. Which is what makes this much more harder as I do want to continue within my role.

Stevie_D_1983

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you have posted positive responses and tbh I think, from reading your posts, that the company you work for see you as a 'liability' and frankly someone they could do without. Companies do differ in their tolerance of employees being off work. I know someone who works at Heathrow airport in maintenance, this person has twisted their knee, they have been off work for a few weeks now and has since been signed off again and the knee is starting to get better, a male in his 60's. They have type 2 diabetes, on Metformin, but the injury is not diabetes related.
Best thing to do in your position is to get as much information and help, from places like CAB or a union and if you think you are being discriminated in the workplace, then fight on as much as you can.
A good thing is to write a food diary, as you have high numbers and you can see what is affecting you which will help get your BG in a good and stable range, but also the stress and worry do affect our bodies.
Thank you Robinredbreast.

I have started doing a food diary since I was initially signed off as I felt my self discipline needed major commitment and improvement. I'm determined not to let my condition get the better of me again.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Stevie, the links that Tim2000s gave you for insulin management and carb counting are something you can get going with ASAP rather than wait and raise it with your gp, you are the person who controls your diabetes so by following what's shown in the links it should help you start to feel a lot better, obviously that's only part of your problems at the moment but you don't need to speak to your GP before doing this, you need to be confidant in your diabetes management.
You say your levels are roughly between 9-15 at the minute which won't help how you generally feel day to day as they are too high, getting sorted with your basal and knowing about carb counting can help control your levels better.
Also, personally, I don't think I would be taking on a personal trainer if you've bad leg pains and walking the dog is an effort, or did your doctor suggest that?

Reactions: 4 people

Dark Horse

Okay, you should never be recording these as Diabetes. The cause of these things is not Diabetes. Your GP is, if you'll forgive the term, a Dumbass.

You don't get flu because you have Diabetes. You are at risk, but you had flu, plain and simple. You and many others have the vaccination, and in a small percentage you get flu as a result. This is also not because of diabetes.

You were suffering stress. This caused your BG levels to fluctuate. This issue was, however stress, not Diabetes.

Your second illness (probably not true influenza, just a virus), was again, because you caught a virus and with your stress levels were likely to be slightly immune compromised. This wasn't because you have Diabetes either.

If your employer has all of these incidents recorded as Diabetes, then you are going to struggle. They perceive that Diabetes is affecting your ability t do your job, and even under the Equality Act, where they have made reasonable adjustments to fit in with you, that you have been unable to work for such a long period during the last year, they are making the assessment that your diabetes makes yo unable to do your job.

I think you may need to get your absences re-represented as what they really are on your record. That is likely to help. And never put illness down as due to Diabetes unless it is directly linked, such as ending up in hospital with DKA or caused by severe hypoglycaemia.

You are a person who gets ill just like anyone else. Diabetes is not the cause of everything.
Just to clear something up - no-one gets flu as a result of the flu vaccination. The jab does not contain any live viruses so can't cause flu. It's not 100% effective against flu and there are many flu-like illnesses which it doesn't protect against which is why some people still get ill despite having had the flu vaccination.

Reactions: 3 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just to clear something up - no-one gets flu as a result of the flu vaccination. The jab does not contain any live viruses so can't cause flu. It's not 100% effective against flu and there are many flu-like illnesses which it doesn't protect against which is why some people still get ill despite having had the flu vaccination.
Initial post updated. I knew this and failed to properly scribe in my haste.