Kids eating at friends

leggott

Hi,
Two of my children are diabetic and want to go & have dinner with their friends. They are both quite young (infant school age) and are unable to perform their own injections, so it means that I need to be there when they eat so I can inject them. I was just wondering what parents do in this siutation as far as food is concerned. We carb count at home, but I don't think I should expect one of their friends parents to do this or should I ?. Should I just give them a list of things which would be suitable and roughly show a portion size/quantity, or do most people find that other parents are happy to weigh the food. I know I will be there when they eat, and I could help to plate up their food, but I don't want to make it difficult for their friends parents in case it just becomes to much hassle for them to invite my kids over. I'm sorry if this seems a silly question to ask, but they go back to school in Sept and I want to be prepared when the situation arises. Thank you.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If your children's fried has taken on asking them for a meal, It would be good of you to gie some suggetions and portion sizes.
If they cannot do their injections themselves, then you'll have to. Perhaps you need to have a discussion with the other parent and sort it all out beforehand.
It will be good for your children to have a change.
If I were the host parent, I'd be glad of some guidance.
Hana

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Leggott,
Its really great that your kids have got an invite to another childs house for tea. My suggestion would be to ask the parent whats for tea that nite and take it from there. ie if its fish fingers then suggest how many they usually eat and you'll already know the carb count yourself ect. It'll be fine don't panick iv'e been there and know how you want to practically cook it and serve it up, just step back and for once guestimate the carbs, you'l find you wont be far from the mark, sit back, relax and enjoy.
Suzi x

leggott

Hi,
Thanks for your replys. Yes, Suzi you are so right - I do want to dish it up myself! I'm torn between wanting them to go and have some fun, and worrying about them being ok. I think I'll do as you suggest and ask whats on the menu and take things from there. I carb count all the time, so it won't really matter as a one off to guesstimate the portions, plus they'll probably be home soon after six so I can check them to make sure their readings aren't too high. Thanks again.

cm1976

Just wonder how u got on with this ???

First time my son went to a friends for tea I was really worried - I put together a factsheet to give to the parents about what he couldn't eat rather than what he could and how to manage hypos etc...

As for meals I dont carb count so that wasnt an isse she just said we're having this for tea is that ok and I said yes can u make sure he has x no of potatoes please!

I allowed him to b collected frm school and then wld ask what time tea wld b and said I wld have to come over 15mnins b4 dishing up to do his jab and that has always worked really well - I wld then either stay and chat if it was a friend of mine or wld go home and let them bring him home

I did however always stress that any probs they shld ring me and I'll advise them what to do whether it be food related or hypo or whatever!

x

leggott

Hi, Things have gone ok - thank you. Basically I decided to make it as easy as possible and just turn up at tea time to administer the injection. I ask the parents to dish up everything including pudding and i carb count it all in my head and then give the required dose. As both my kids are at the same school I'm always there at pick up time, so before they go to play with a friend I check their blood at the end of school and give them a small snack if need be to get them through until tea time (which is normally at 5pm). If I'm not too sure of carb values and have to guess, i tend to give 1/2 unit extra and because they normally come home around 6pm, I can give them a blood check soon after to check that the levels are what I would expect them to be at that given time.
Leggott