What are your main goals?

RWJ

Hi

I am type 2 and was diagnosed 17 years ago. I am now a new user of Byetta which I hopewill help control my BS etc and am desperate to lose a lot of weight.

Once I do start to lose a lot of weight my one big aim in life is to learn to swim. The last time I got into a swimming pool was when I was 13 year old at school. I couldn't swim and there was a girl there who always pushed me under. I had no confidence and never stood up to her. I would really love to get in a pool but would not do so while I look like I do now.

Another one is to wear a pair of jeans/trousers. I know you can buy them in bigger sizes but I just wouldn't feel comfortable going out in them. The only pair I own are my pyjamas.

The last one is to be fit enough to play around on the floor with my little grandson. At the moment it is a hard job to get up once I am down, ha ha.

I am looking and working hard to all three of these things.

Does anyone have any real big goals in life?

RWJ

valattrevear

Dislikes
Vegetables!
RWJ, if you contact your local swimming pool you will find classes for the "larger lady", even if you don't, have faith in yourself and join anyway. If people are more concerned with what you look like than what you are accomplishing that is such a sadness for them :x Some time ago I was referred to as a fat old cripple, and the boy in question was most embarrassed when verbally jumped on and asked how that affected his sorry little life. I also ran over his foot :lol: :lol: which didn't impress him. Weight loss is a different kettle of fish, and for some it can be a real mountain to climb, but people do climb mountains every day :!:
Buy those jeans, wear those slacks, its your life and to h**l with everyone else.
The distance to the floor is something that increases every day as you get older, play with your grandchild by story telling and imagination, that's what he'll remember when he's older!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
RJW
I belong to my local sports centre and regularly attend classes of water exercises in a group of about 20 people whose ages range from mid 50sto 80s . Some are Very Generously proportioned. In this group it doesn't matter. I am a size 18/20 witha supersized bust. I weat a 2 piece with T shirt over, in the water, because I get so cold. No-one laughs and one other member has now got a tee shirt.
Most of us also go to the gym together after our water class and we wear gym clothes. Noww we've started a slimming thing together. We get weighed at the gym, by an instructor. We don't have any particular diet to follow. Everyone is doing their own thing.

I'm 62, can walk 4 miles in 1hour 10 minutes, cross country, without getting puffed and can get up off the floor unaided. I couldn't do any of this a ccouple of years ago.

RWJ

Hi

Wow, sounds like you two have got yourselves together.

I don't have a problem playing with my grandson, just on the floor, as he does love being read to and we both dance to music. He is only just 2 so there is lots I can do with him at the moment.

You know what, I am going to buy some pants even if I only start by wearing them in the house and garden. Thank you.

RWJ

keyguard123

Hi to all.
My main goal of life is get the job which will give me financial growth and job satisfaction. as all we know that 95% of the people do not have both or no one. What is about you.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Just a suggestion on those pants RWJ
Get some fairly thick jeans with a bit of stretch. they will fit well and not cling. If you have a TK MAXX near you, you may find som American ones. they tend to be rather nice. and their size labels are comforting.
My granddaughter is 19 months and I get to go through the climbing frames in the park with her.
I see the young Mummies standing below watching their children as this overweight Grannie follows baby through , because she's too little and intrepid to go alone.
I wear "Next" skinny leg jeans.
Hana

deb100

Dislikes
being told what to do
Dont wait, get down to your local baths and start now! Being overweight aids buoyancy, honest I am a qualified swim teacher, get in now and build your confidence.Once you are in the water no one will notice if youre big and lifeguards have seen everything b4. Please take the plunge, enjoy it.
My goal is to be fit again and swim 100 lengths in less than an hour like I used to but for now its a dream. :wink:

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I have lost 2 1/2 stones since February 2009 (5 stones in 4 years) and my aim is to lose another 5 stones. Even then the doctor would consider me too big but I've told him to back off as it's my choice of target weight I want to get to.
Then I want to buy some jeans and some really nice SMALL clothes. :D

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
My main goal I think is to wear a swimsuit and not feel self consious in it.

ashtonfarell

I am a computer engineer and my main goal is to make anti virus software which can detect and remove all type virus. I have been researching for last year.

John aka Wallycorker

Hi RWJ,

I'm a 66 years-old retired non-insulin dependent Type 2. My main goal in life is to look after myself and steer clear of any diabetic complications that can come a diabetic's way. I want to stick around to watch my grandchildren grow up for just as long as I can. Maybe - even to meet some great-grandchildren! :D

Best wishes - John

Dave Knight

Keep Mind and Body active and healthy for as long as possible
by

Positively Planning for the Future

and

1 Building and Maintaining good relationships
2 Contributing to society by work and economic activity
3 Pursuing interests in history and wargaming
4 Travelling widely
5 Delivering on promises
6 Being tidy and organised
7 Optimising weight
8 Exercising regularly
9 Enjoying Art, Music and Literature
10 Trying new things

Things to stop doing excessively

1 TV Watching
2 Surfing the Internet
3 Procrastination
4 Grazing
5 Dwelling on possible negative future events
6 Allowing tiredness or illness to be an excuse

This is what I have been trying to work to (with mixed sucess :D ).

It is a prediagnosis list, but I don't really see any need to change it now that I know I have diabetes

What do you think?

Robbo

Dave,

I also must cut down on watching TV and surfing the net excessively.

"Procrastination the thief of time"

All the best.

Robbo.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Watched "The Bucket List" recently and have decided that I need to make my own! And then stay well to tick off everything that is on it. :D

If you haven't watched it - do!