Getting low readings now - Help !

Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am getting low readings now on my testing . On Metformin 500 x 2 a day . (1 year ) I have gone from 8 to 10 reading now to regular 4 . something. Is this a normal drastic dip in BG levels ? I have lost one and a half stone in weight through diet . the question is can I come off metformin now ? Has anyone come off meds , and coping without them ? Why has it dipped so much ? Any similar experiences -answers would be helpful! ;) thanks type 2 .

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Bri, it's not that it's dipped too low - it's at the right level for a non diabetic, so congratulations!:) I'm guessing you have been watching your diet carefully and this may have made the difference for you. It is entirely up to you whether you want to try and come off the Metformin (which don't do much to lower your levels anyway!), my opinion is that if you are getting regular 4's, there is no reason why you can't - but do discuss with your gp first.

Reactions: 2 people

Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that ladybird !! Appreciated ! ;)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Agreed entirely with @ladybird64 .... they are good numbers ... dunno how you do that with the beer you're holding :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am getting low readings now on my testing . On Metformin 500 x 2 a day . (1 year ) I have gone from 8 to 10 reading now to regular 4 . something. Is this a normal drastic dip in BG levels ? I have lost one and a half stone in weight through diet . the question is can I come off metformin now ? Has anyone come off meds , and coping without them ? Why has it dipped so much ? Any similar experiences -answers would be helpful! ;) thanks type 2 .
I completely agree 4 is an excellent number, but when are you 4? Is that before food, after food, on rising or randomly?

Secondly, what is the highest reading you have seen in the last month, and when was that? That'll give us a more rounded viewpoint.

Reactions: 4 people

Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4 is a reading after work ...and healthy snacking .Highest I have seen is 10 this month... No regular alcohol now only limited... I am on a Mediterranean diet. It seems to be working then ! ;)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I was just ribbing you re the beer :) If you feel good at 4, worry not. Much better than 10 :)

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I have a strange hankering for a Bud:eek:

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi Well done you, and well done with the weight too. Think sometimes we get used to our readings being elevated a bit then when they drop to low readings we still worry, I know I did this morning, it was 4.7 lowest ever do we ever stop worrying? !!!!Have a good day:):happy:

Reactions: 3 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You're not on a high dosage of metformin, so the dosage you're on is obviously helping you with BGL control. Well done on the normal range sugar levels. :) If you start to hypo then you may need to speak to your doc about dropping the dosage a bit. I had my first hypo on metformin. My doc had me on all sorts of dosages from 500mg per day up to 3000mg per day over a period of 5 years. For me that was 5 years of hell though. lol. I was sick all the time on that. You are obviously doing ok on it. Keep up the good work!

Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all your encouraging replies ! Knowledge is power ! I think I do panic a bit. And shouldn't ! Thanks all !! ;)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4 is a reading after work ...and healthy snacking .Highest I have seen is 10 this month... No regular alcohol now only limited... I am on a Mediterranean diet. It seems to be working then ! ;)

If 4 is the number a while after a meal, you have absolutely no cause for concern, in my book, provided you feel fine. That's always the proviso.

Watch for those 10s though, if it/they are anything other than 60-90 minutes after eating a meal. If they're a 2 hours after figure, I might want to do a little thinking about the meal/food I had consumed. That doesn't mean immediate banishment of whatever it was, but maybe trim the portion size back a bit, or slide it more towards the "special occasions" list, rather than the "every day at will" list.

As I always say, it's a work in progress.

Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your replies ! I am feeling chuffed as my hard work has paid off with dieting ! My BG is around 4.something now , felt wobbly at first , but slim , and getting non diabetic ! Lol . its a tough road this . 5 g and t's and a few cream cakes and wollop short term high !! But hey you only live once and its the bigger picture ! Thank you all for taking the time to reply to me ! May the force be with you ! ;)