Exercise advice please

RobPL

I've been on low carbs for a month now.
A week after I started I went to an exercise class and managed to crack a rib when someone fell on my chest while doing a ju jitsu move. It would be laughable if it hadn't been so painful lol.
I went swimming last week as I thought it would be okay due to the water supporting me but moving my left arm was agony due to it moving my chest.
Does anyone have any advice on exercise which may be okay to do while I heal?

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
A week after I started I went to an exercise class and managed to crack a rib when someone fell on my chest while doing a ju jitsu move. It would be laughable if it hadn't been so painful lol.
I went swimming last week as I thought it would be okay due to the water supporting me but moving my left arm was agony due to it moving my chest.
Walking??

RobPL

Walking is okay as I take the dogs out. I live on a mountainside though and I'm far too unfit to do it for long because of the gradient. It's why I gave swimming a try as I love it.

Reactions: 2 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi RobPL, i'm a coach driver and about 8 yrs ago on tour i tripped and broke two ribs...went to hospital ...they said." Yep two ribs broken , no other damage....oh do i need to rest...no they said just carry on you'll be ok....so i did ..humping luggage and driving long distances...you'll be ok. But no kick boxing

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Lol no I'll avoid that hehe.
Perhaps you could stay with the swimming but use a kick board and propel with the feet only

RobPL

That's what I ended up doing. I held a board to my left side and only used my right arm and feet. It wasn't ideal but I may just have to keep doing that.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I cracked one of my ribs about 2 months ago and I'm finally back to 100%. Lesson learned: 45* leg press machines are a great way to hurt yourself. I cracked one of my lower left ribs near my kidney.

For me, it was about trying different types of exercise to see what did and didn't put pressure on the rib while it healed. Oddly enough, running didn't aggravate the injury so that's what I focused on. Eventually, I started doing isolation-type exercises with lighter weight. Fortunately, I'm back to squatting/deadlifting 400+ lbs for reps without any pain, but I made sure I let everything heal, gave it another 2 weeks and then started lifting heavy again.