Weightloss

ronburnett

Hi
Since being diagnosed in April with T2 I have lost about 2 and a half stone.
I control my diabete's with diet and have started excercising for at least 30 minutes everyday.
Obviously I anticipated some weightloss but as I'm now at 10 stone and my wife is concerned that if it continues I might disappear altogether is this normal
Will my body get used to the reduced sugar intake and level off
I also watch my fat intake as I have to control my choresterol which I also do with diet as I hate taking pills
Any help would be greatly appreciated

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
when I was diagnosed with type 2 6 years ago I was 23 stone and put on metformin when I cut out the sugar (coke and in coffee) I went down to 9 and a half within 12 months not good if your worried see your doc or dietitian and voice your concerns

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
14st in 12months just by cutting out coke and sugar in your coffee??? How much coke, and how many sugars were you on?!?

grteat work, by the way - wish it was that easy for me! :(

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
6 big bottles of coke and prob 40 coffees with 2 sugars not very clever

dragongirl

Hi Ron
I am T2 since July (well that was just diagnosis day) and in exactly the same boat struggling not to lose more weight as my husband and the doc think it is getting extreme. I'm low-carb diet only (NOT dieting!) and also trying to lower cholesterol at the same time.

If you search my other posts you will see people have been trying to help me take in calories without too many carbs, making suggestions as to good food for that. And others, the other day, on how to keep lowering the cholesterol without resorting to statins until they become necessary. It's helped by watching which fats. We do need to eat fat to help it come down, silly as it might seem.

It's a serious problem, and seems to be the reverse of what many people here are struggling with. I am eating nuts for England at the moment...

Hopefully some more help will appear soon. Good luck. In a perverse way, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was beginning to feel some sort of freak with this problem!
DG

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
ham79 said:
6 big bottles of coke and prob 40 coffees with 2 sugars not very clever

OMG....! Was that a day ?
See you are a T1 in your profile ? Yet I read somewhere here that you were dignosed as a T2.
How was that diagnosed then and at what age ?

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
this is the gang to be with if you feel freaky these guys are a great help.
yep that was per day was working as a chef then after my shift ran the bar and caffiene was my friend.
My wife forced me to see the doc cos was drinking lots was told had type 2.
Then came off all the meds (metformin) as it was making me sick as a result the docs and dsn's lost all record of me and I never went back.
Fast forward 5ish years and had earache and a sore stomach phoned the doc and woke up 3 days later hooked up to everything. one of them being insulin so now I'm type 1

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
ham79 said:
this is the gang to be with if you feel freaky these guys are a great help.
yep that was per day was working as a chef then after my shift ran the bar and caffiene was my friend.
My wife forced me to see the doc cos was drinking lots was told had type 2.
Then came off all the meds (metformin) as it was making me sick as a result the docs and dsn's lost all record of me and I never went back.
Fast forward 5ish years and had earache and a sore stomach phoned the doc and woke up 3 days later hooked up to everything. one of them being insulin so now I'm type 1

Hi ham.
Interesting....but a bit confusing, as they say. Did they actually tell you that you were a Type 1 ? Did you assume because you are on Insulin that you are a T1 ?

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
yes when i came to i was given the news that i am definitely a type 1 diabetic and insulin dependant and doomed but hey ho

whatashock

I am a type 2 diagnosed in March.

Since then I have gone from 17 1/2 to about 15. Although when I went for my review this week, the doctor beleives I have put back on 4lbs since August (which I do not actually agree with)

I found that the weight was falling off me, and then as I have learnt a bit more about the foods I can eat, and the foods I dont eat, the weight has stopped falling off.

To upset some people, I went to Pizza Express for Lunch today, and had a pizza. per meal was 4.6 - 1hr after 6.8 2 hrs after 6.4

When I find that a food does not have an adverse effect, I check the next time I eat it, and if still OK, then this goes back on my list.

This may be why the weight is not dropping off, but this is what I feel is best for me.

I still steer clear of Bread, otherwise I would probably eat half a load a day when I hungry.

Not sure if this helps.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
To upset some people, I went to Pizza Express for Lunch today, and had a pizza. per meal was 4.6 - 1hr after 6.8 2 hrs after 6.4

Have you not heard of the ' pizza effect' ?!

When you eat a lot of fat with carbohydrate, it can slow down that carbohydrate spike. I believe this is known as the "pizza effect".

You need to test regularly (every hour for about 5-6 hours maybe :? , expensive, huh?) after you have eaten because what you might find is that your blood glucose levels go up slower but remain elevated for a longer period or the spike hits you much later.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9848&p=92557&hilit=pizza+effect#p92557

whatashock

No I had not heard that.

But, if my level went up after the 1st hour, and then down after the 2nd, is it likely to go up again?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
whatashock said:
No I had not heard that.

But, if my level went up after the 1st hour, and then down after the 2nd, is it likely to go up again?

Most definitely, that's why it is termed the 'Pizza Effect'.....never take anything for granted.
Foods that have a high fat content (i.e., over 25 g), such as pizza, peanuts, and ice cream, can cause a delayed blood glucose spike. The fat in these foods slows the absorption of carbohydrates, which can result in normal levels two to three hours after eating and elevated blood glucose up to eight hours after.

Just to give you an idea of what you might have eaten at Pizza Express, one 100g portion of The American contains 87.3g carbs :shock: and also 32.4g Fat. :shock: . You really need to do your homework when eating this stuff. It could also be the reason why your weight loss has stalled with that sort of carb consumption.

You are not the first to be caught out by this, and you definitely won't be the last ! :wink:

whatashock

My pre dinner levels were 4.6, so, if I did have a spike, it could only have been between hours 3 and 6.

Or, lets just hope I did not spike.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi whatashock.

Possibly.
Here's an example from my little 'black book' when I tried Pizza.
Lunch at 1.30pm. Slice of Pizza.
3.30pm Bg was 5.1.
4.30pm Bg was 4.1. You would automatically think that was good.
5.45pm Bg was 4.6
7.15pm Bg was 12.8........yikes ! THAT is the Pizza Effect at work several hours afterwards.

I never touch it now. :(

whatashock

I appreciate that.

When I tested before dinner, I was back down to 4.6, so I hope I do not get that affect.

It is very strange, as the only time I seem to be high is in the morning on waking, and I am between 6.8 and 7.2.

I know I need to loose a bit more weight (dietician has said another stone) but (and I know this is a contencious issue) I am trying to balance

Hba1c (last time was 5.9) with diet (still trying to live a sub-normal life by getting takeaways) with weight loss and daily BG with a reasonable quality of life.

This does seem to be working for me.,

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Working for you...I hope so WAS. HbA1c is good but it is only an average over 3 months and can cover a multitude of sins. Let's hope your next one is as good. It will certainly show the trend.

Do you test your Bg levels after your meals, like two hours after on a regular basis ? I had a recent HbA1c which was good but it totally missed out the horrendous levels I get because of another drug I now have to take. Readings which have been as high as nearly 14mmol/l. Very disheartening. :(

Double my usual maximum levels each day. As for Takeaways, well if you can manage them without increasing your Bg levels after 2 hrs, good on you. Just seems a pretty odd 'diet' especially if you want to lose more weight. Carbohydrates mean, glucose, mean Insulin from your Pancreas, which can mean fat production. Not the best way to lose weight I can think of.
Stay lucky. :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
dragongirl said:
I think Ron's original question got hijacked somewhere here!
Gosh, I'm getting brave to say something like that!
DG

Well done DG. Like it. I think Ron's question has been answered but like everything else the thread is just opening up, other areas being explored. That's life.... :D