Insulin Pump Funding

casspetrick

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Browsing through this board I noticed people have mentioned insulin pump expenses and it made me curious about funding options in different countries.

I'm from Canada and it is not covered here by the vast majority of health insurance companies because it's technically elective and not necessary to maintain diabetes. Instead, the government has something called The Assisted Devices Program that you have to apply for and meet certain yearly requirements to get. For example, your A1C's have to be under a certain level and you have to be in contact with your diabetes team a min of 4 times a year. If you meet the requirements, they will give you a cheque every three months to cover a portion of the costs of your supplies.

This all seemed perfectly attainable at first but I eventually found it extremely difficult to maintain the requirements, especially when I was in my early 20's and living away from home at university. My mom would constantly tell me that I had to "play the game" to get this funding and it all got to be so frustrating. My diabetes team was also very unsupportive and treated this process like a business transaction. I eventually let my funding lapse, which got to be very costly. Now that life has calmed down I recently reapplied for funding and am thankfully not finding it as difficult to maintain. However, I have friends that were so fed up with this process and its tight guidelines that they have elected to go off the pump altogether.

Is there a program like this where any of you reside?

NicolaN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@casspetrick I'm Irish and I'm currently in Canada. My pump supplies in Ireland are free. Here I have to pay for everything and its KILLING me. It's so expensive having an illness like diabetes thats not my fault. How do you apply for Assisted Devices Program? Does the process take long?

casspetrick

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey @NicolaN that's amazing it's free in Ireland. I completely agree with you and wish there was an easier way here. Are you in contact with an endocrinologist/diabetes clinic in Canada? When I first got funding that's who started the process for me. After mine lapsed and I was in a new city I contacted the maker of my pump, Medtronic, and asked them how I should start the process over. They put me in touch with a clinic based on where I was geographically. You could always contact ADP directly too, I posted their link below. They've actually been fairly helpful when I've called to ask questions. I think the second time I applied the process took roughly 4-6 months to actually see any assistance. Because it's a government program I'm not sure how it would work depending on your situation (if you're on a visa etc.) but it's worth looking into. Despite my complaints about this program, it definitely helps.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/adp/contact.aspx

Michik

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my hospital in PL the pump is free only if you are below 18 y/o