FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @nomoredonuts - you say you lost 8lbs in a fortnight over xmas and it resulted in a type 2 diagnosis. That seems odd. Weight loss isn't typically associated with type 2. What blood tests did you have done as your symptoms sound more like LADA.

day007

Hi, sorry if this has been covered extensively before but this thread is so long now I don't know where to look!
Just on my 2nd Libre patch, only on day 3 and I can see one side of it has come unstuck. What is the best thing to use to keep it stuck in place if the adhesive on it isn't working for you?

My first patch came off after 11 days after doing some exercise, and with this new one I've just started cycling to/from work so getting a bit hot & sweaty twice a day and I don't know if that's contributing to the problem. I'm not going to be able to justify the cost of these if they're not even going to last the full 14 days (at the rate this one is going it might be off after 4/5 days), they're expensive enough as it is!

jwq

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, sorry if this has been covered extensively before but this thread is so long now I don't know where to look!
Just on my 2nd Libre patch, only on day 3 and I can see one side of it has come unstuck. What is the best thing to use to keep it stuck in place if the adhesive on it isn't working for you?

My first patch came off after 11 days after doing some exercise, and with this new one I've just started cycling to/from work so getting a bit hot & sweaty twice a day and I don't know if that's contributing to the problem. I'm not going to be able to justify the cost of these if they're not even going to last the full 14 days (at the rate this one is going it might be off after 4/5 days), they're expensive enough as it is!
I use the skin tac wipes beforehand:
http://www.mghealthcare.co.uk/products.aspx
and sometimes cover the sensor with a piece of Fixomull stretch 5cm x 10m
https://www.farmaline.uk/health/order/fixomull-stretch-adh-5cm-x-10m-1-item/

Last edited by a moderator:

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Hi @nomoredonuts - you say you lost 8lbs in a fortnight over xmas and it resulted in a type 2 diagnosis. That seems odd. Weight loss isn't typically associated with type 2. What blood tests did you have done as your symptoms sound more like LADA.

Hi @tim2000s
Immediately following the original speculative urine test I had blood taken for the HbA1c. I saw the GP a week later for the results and I while I was absorbing the diagnosis (of T2) I remember the figure of 104. I'm too new at this to know which of the "translations" are commonly used - 11.7 or 16.
I've just done a quick G**gle search of LADA, and apart from getting a few new Russian car-related jokes, I'm not sure I understand any better what makes me a T2 or a T1.5. My BMI is 25.9 and I've been a fairly regular 12st 10 until Christmas and the weight loss. I read here somewhere that it was my body dumping out 2000 sugar-laden calories a day, which would account for it.
Ought I to request or demand a C-Peptide test and how would I know if I am insulin-resistant?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @nomoredonuts, you ought to request and autoimmune antibody blood test. The symptoms you describe are decidedly T1 in nature and a LADA or T1.5 has an autoimmune attack going on, unlike a t2.

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High tax for low returns, judgemental people and shopping

I found a shaving a small patch on my arm helps as well.

Sponge89

Ok got it and set it up fine. No pain on insertion. First test 5.1 so I double checked it with my accu check and that said 5.0 so really impressed so far.

Reactions: 2 people
Hello, to let you know, how to use the sensor longer than 14 days without hacking it. Use the app Glimp . The freestyle libre meter stops reading after 14 days, but the sensor keeps sending glucose levels after 14 days. Glimp keeps reading them !!! The sensor gives every reading a warning that glucose levels may not be accurate and that the sensor has expired, but its working fine, how long and how accurate may vary. So you better finger prick more often to check its okay.

I was searching how to get longer life out the sensor with NFC tag software so I kept the expired sensor in my arm for testing, tryed glimp and it was working fine with the expired sensor :)

You have to enable NFC on your smartphone, and keep the back of the phone very close to the sensor and wait for it to vibrate.

Hope it works for you too :)

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Hello, to let you know, how to use the sensor longer than 14 days without hacking it. Use the app Glimp . The freestyle libre meter stops reading after 14 days, but the sensor keeps sending glucose levels after 14 days. Glimp keeps reading them !!! The sensor gives every reading a warning that glucose levels may not be accurate and that the sensor has expired, but its working fine, how long and how accurate may vary. So you better finger prick more often to check its okay.

I was searching how to get longer life out the sensor with NFC tag software so I kept the expired sensor in my arm for testing, tryed glimp and it was working fine with the expired sensor :)

You have to enable NFC on your smartphone, and keep the back of the phone very close to the sensor and wait for it to vibrate.

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if you had a second reader? Would the sensor continue to give readings for another 14 days to the new reader?

Reactions: 2 people

winephil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cities and crowds
I am still waiting patiently in France for my Freestyle Libre. The French site promised they would tell me when they were available to order but no news.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Does the glimp display new readings (i.e. after the sensor expired,) or only those until the expiry? My understanding was it was the latter, but would be very happy to learn otherwise, if that's the case.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

Just to caveat this. The maximum life of the sensor is roughly fifteen days. After this time it continues to repeat roughly the last hours worth of data. People have had it expire between 14 and 15 days. Myself included.

It does not run longer than this.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just out of curiosity, what would happen if you had a second reader? Would the sensor continue to give readings for another 14 days to the new reader?

The quick answer is no. I understand that the sensor works by converting an enzyme to give the reading and the amount of enzyme is fixed to last a fortnight.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The quick answer is no. I understand that the sensor works by converting an enzyme to give the reading and the amount of enzyme is fixed to last a fortnight.
I'm not sure that is specifically the case? The "stop" function is based on a timer in the sensor electronics. I think the catalyst efficiency reduction is similar to that in other sensors, however, so they don't want to be responsible for people pushing the life and acting on poor readings.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to caveat this. The maximum life of the sensor is roughly fifteen days. After this time it continues to repeat roughly the last hours worth of data. People have had it expire between 14 and 15 days. Myself included.

It does not run longer than this.
Thanks Tim. Whilst, like everyone else, I would be curious to understand the potential to "stretch" these sensors a bit, in my case, using glimp would involve buying a compliant NFC device. As I find the sensors can wander off the righteous path a bit close to their expiry, I'm unsure I'd find the investment worthwhile just yet.

@AndBreathe, I agree with you, I am too very curious how far it is possible stretching the sensor lifetime, I dont know if buying a new mobile with nfc is worth the money for 11 hours extra from the sensor, most samsung galaxy phones have it ,so you could buy an cheap old S3 for this purpose

In my case the libre sensor stopped workin after about 11 hours, but it was working perfect because I checked with my accu chek mobile meter. So it didnt stop because the bg readings were going bad but as Tim2000s said because the sensor has a timer.

After having the sensor an extra day in my arm I opened the sensor and removed the battery and "needle" and it was still giving the same (loop) values as in my arm, so because the battery was out only the nfc tag (doesnt need power suply) was giving data.

I think the only way to start the sensor working again is to reactivate the sensor, but then you have to find a way to change the sensor identification code in perhaps the nfc tag ? (witch is probably write protected ?) so the libre meter thinks its a new sensor......