Should I or shouldn't I follow my doctor's advice and take diabetes drugs?

nurub

Hi all

I was diagnosed around 2 years ago with type 2 diabetes. My doctor is always telling me when I see him to start taking diabetes drugs and I'm resisting. I try to exercise, eat less, walk, ... but because of my work as a software developer I'm sitting most of the time and this make the blood sugar go up very quickly.
I believe that if I lose some weight I can avoid diabetes once and for all.
I'm resisting the drugs because there are many side effects and they may even destroy the pancreas for ever.
- Is it ok for not taking the medicine
- If I have to take, is there any diabetes medicine to be taken only by need? Which one you recommend
Thank you

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Several questions there. If you are essentially a T2 then having a low-carb diet may help avoid needing any drugs. A low-carb diet means reduced carbs and having enough proteins and fats with veg etc to keep you feeling full. This diet will usually help with both weight loss and reduced blood sugar. The first drug of choice if needed is Metformin which helps a bit with blood sugar and is very safe and has no harmful effects including the pancreas. If you were slim it's always possible to be a late onset T1 in which case medication will normally be needed even leading to insulin as in my case. There are different tablets for that before insulin. There are really no tablets that you can take 'only by need'; insulin is really the only medication that you take to match daily needs. So, in summary, the right diet is always the right start point.

Reactions: 2 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@nurub

What is the current state of your Diabetes, compared to where you were at diagnosis ?

How is your BG control ?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @nurub what really destroys your pancreas is high blood glucose.

Do you test regularly and if so, what are your 2h post meal readings?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Hi all
I was diagnosed around 2 years ago with type 2 diabetes. My doctor is always telling me when I see him to start taking diabetes drugs and I'm resisting. I try to exercise, eat less, walk, ... but because of my work as a software developer I'm sitting most of the time and this make the blood sugar go up very quickly.
Hi and welcome, I hope you're prepared for some home truths. Two years? If you were diagnosed with type II then I'd say there's a pretty good chance, like 99.99%, that you have type II diabetes. Stop resisting and start taking the tablets, poorly controlled BG is to be taken very seriously, you are damaging the organs of your body as well as your nervous system (neuropathy). Sitting doesn't make your blood sugar go up quickly but eating carbohydrates does.
I believe that if I lose some weight I can avoid diabetes once and for all.
You might consider what "some weight" actually means, a couple of pounds? A couple of stone? If you are diabetic you will always be avoiding carbs so it's not as though the diabetes disappears, you have to change your eating habits because your body isn't dealing with the carbs that you are eating.
If I have to take, is there any diabetes medicine to be taken only by need? Which one you recommend
That's a question for a qualified medic to answer. I don't think it's a case of recommendation, it's a case of what medication does the job.

All the best, start the tablets and get a BG meter if you haven't done so already.

Reactions: 3 people

MarcoRiveira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
2 years, and i assume you never took any medicine ? What have your readings been ?

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hello @nurub I have tagged @daisy who has some excellent information regarding diabetes which might be helpful to you

nurub

Thank you all for your advices
So, I do check regularly. Most of the time in the mornings and/or before bed. The readings of the morning are always between 6 and 7. These last few days, it's between 8.2 to 8.9 and this is why I posted this question.
After 2h of taking a meal, it's around 10 and 12.7. I go walking generally or do some exercises to lower it to between 7 to 8.
I weight 180 lbs and my age is 46

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Thanks for the info. Sounds like a small amount of excess weight there, so the right diet and possibly Metformin would be a good start point and see how it goes. Exercise always helps.

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not going to give you advice on Metformin. but in my case I used the lowcarb diet to control my BG and lose weight,

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr David Unwin the @lowcarbGP puts his Diabetic patients on the LCHF diet and is having great results ,lowering BG and improving health and actually saving the NHS £30,000 on the cost of drugs at the last count

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your advices
So, I do check regularly. Most of the time in the mornings and/or before bed. The readings of the morning are always between 6 and 7. These last few days, it's between 8.2 to 8.9 and this is why I posted this question.
After 2h of taking a meal, it's around 10 and 12.7. I go walking generally or do some exercises to lower it to between 7 to 8.
I weight 180 lbs and my age is 46

Hi and welcome.

You need to cut the amount of carbs you are eating.

It would be a good idea to test your blood glucose before eating, and 2 hours after. That way you know how much the meal has increased your blood glucose. If the rise is regularly more than 2mmol/l at 2 hours after food, then you have 3 choices:
- reduce the portion size of the carbs
- if that doesn't work, then stop eating the carbs or swap them for lower carb foods
- medication

Of them all, for T2 diabetes, the medication is the LEAST effective.

Exercise does reduce blood glucose, is very good for us, and is probably reducing the amount of damage you are taking from the your current blood glucose readings of 10 and above. But it isn't enough. You seem to be spending several hours a day with blood glucose much higher than recommended levels. Significantly increasing your exercise may help, but it makes much more sense (to me) to prevent your blood glucose rising in the first place, by adjusting your diet, than by flogging yourself with exercise to try and avoid damaging blood glucose levels.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As for your Doctor, and recommending a Drug based therapy.

Based on the numbers you say you have, it is easy to see why the Dr would want to prescribe drugs.

IMHO your best plan of attack would be to decide how you want to treat your Diabetes, formulate a plan and the next time you see your Doctor discuss your ideas with him/her and hopefully come to a solution that you are both happy with.

Your diabetes will not improve without something happening, be it a diet change or the addition of drugs, but you need to put yourself in control of how that happens.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@nurub

Hello Nurub and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful with regards to food choices. Ask more questions when you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.