SamFergusson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
Hi,

I have recently taken control of my diabetes, but at the same time I am trying to get fit & loose weight!
I will be going to the gym tomorrow & this will be the first time I have been whilst have stable sugar levels. I'm really anxious as I'm worried that I'll go in with good levels & go low whilst I am there.

Any tips for a healthy workout that won't cause me to binge on carbs once I finish to rectify a low would be greatly appreciated :D

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sam, are you T1 or T2? I'm T1 and still trying to get control. My DSN advised me to half my insulin pre gym meal, test half way through and have a small lucozade or similar, then test again when home. If it goes high, don't correct, bust test again either through night or in morning. If you go low when you get home, have a biscuit or small bowl of cereal or similar. I appreciate everybody is different, but it may help.

Ella5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I have recently taken control of my diabetes, but at the same time I am trying to get fit & loose weight!
I will be going to the gym tomorrow & this will be the first time I have been whilst have stable sugar levels. I'm really anxious as I'm worried that I'll go in with good levels & go low whilst I am there.

Any tips for a healthy workout that won't cause me to binge on carbs once I finish to rectify a low would be greatly appreciated :D

I control my bg before going to gym and eat something to help me hold my bg level normal. Although, it has dropped very low. Therefore, I have the bg controler everywhere with me.

I recommend powerwalking in the fresh air and whole body exercises that keep your muscles lean. I have tried everything, because I have been the champion of ballroom dancing twice, when I was a teenager, and after quiting dancing my weight grew a lot. I had problems with my belly fat. Now I use rhodiola rosea extract and powerwalk and do wholebody exercises three times a week, and I'm satisfied with my weight and outlook. Good luck!

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Before I exercise I raise my BG to between 7-9mmol...

I find for me I drop quickly initially jelly babies I find are good for control as they are 5g per sweet so easy maths if your on the move!!!

Runsweet.com has some great info I'm currently out in Saudi and the gym I'm using has no aircon and its 30 degrees!!!

SamFergusson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
Thanks @asa35 I am also T1.
I hope you're getting on ok with trying to get control of it :)

Thanks @JRW some great info there.

@Ella5 the power walking sounds like a good idea. I also have belly fat problems, it is my worst area. I will check out the rhodiola rosea extract. Thanks

SamFergusson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
Thanks @IZ THE LEG END I always forget about jelly babies.
I will check out Runsweet.com later :)

Also do not envy you at all being in the super hot gym!! lol
Hope you had fun :)

Reactions: 2 people

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Thanks @IZ THE LEG END I always forget about jelly babies.
I will check out Runsweet.com later :)

Also do not envy you at all being in the super hot gym!! lol
Hope you had fun :)
I'm training for my first 100km ultra and the streets in Saudi aren't the safest of places to run but it's good training in the heat your body adapts to this.

Good luck with the training!

vaughanie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Sam,

I am type 1 and got a trainer in Feb last year to lose some weight for my wedding last June. I also prefer raise my BG to 10-15 for one hour of training which usually consists of 20 minutes cardio followed by 40 minutes of arms/chest volume training or legs/abs. Trainer put me on a low carb high protein diet as well and I have gone from 88kg to 74kg since and feel good with a much improved insulin resistance. I do struggle though with high intensity like Tabata, I have tried Tabata four times and end up having a hypo so I gave up that idea.

I always make sure I have my glucose tablets in the locker and my BG tester, As long as you have good hypo awareness you should be fine.

R