ANNOYING

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I decided tonight I wanted a Mcdonalds, I didnt want to cook I wanted something quick and easy..Fine..I ordered a meal and said a DIET coke no ice. They read back the order to me and said DIET.. Perfect.

Get home munch the food and drink the drink didnt think anymore about it about 2 hours later my friend calls and says shes abit down do I want to meet her so I say yes and meet her In a pub for a drink.. I order a diet pepsi again tasted flat but fine a lot of pump pepsi and cokes taste weird anyway Ive come home and done my reading before bed and its 30!

30 higher than when i was first diagnosed. Im so annoyed. Im now sat awake not being able to sleep because I have to keep checking my bloods making sure theyre going down after taking more insulin. ITS NOT THAT HARD TO LISTEN AND PRESS THE DIET BUTTON ***.

Reactions: 10 people

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Finally after 3 hours or more Ive finally got the back down, they arent great but they are better I now feel so sick and my heads pounding. My partner made a good point to make a complaint or at least look into it because if i hadnt of got it down tonight would have been spent in a hospital ward with a IV drip..

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always double check my order when they give it to me. I constantly remind them that it's diet!! And even then I still don't trust then hahahhaha. It's not difficult but people mess it up! I'm sorry you have to deal with that now xx

RuffsTheShake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That is really annoying! I always check my drinks with a glucose strip but I only rarely order soft drink... I normally get my spirits straight or with soda water lime. I think a lot of people don't have any idea how big of a deal getting a non diet drink is to us.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I tend to just order water - comes in a bottle, safe choice. If I do order a diet coke then I always follow it up with a 'make sure it's a diet coke as i'm a diabetic' and if i'm really sure they aren't paying attention i'll add 'cause a full fat will kill me' !!!

dylt1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I decided tonight I wanted a Mcdonalds, I didnt want to cook I wanted something quick and easy..Fine..I ordered a meal and said a DIET coke no ice. They read back the order to me and said DIET.. Perfect.

Get home munch the food and drink the drink didnt think anymore about it about 2 hours later my friend calls and says shes abit down do I want to meet her so I say yes and meet her In a pub for a drink.. I order a diet pepsi again tasted flat but fine a lot of pump pepsi and cokes taste weird anyway Ive come home and done my reading before bed and its 30!

30 higher than when i was first diagnosed. Im so annoyed. Im now sat awake not being able to sleep because I have to keep checking my bloods making sure theyre going down after taking more insulin. ITS NOT THAT HARD TO LISTEN AND PRESS THE DIET BUTTON ***.

Hi,

In McDonalds they usually press the 'Diet button' on the top of the cup if it's diet, see image below. You can always check this to see whether they've given you diet or not. Although yes, they could press this and forget to give you diet too (everyone makes mistakes). If I'm in a pub I usually look to see what button they press, usually normal coke is the top button and diet is the button at the bottom. How much did you drink? McDonalds are always worth a complaint, they have great customer service and will usually refund you in some way.

soft-drink-cup-lid1.jpg

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If it's not in a bottle, carton or tin marked diet or sugar-free then I don't bother, too many mistakes are made with those pump dispensers.

Reactions: 8 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's a good idea, Noblehead. I've fallen foul of this more times than I can remember. Whenever I have to order diet coke, I always say "I'm diabetic, so can you make sure it's diet" (in the nicest possible way).

That being said, the amount of carbs in a McDonalds is high, so if you had an error in your insulin dosing that too could have contributed.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That's a good idea, Noblehead. I've fallen foul of this more times than I can remember. Whenever I have to order diet coke, I always say "I'm diabetic, so can you make sure it's diet"

How many threads like this have we seen on the forum over the years @SamJB, it happens all too often but I don't think there's any intent by the person serving the drink, mistakes do happen.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i don't drink no more but when i'm out i usally find mine are okay if not i have a spare meter i use to test drinks ;)

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How many threads like this have we seen on the forum over the years @SamJB, it happens all too often but I don't think there's any intent by the person serving the drink, mistakes do happen.
Loads!!!

As you said, the only answer is to have bottled/canned stuff or avoid.

SamFergusson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness

Super annoying isn't it!!
I worked in a pub years ago & one of the guys there admitted he didn't care if someone asked for a diet but he forgot & gave them regular, He said they if they're on a diet 1 normal drink won't kill them & they shouldn't be so fussy!!
I pretty quickly jumped in with what if it's for a medical reason?..... He looked shocked lol.
I explained about my diabetes & how just 1 regular coke would undo so much hard work with my levels. :banghead:

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand 100% that mistakes happen and that Im sure they didnt do it on purpose but it was still so annoying for me to sit and have to sort my bloods out at 31.
They had pushed down the diet button on the lid implying it was diet but obviously wasnt, I made my complaint and got a very nice email back apologizing alot and asking how i was which was nice.

mibby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Even with a diet drink, McDonalds burgers and chips contain a HUGE amount of sugar. I won't eat there any more after a meal at Charles de Gaulle airport sent my BG through the roof!

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Normally it doesnt affect me at all, My bloods are fine but this one time they were awful!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Finally after 3 hours or more Ive finally got the back down, they arent great but they are better I now feel so sick and my heads pounding. My partner made a good point to make a complaint or at least look into it because if i hadnt of got it down tonight would have been spent in a hospital ward with a IV drip..

Do you know wheather it was the pub or the MickeyDee that messed up??
Then there are other factors like miscalculated carbs. Or dodgy/off insulin batch..??

Gaztheoldpunk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have a simple solution... don't eat **** like McDonald's!! I avoid it like the plague cos of all the sugar and carbohydrates in all they're food... and it tastes ***** anyway!!!

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a simple solution... don't eat **** like McDonald's!! I avoid it like the plague cos of all the sugar and carbohydrates in all they're food... and it tastes ***** anyway!!!

I dont eat it that often but you know them days where youve worked 11 hours? and all you want to do is eat and then sleep..yeah it was one of them..

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you know wheather it was the pub or the MickeyDee that messed up??
Then there are other factors like miscalculated carbs. Or dodgy/off insulin batch..??

the pub i went to is the one i work in so they all know 100% its diet & everything else was worked out fine and the isulin was fin before and has been fine ever since.. x