Injecting

dookie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well 4 days to go then I start my victoza injections feel very nervous and apprehensive.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You'll be fine and once you've injected a few times you will feel much better about it, just try not to tense-up but relax as you do the injection as this will help.

SamFergusson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
Hi @dookie
Yeah @noblehead is right, once you've done it a few times you'll get more confidence with it.
Handy tip, make sure there isn't anything on the tip of the needle as you inject as I find that makes it sting a little, just tap the pen/syringe just before you do it :)

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I,m on victoza, you will be fine with injecting. Don,t worry if you get small bruises, just means you will be a bit firm putting the needle in. I would suggest to leave the victoza out of the fridge for a few minutes before injecting

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I would suggest to leave the victoza out of the fridge for a few minutes before injecting
Do you keep it in the fridge then? I didn't know that. Insulin is stored in the fridge until you need to use it, then the in-use pen must be kept and used at room temperature.

Injecting is much less painful than finger-pricking. The best lesson I've learnt through practice is to spend a few seconds quietly prepping myself for the injection, in terms of ensuring that my hand is comfortable and positioned to easily press the plunger (I once got it positionally totally wrong with my plunging thumb and gouged a lump out of my belly and put the needle through the opposite hand), I can see the dial if I need to check the dose and successful delivery and that my needle is nice and perpendicular to the skin so that it goes in smoothly. Some of the insulins sting, so as Sam said, flick any droplets off the tip of the needle before you touch the skin if Victoza is like that.

So a few seconds to ensure you've got everything just right and you'll be an old hand at it in no time and wondering what the fuss was all about - the anticipation is far worse than the event itself. I bet you'll go "was that it?".

Reactions: 2 people