Type 2 working away from home

Lynnbro

i have been a well controlled type 2 (diet) for 3 years now. Moved jobs 6 months ago and work away from home staying in hotels 3-4 nights a week. Hba1c gone from mid 40s to over 70. Put one almost 1stone but now levelled out. But exercise (just to do over 6 hours a week) and eating (food availability) are an issue.

Has anyone got any advise (other than giving up the job)?

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @daisy1 Im not sure if @Lynnbro has had the newcomers information. Hello and welcome to the forum. What kind of a diet do you follow? If following a low carb then a cooked hotel breakfast without the cereal , toast and jam would be good.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Diet will be the biggest factor in controlling your BG, and that is probably the hardest thing to take care of when you are away from base.

Planning well ahead to make sure you can eat the right foods, and not be forced by limited choice to have to eat the wrong foods would be my (only slightly) useful advice. Leaving it to the last minute, and only having bad choices of what to eat will not help you control BG.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi Yes I agree have a hotel breakfast, perhaps buy a flask and have soup for dinner with a roll and there is only dinner to think about .Just an idea trying to help:)

Reactions: 2 people

superwoman1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My lunches on the go consist of a Pepperami, hard boiled egg (M&S and others sell them in little pots) and a baby bel. I'd have thought if you'd had a good breakfast that would keep you going until dinner (steak and veg should be easy to find in most hotel restaurants)

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Living out of your job for hotels is tough. Not only is the availability of food limited, but many people have the psychological tendency to over-indulge because they're away from their homes and almost treat it as if they're on vacation. That might be okay if you only travel one day a month, but if you do that 12-16 times a month it catches up with you real quick.

Every hotel (that I've ever stayed in) has some sort of fitness room. I intentionally try to stay in hotels with nice gyms because it's an important part of my life. Even if it's just a treadmill, you have to make the most of what's in front of you.

I also try to stay in the same hotel chain because that gives me access to their lounges usually reserved for their top-tier customers. Most of them usually have a lounge and if they do, there's usually a decent chance they have some sort of low-carb food (cheese, meat, eggs, etc). To the average person that doesn't mean too much, but for a low-carber it can save a ton of money.

Worst case, there's no lounge and no gym. If that happens I'll go to a local grocery store and stock up on non-perishable foods so I'm not as tempted to deviate from my diet.

It's all about making the most of what you have. Sometimes that isn't much, and I find myself jogging around the hotel and eating low-carb energy bars, but it's better than giving up.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is difficult to resist temptation, but your health depends on it.

Breakfast - meat, eggs and cheese are good. avoid the juice, pastries, toast cereals etc

Lunch - salad if your eating out or nuts, cheese, roasted meats, olives etc

Dinner - roasted meats or fish with low carb veg or salad.

I control my diabetes with diet alone and being a veggie as well it can be difficult sometimes but most restaurants and hotels will be happy to rejig menu items so serving a salad without garlic bread and dressing for example or giving you a large portion of a low carb starter as a main course. When eating out I always ask if I can swap the carbs (chips, potatoes etc) usually served with an item for extra veg.

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
i have been a well controlled type 2 (diet) for 3 years now. Moved jobs 6 months ago and work away from home staying in hotels 3-4 nights a week. Hba1c gone from mid 40s to over 70. Put one almost 1stone but now levelled out. But exercise (just to do over 6 hours a week) and eating (food availability) are an issue.

Has anyone got any advise (other than giving up the job)?
I feel your pain seriously.

My work requires 100% travel worldwide.

Hotels/rigs/land/sea every place is different climates, food options and exercising possibilities. I spend around 200 days at work per year so can sometimes feel a bit like a yoyo when it comes to diet.

Best thing to do is try and educate yourself on the places your visiting and also a wider variety of foods depending how far you travel.

For e.g. I am currently in Saudi. I stay in the hotel until I am called to support an issue on one of the oil rigs. Whilst in the hotel I am stuck with the likes of TGI, chillys and similar large chain options for food... For me I choose a salad, a steak or chicken and opt for sides of steamed veg or just opt out completely.

Now if I'm called to a rig in Saudi they serve chicken and rice breakfast lunch dinner so no choice now with this I would just control my portions of the rice to minimise the carb intake.

Just try to prepare yourself for your next destination, trip advisor is really good I find to source places nearby.

Another option would be if your uk/states based is to ask work to source a B & B and before you go ring in advance and ask if you bring your own food is their a cooking facility or would they be able to prepare this for you. And take some Tupperware I have done this on training courses when I've been in the uk and only once out of several occasions was I refused. Just an idea that's all.

Good luck

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Lynnbro

Hello Lynn and welcome to the forum :) Here, in case you haven't already seen it, is the information we give to new members which should help you with your diet and food choices. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.