revive@2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
yobs +litter/.Loud music on t.v. when actors speaking
I keep seeing I am on
LCHF diet ???
does this mean low carbs then what is ???HF part of it ???
confused???

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HF stands for High Fat.

Sorry, what do you mean by "I keep seeing I am on LCHF diet ???"

Either you are, or you are not and I would think if you are, or want to be you should do a lot more research to understand exactly what the diet entails.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep seeing I am on
LCHF diet ???
does this mean low carbs then what is ???HF part of it ???
confused???
The acronym stands for "Low Carbohydrate High Fat."

On a basic level it's a diet many of us follow that involves restricting your carbohydrate consumption. Some people consider 150 carbs/day to be "low" while there is at least 1 member on this forum who eats zero carbohydrates in a day (all meat).

The other side of the diet "High Fat" can be confusing on first impression. The idea is that the calories lost from restricting your carbs must come from somewhere....which in this case is from dietary fat.

The common rejections (at least initially) to the diet are:
1.) "I want to lose weight, why would I eat MORE fat?"- (Dietary) Fat is incredibly difficult to turn into body fat in the absence of carbohydrates. Basically, (Dietary) fat doesn't make you fat.

2.) "I have high cholesterol so I can't follow this diet." I will not say it is false, but it's certainly not proven to be true. In fact, many people find their cholesterol numbers eventually IMPROVE on a low-carb/high-fat diet (although this is sometimes preceded by a slight short-term increase).

3.) "I want to lose weight fast so I'll just do the low-carb part and avoid the high fat." Not only is that an incredibly difficult approach to follow (with high failure and relapse rates), but it can actually have negative effects. If you starve your body of enough calories, it can go into a "survival mode." In the worst cases, that can mean extreme lethargy, muscle loss, and even FAT RETENTION as your body tries to protect it's energy reserves (which is really what body fat is).

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HF stands for High Fat.

Sorry, what do you mean by "I keep seeing I am on LCHF diet ???"

Either you are, or you are not and I would think if you are, or want to be you should do a lot more research to understand exactly what the diet entails.
I think OP means that she keeps seeing other posters saying that they are on LCHF.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

On a basic level it's a diet many of us follow that involves restricting your carbohydrate consumption. Some people consider 150 carbs/day to be "low" while there is at least 1 member on this forum who eats zero carbohydrates in a day (all meat).

The other side of the diet "High Fat" can be confusing on first impression. The idea is that the calories lost from restricting your carbs must come from somewhere....which in this case is from dietary fat.

1.) "I want to lose weight, why would I eat MORE fat?"- (Dietary) Fat is incredibly difficult to turn into body fat in the absence of carbohydrates. Basically, (Dietary) fat doesn't make you fat.

2.) "I have high cholesterol so I can't follow this diet." I will not say it is false, but it's certainly not proven to be true. In fact, many people find their cholesterol numbers eventually IMPROVE on a low-carb/high-fat diet (although this is sometimes preceded by a slight short-term increase).

3.) "I want to lose weight fast so I'll just do the low-carb part and avoid the high fat." Not only is that an incredibly difficult approach to follow (with high failure and relapse rates), but it can actually have negative effects. If you starve your body of enough calories, it can go into a "survival mode." In the worst cases, that can mean extreme lethargy, muscle loss, and even FAT RETENTION as your body tries to protect it's energy reserves (which is really what body fat is).
I agree. Both fat and protein help the body feel full after eating and are important when you reduce the carbs so you have enough fibre and so on.

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks,LCHF explained clearly and simply

Reactions: 2 people

revive@2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
yobs +litter/.Loud music on t.v. when actors speaking

thhankyou tet again I have down load from this site .lchf and will try follow it my cholesterol is 2 and preasure ok just my count they were ohhhh about .I have been 2 for 15 years then had ulcer and gaul stone rip intestine my pain soo bad had heart do .so in hospitial for 3 week then was put on insulin and glit tabs ,this made me gain 3 stone over year .swop drs and nurse put on nova 30 and metformin coated .48 at night 46 in morning .I was told 49 carb per meal so I do not have hypo have lost 7 lb since xmas .so think climb out of it ?/and found this site help me sooo much many thanks revive@2

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thhankyou tet again I have down load from this site .lchf and will try follow it my cholesterol is 2 and preasure ok just my count they were ohhhh about .I have been 2 for 15 years then had ulcer and gaul stone rip intestine my pain soo bad had heart do .so in hospitial for 3 week then was put on insulin and glit tabs ,this made me gain 3 stone over year .swop drs and nurse put on nova 30 and metformin coated .48 at night 46 in morning .I was told 49 carb per meal so I do not have hypo have lost 7 lb since xmas .so think climb out of it ?/and found this site help me sooo much many thanks revive@2
Your situation is very difficult for a number of reasons and I would be EXTREMELY cautious about making any changes. Novalog/Novarapid 70/30 is a mixed insulin (intermediate acting and short acting) which most of us are very much against and prefer to have the two types of insulin separate (called basal insulin which is long-acting, and bolus insulin which is short-acting).

Your Nova 70/30 is not designed for changes in your diet which is likely why they have you on a set carb intake. The problem with making changes is that if you eat less carbs and don't change your insulin you're very much at risk of hypos. Even if you do reduce your insulin, you're reducing both your short and longer term insulin intakes because it's mixed. In theory, changes in your diet should only require adjusting your short-term insulin.

Long story short- I'd talk to your doctor about moving to a basal/bolus (2 different pens) insulin regimen with the reasoning being that you'd like to have some flexibility with your diet.

iHs

Hi

It is possible to lose weight while using twice daily insulin. I did it to go on holidaay one year with a group of girls and like most females, we all want to look good in a bikini on the beach. So, I reduced my morning insulin by 1u and cut back a tiny bit on all my meals - breakfast less 5g, snack less 5g, lunch less 5g. That way, my insulin balanced out with the carb that I eat. I also did the same with my evening insulin and cut that back by 1u and reduced the carb that I eat.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
It is possible to lose weight while using twice daily insulin. I did it to go on holidaay one year with a group of girls and like most females, we all want to look good in a bikini on the beach. So, I reduced my morning insulin by 1u and cut back a tiny bit on all my meals - breakfast less 5g, snack less 5g, lunch less 5g. That way, my insulin balanced out with the carb that I eat. I also did the same with my evening insulin and cut that back by 1u and reduced the carb that I eat.
Yes, but you're also on a pump and you have the luxury to do that just like I do on a basal/bolus MDI regimen.

With mixed insulin you're not only reducing your bolus insulin, you're also reducing your basal at the same time.

To explain: right now it sounds like @revive@2 is on 94 units of 70/30 insulin per day and eating 147 grams of carbs.
It obviously isn't this easy, but doing the math that's:
65.8 units of intermediate insulin (94*70%)
28.2 units of fast-acting insulin (94*30%)

In theory, that equates to a 1unit:5.2g insulin:carb ratio (again, it's much more complicated than that).

With that in mind, if Revive wanted to reduce his or her carbs from 147g per day down to let's say 50g that would mean reducing basal insulin from 28.2 units down to 9.6 units (again assuming a 1:5.2 ratio).

That would be easy for someone on a pump or on basal/bolus, but for Revive, that would also cut his or her basal insulin by the same percentage. Think about it this way, what would happen if you reduced your basal by 66% (147g down to 50g)? I know that would mess my levels up like crazy.

iHs

Hi

I only started using a pump about 6 years ago after being type 1 for 44yrs. Before that, I spent 8yrs on bolus/basal which made my bg control very up and down until I sorted myself out with using a ratio to calculate my carbohydate to, a target bg level to use and a correction factor. I did this for 5 months while I waited for a pump to be approved with funding. I used twice daily insulin for 30 odd years and adjusted my carb to the bodyweight I wanted to be with the insulin I injected (called Balance). Losing weight with twice daily insulin can be done if need be.