Snacks

angie92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I've had type 1 diabetes since 2007 and I'm getting fed up of having the same old food to snack on eg rice cakes Cucumber and pepper sticks with a bit of dip and jelly (sugar free of course). I just wondering what else I could have to snack on??

Reactions: 4 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @angie92 :) I love my snacks! I bolus for them but try to keep the carbs around 20g usually. So I might have a healthy (ie not too much sugar) cereal bar, a biscuit or two, digestives with cheddar cheese on, cream crackers and Brie, an apple and a small biscuit, an avocado, etc

If you want largely carb-free snacks, then maybe nuts, Babybel, celery dipped in hummus or peanut butter, raw red pepper, ham and cream cheese, etc

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i make some lovely home made low carb snacks - get some thin sliced ham , spread some cream cheese on and then roll it up around a spring onion -- amazing and less than 2 carbs per roll

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Berries like strawberries/blueberries are a healthy snack and low in carbs, or what about some nuts or seeds (pumpkin seeds have a nice nutty taste)?

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi angie, savoury wise I make egg muffins (like mini quiches) but without the pastry, they keep well in the fridge so can make quite a few at once and can eat hot or cold :)

Reactions: 6 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I used to make muffins/ biscuits from almond flour & sweetener which were great snacks. Also I was partial to a handful of smoked almonds now and then. I went through a stage of snacking on low carb stevia sweetened licorice (HARIBO) sweets, but the side effects weren't pleasant :-(

I don't snack anymore and stay away from almonds, I tend to reach for the chewing when I have the 'snacking urge'.

monty1878

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Small bag of sweet & salted popcorn from home barging has 9g of carbs and a small bag of cheetos has 7.9g of carbs. These would be my treats every so often

1980amyk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Olives with feta cheese and roasted red pepper, cracker bread with hummus and cucumber and asda do rice cakes with a very thin layer of chocolate on that are under 10g of carbs these tend to satisfy a sweet craving

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Wurst , just curious, why did you turn away from almonds?

A number of reasons :-

When heated/ baked in muffins/cakes/biscuits they resulted in some unpleasant bowel movements :-( I must have a nut / almond intolerance.

I also had elevated cholesterol (LDL) and dropped most fats from my diet.

And finally they were causing unwanted weight gain, almonds are very high in calories!

Don't let this put you off though, they are a low carb wonder :)

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @angie92 - much like the rest I eat cheeses, 9 bars, nuts, cucumber & tzatsiki, hoummus, low carb crustless quiches, peanut butter (off the spoon)! Oh and a square of 85% choc or berries. HTH

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A number of reasons :-

When heated/ baked in muffins/cakes/biscuits they resulted in some unpleasant bowel movements :-( I must have a nut / almond intolerance.

I also had elevated cholesterol (LDL) and dropped most fats from my diet.

And finally they were causing unwanted weight gain, almonds are very high in calories!

Don't let this put you off though, they are a low carb wonder :)
Thanks for the clarification. I eat lots of nuts and use almond flour for baking. Sometimes I wonder if I am perhaps overdoing it. I also had high LDL and eliminated most saturated fats, keeping foods with high ratio of monosaturated fats - almonds are a good example.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for the clarification. I eat lots of nuts and use almond flour for baking. Sometimes I wonder if I am perhaps overdoing it. I also had high LDL and eliminated most saturated fats, keeping foods with high ratio of monosaturated fats - almonds are a good example.

If you are not experiencing side effects then I would continue eating them, especially the almond flour for baking. I was making some very nice cakes before I stopped and smoked almonds are delicious. When I dropped the LCHF diet my LDL halved , although I had some help from tablets :-0