Metformin and side effects Help!!!!

LizRayner

Hi all, I have been on Metformin 500mg 2 daily for 5 weeks, had tummy problems bloating / constipation / and indigestion . Although it has settled a bit I never felt right with them, then I saw on this site to ask doctor to change them to the SR ones. Went to doctors yesterday for a monthly review Asked him to change to SR, , yes he said straight away no problem, he said I had done really well in 6 weeks of being diagnosed.:happy: BG readings well down from what they were,:happy: weight loss good,:happy: told me to keep up what I was doing,:happy: told him I had joined this site and it was the best thing I had done.:happy: I was so elated, :happy: then I said, shall I give the other Metformin tablets I have left back to the chemist ? He said no keep them as sometimes you can get more problems with the SR ones, than you do with the normal Metformin if you do come back and will have to put you back on the Metformin . :eek::woot::confused:. Cn anyone let me know if they have changed to the SR ones and if they had side effects different to the normal ones?
(I had same bad guts trouble with 500mg of Metform) after 7 days I stopped taking them and really concentrated hard on low, low, complex carbs, high chicken, turkey, leafy green vegs to fill me up. 30 mins walk every day. BG down from 10 to 5.6 RESULT. Check out every label as even some cans of Tomatoes are high in carbs! Choose an Italian brand which are 1/2 UK types of brands... I have now lost 1 stone in 7 weeks and feel so much better, esp. now I am not in obese category anymore.

Reactions: 7 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Hi to everyone who answered my post, To DavidGrahamJones, I take 1 morning with food and 1 at dinner with food. If there is a change in my BG readings I will let you all know. Thank you

Hi, have you tried low-carbing to reduce your numbers, and thus, your meds? I have been low-carb-high-fat since the day I was diagnosed 16 months ago and have never taken meds... I am not pre-diabetic... this forum was the first thing I turned to and I still do.... the advice from people on here who have been low-carbing for years is sound - it might be worth you checking the low-carb threads - lots of lovely recipes too... good luck, whatever you choose to do..... Susi.....

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
(I had same bad guts trouble with 500mg of Metform) after 7 days I stopped taking them and really concentrated hard on low, low, complex carbs, high chicken, turkey, leafy green vegs to fill me up. 30 mins walk every day. BG down from 10 to 5.6 RESULT. Check out every label as even some cans of Tomatoes are high in carbs! Choose an Italian brand which are 1/2 UK types of brands... I have now lost 1 stone in 7 weeks and feel so much better, esp. now I am not in obese category anymore.
Hi LizRayner... that is wonderful news! You have to be strong, but it's worth it in the end... I even allow myself a couple of roast potatoes, etc, every now and again... :) Well done... good luck... Susi...

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I recently moved to the modified release. Best thing I ever did. All of the symptoms you had I had.....now a thing of the past.
Hi Klangley, I have been on metformin SR for 6 days now, all symptoms of bloating and stomach problems gone like you. Also I have not seen a rise in my BG readings either.:happy:

Reactions: 2 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @amgrundy . That really is good news. I was the same with the ordinary metformin but was fine once I changed to the slow release. Brilliant!

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hello @amgrundy . That really is good news. I was the same with the ordinary metformin but was fine once I changed to the slow release. Brilliant!
Thank you mo53 glad we feel ok with meds now.:happy:

Patsy_J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, I have been on Metformin 500mg 2 daily for 5 weeks, had tummy problems bloating / constipation / and indigestion . Although it has settled a bit I never felt right with them, then I saw on this site to ask doctor to change them to the SR ones. Went to doctors yesterday for a monthly review Asked him to change to SR, , yes he said straight away no problem, he said I had done really well in 6 weeks of being diagnosed.:happy: BG readings well down from what they were,:happy: weight loss good,:happy: told me to keep up what I was doing,:happy: told him I had joined this site and it was the best thing I had done.:happy: I was so elated, :happy: then I said, shall I give the other Metformin tablets I have left back to the chemist ? He said no keep them as sometimes you can get more problems with the SR ones, than you do with the normal Metformin if you do come back and will have to put you back on the Metformin . :eek::woot::confused:. Cn anyone let me know if they have changed to the SR ones and if they had side effects different to the normal ones?
I was started on Metformin and only lasted a week before telling the practice nurse how ill I had been and how they made me feel generally. She gave me a prescription for the SR Metformin which was so much better, I have been on them since last summer with no problems or side effects what so ever. Good luck.

Prof57

Constipation? I think I'm not going to be too far wrong in saying that if constipation, diarrhea and no change were the three main side effects of taking bog standard Metformin, being constipated would be in the minority and having diarrhea in the majority. However, without doing a straw poll on this forum, I can't say. The sustained release version certainly seems to sort out a lot of the people who have had diarrhea but I don't know about constipation.
Maybe there could be an occasion when you do have diarrhea and being able to take the standard Metformin would be of benefit.
One thing to consider is how the tablets are taken throughout the day. For example before/during/after a meal, it seems to make a difference. If there is a change in BG readings it would be interesting to find out why.
Food for thought. To keep everything regular with the tummy system I use a tablespoon of Psyllium Huskwith my morning cereal. Takes a few days to settle down but works for and some may find it appropriate. Cheap and should be available at your supermarket or in any Indian Shop. Hope this helps. Prof57

susan191052

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
additives in food, use of pesticides on food crops, tattoos, you, football
I started on Metformin on the same dose as you and it gave cramps & all the rest so was swapped to SR then changed to SR 1000mg x2 . got the trots, urgency, very bad wind so GP cut to 500mg x2 and all bad symptoms went away. My HbA1c was initially 138 and after 3 months was 50 and is now at 43 and am now on 500mg SR met. Good luck

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started on Metformin on the same dose as you and it gave cramps & all the rest so was swapped to SR then changed to SR 1000mg x2 . got the trots, urgency, very bad wind so GP cut to 500mg x2 and all bad symptoms went away. My HbA1c was initially 138 and after 3 months was 50 and is now at 43 and am now on 500mg SR met. Good luck
Have you changed your diet in any way or do you think the Metformin has brought your bloods down that low?

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hello susan191052 thank you for your reply, my HbA1c was 148 high too. Started on the SR Metformin a week ago tomorrow symptoms settled down a bit now, well done you. I was diagnosed in Jan this year lost a stone in weight and only have to go back in March / April for 3 monthly blood tests again. :)

googlegoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried the normal metformin with bad effects so doc tried the metformin SR but these didn't like me either. Doc thought that I might still have problems with them though so going back on Tuesday (not taking any medication at the moment and feel so much better) so concentrating on low carb from today. Done low carb before so I know it works but just went off the rails so now getting back on them

Robo42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For info, I seem to be a bit of a test subject since having to go on drugs after being diet controlled for 12 odd years.
So far been on:
Metformin (1 week 1x500mg, 3 weeks 2x500mg), bad effects
Metformin SR (4 weeks 1x500mg) same effects
Gliclazade MR (10 weeks 1x30mg), not too bad but said to change
Dapagliflozin (6 weeks 1x5mg) came off as possible effects on kidneys
Linagliptin (1x 5mg) so on now.
I don't have much of an idea what these have done to my hba1c the last 3 months. But although had 2 months of hell with stomach bad and feeling sick, I have seem to lost 14lbs and is staying off and hba1c was down a bit about 48.

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on standard Metformin - 4 tablets daily and my main problem is uncontrollable wind. I know it sounds funny, but some days I daren't go out. It is load and smelly and I have absolutely no control. Even bending over makes me pass wind.
After reading this, I think I'll speak to my GP about a change in medication.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on standard Metformin - 4 tablets daily and my main problem is uncontrollable wind. I know it sounds funny, but some days I daren't go out. It is load and smelly and I have absolutely no control. Even bending over makes me pass wind.
After reading this, I think I'll speak to my GP about a change in medication.
I think the word I am looking for is empathise. I empathise with your predicament. For me the SR /XR version of Metformin actually raised my bgl a point or so, and I returned to standard. I have to make sure which way i am pointing when I bend over too.

Seen_by

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I have changed to SR/XR I've been on them for a week now and on 2 a day at the mo I am still getting the sick feeling and I have noticed every muscle even my tongue ache really bad and I suffer with really bad headaches I have trouble sleeping but I am so tired all the time and have no energy also constantly got a horrible taste in my mouth, the nurse has told me to cut out sugar and have low carbs ( which I have done since I was diagnosed) and now she's told me to cut out starch, I had blood test done on Thursday and my level is 94 I have to go back Monday for more blood test, it is making me so low and depressed when I am normally a happy go lucky girl

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I have changed to SR/XR I've been on them for a week now and on 2 a day at the mo I am still getting the sick feeling and I have noticed every muscle even my tongue ache really bad and I suffer with really bad headaches I have trouble sleeping but I am so tired all the time and have no energy also constantly got a horrible taste in my mouth, the nurse has told me to cut out sugar and have low carbs ( which I have done since I was diagnosed) and now she's told me to cut out starch, I had blood test done on Thursday and my level is 94 I have to go back Monday for more blood test, it is making me so low and depressed when I am normally a happy go lucky girl
Sorry to hear this, and i recognize the tincan taste in the mouth as probably being Metformin related. The nausea may also be linked. to it. i do have to ask, are you taking a statin or other medication?

If you are going v low carb in your diet, then it may be that you need some more full fat products to give your system some fuel to replace the carbs you have cut out. You could test this by upping your carbs temporarily for a day to see if the tiredness goes away. However, I suspect the tiredness may be due to the high bgl levels, so increasing carbs may not be the best advice to give.`

Certainly starchy foods should be avoided now as an urgent action to bring your levels down. A bgl of 90 is roughly 14 mmol/L which is high but not at panic levels. Avoid white bread, rice and potatoes is the mantra normally quoted here. For me MSG in gravy is a monstrous NO NO, so i have to avoid processed meals with gravy in them, and chinese takeaways too. i can have fish and chips so long as I leave most of the batter and the chips on the plate.

Good Luck, and let us know how you get on next week/

Seen_by

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thank you for your reply I am not taking any other medication apart from the metformin s/r, I have had more bloods taking today so have to wait for my diabetic nurse to ring me. I do test my own sugar levels and they have been around 8.1 which I know are still on the high side but not as high as there we're my first test came up at 20.4 so they are going in the right direction.
I just hate feeling like **** all the time and it's starting to affect my marriage as I am snapping at my husband constantly.