NHS Podiatry Care?

Pozzie

As i have recently returned from a 10yr stint living in Australia, I am a bit unsure of the levels of care I am entitled to.
I recently saw my GP who advised I see a podiatrist urgently to have my feet assessed. I have had quite bad neuropathy for about 2yrs. She suggested i needed regular care for my feet. She said they have a podiatrist attached to their surgery, but when I phoned this morning to make an appoitnment, i was told that i would have to pay £30 for my first visit. Subsequent visits would be at a lower price. She said that it is very hard to get free foot care on the NHS nowadays. Is that true?
Before I went abroad, I am sure that foot care was free for diabetics as i remember my mother having it. Have things changed now??

valattrevear

Dislikes
Vegetables!
I find this puzzling, as I have what my podiatrist refers to as "open access" whenever I need it. No mention has ever been made of any charge. Is it possible that your GP needs to refer you to this service? I would contact the GP and ask to have this clarified!
Val

Pozzie

Yes, i am a bit confused myself now!

The podiatrist works within the GP surgery building, so you would think there would be some sort of communication or protocol they use between each other, but the GP just said go make an appointment with her! I'm suspicious now :?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi pozzie.

Here is a link to the South East Essex Health Trust which has all the information about Podiatric Care in Hockley, Essex area I believe. Have a read especially the bit about self referral to one of your nearest Clinics.

http://www.see-pct.nhs.uk/services/comm ... ice_id=221

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Pozzie
As far as I am aware, a diagnosed diabetic may refer him/herself to the local NHS podiatry service. that doesn't mean you'll get an appointment fast. I contacted my service a while back and so far all I've got is a phone call to say they have me on their radar.
£30 sounds like the private charge for removal of verruccae. I'd ring back and check and then refer back to the GP.
My T1 husband has regular appointments with the podiatrists to look after his Charcot feet. He certainly doesn't pay

C

catherinecherub

Podiatry care is very patchy for diabetics. It varies from area to area and some have to pay for it.

http://www.diabetes.nhs.uk/our_work_areas/footcare/

My feet are still looked after by myself as I have no problems. My G.P. did say that should I ever need it he can recommend a few local podiatrists but I would have to pay.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I see a podiatrist free at the local clinic. (Hounslow.) At one visit I was referred to the hospital for some shoe inserts which fixed a problem.

Pozzie

Thanks for the link Cugila and the other replies.

So, if i have read the link correctly, i AM entitled to free care and can book my own appointments without going to the GP! I shall get straight onto it!
I still think its a bit of a nerve trying to weasle £30 out of me through my ignorance. I hope there arent poor unsuspecting pensioners who can ill afford it to be ripped off like this!

nannybarbara

I did a search on Podiatry Care for Mid-Essex PCT and got absolutely nowhere! There seems to be only one Chiropodist/Podiatrist in the immediate Chelmsford area that mentions diabetes expertise. I may be a redundant pensioner - but I'm gonna have to pay! I might have to bend my postcode to come under South East Essex (Billericay is only about 10 miles away!)

Barbara

nannybarbara

Thank you so much, Sue,

I was all over the Mid Essex website yesterday and I didn't find that! :oops: How dim am I?

Broomfield Hospital is just up the road from me. I don't use their diabetes team because I get done at the GP's surgery. I'll have a word at the surgery and see if I can get myself transferred there. I have met the lead DSN - she was temporarily working at the "insulin half-way house" when I was summoned to check my progress. She was great.

Thanks again
Barbara

clairre

Pozzie said:
As i have recently returned from a 10yr stint living in Australia, I am a bit unsure of the levels of care I am entitled to.
I recently saw my GP who advised I see a podiatrist urgently to have my feet assessed. I have had quite bad neuropathy for about 2yrs. She suggested i needed regular care for my feet. She said they have a podiatrist attached to their surgery, but when I phoned this morning to make an appoitnment, i was told that i would have to pay £30 for my first visit. Subsequent visits would be at a lower price. She said that it is very hard to get free foot care on the NHS nowadays. Is that true?
Before I went abroad, I am sure that foot care was free for diabetics as i remember my mother having it. Have things changed now??

I also believe that it should be free. And to think it's your first visit, usually they don't have to charge for a consultation as well. I don't know if this rule is applicable in your location.