Post-hypo headaches

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Whenever i have a hypo i always get the worst headahces a few hours afterwards.

Most painkillers i've tried just don't touch it, anyone have good suggestions?

What causes the headaches? Is it an inflammatory response?

-off to lie in dark room now, ow!-

kewgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Celtic-Piskie

Hope you have managed to come out of the dark room by now! 8)

My understanding of the “hypo headache” is when blood glucose (BG) levels are low the blood vessels in the brain contract (get smaller).

As the BG levels rise the blood vessels then begin expanding (get larger) thus it’s the contracting & expanding of the blood vessels as the BG levels change that cause the headaches.

If changes in blood glucose levels are rapid a headache is more likely to occur which makes a lot of sense if we are raising BG levels in response to hypoglycaemia.

Prompt response to and not over treating the hypo can reduce those orrid headaches but I feel that one of the challenges is that when we experience a “bad hypo” its bloomin’ scary and with the stress receptors in full throttle its very easy to over treat the hypo.

Txx

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi ya, I agree, over treating the hypo has caused me headaches in the past, horrible, heavy headaches if that makes sense?! Feel like my head is full of lead :lol: (insert the obvious joke here!) try and keep treatment to just 15g fas acting carbs, re-test 10 mins later and then 15g fast acting again if no/not much response. It is scary I know, but I try and remember how horrible the headaches are and resist eating all the biscuits in the cupboard :lol: easier said than done when you are sweaty and scared though, I know!

Hope you feel better now :D

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i always have what i call a hypo head after hypos, spongy head and a strange ache :?

kewgirl said:
Hi Celtic-Piskie

Hope you have managed to come out of the dark room by now! 8)

My understanding of the “hypo headache” is when blood glucose (BG) levels are low the blood vessels in the brain contract (get smaller).

As the BG levels rise the blood vessels then begin expanding (get larger) thus it’s the contracting & expanding of the blood vessels as the BG levels change that cause the headaches.

If changes in blood glucose levels are rapid a headache is more likely to occur which makes a lot of sense if we are raising BG levels in response to hypoglycaemia.

Prompt response to and not over treating the hypo can reduce those orrid headaches but I feel that one of the challenges is that when we experience a “bad hypo” its bloomin’ scary and with the stress receptors in full throttle its very easy to over treat the hypo.

Txx

You have cleared a few nthings up for me, thank you I often wondered why the pain was so bad.

gkyeo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok, I like the theory of contraction, expansion of blood vessels. I'd always thought it was a reaction to glucagon released. Can anyone tell me why I get nausea so bad, some times I cant keep anything down for the next twelve hours?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My hypo headaches start before I actually go that low.

I also get the same symptoms if I go too high, it's my early warning alarm.

I could just about put up with the pain as it was a nagging one behind the eyes, but I used to have worse ones with migraine headaches, which was a symptomatic effect of really high blood levels.

I never had nausea, but I believe that it could be an effect similar to being sick when drunk, your liver is sending help messages and helping you get rid of what is causing the hypo.

I could be talking rubbish tho!

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get headaches after a bad hypo, like a hypo hangover, least that's what I call them.