Late type 1 not type 2

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you looked at the Carbs & Cals app? I use that. You can also customise it by adding your own food items and dishes under 'My Foods'.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1456744938.781616.jpg

Also Cook & Count:

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1456745020.950960.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
After a few months of feeling unwell and having consistently high numbers (last hba1c 113) I have been "upgraded" to type 1 after an original type 2 diagnosis, I'm 40 years old. I started insulin on Tuesday after being given an emergency appointment.
15u lantus
8u novorapid

When I read all of the info from my diabetic team the focus is on carb counting, before I was told to go low carb. Do I need to eat more carbs now? How many in a day?
I haven't yet seen a dietician and I don't have an appointment for the diabetic clinic until the end of April.

Exact same thing happened to me, I was originally diagnosed as T2 and almost 2 months later I was re diagnosed as T1 after the C-peptide and GAD tests. The book Diabetic Solution by Dr Bernstein really helped me to learn all about Diabetes but reading is no substitute for real experience.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Helen_S-C I was diagnosed late onset type 1 last year and have a 5 year old.
Look at the runsweet website for running advice/support for diabetics. Exercise tool a while to get right for me.
The Bdec carb counting thing is useful as a starting point. Carbs and cals is great and loads of nutrition info on the web to help with counting. Do weigh things and also get used to the fact that some foods will not be as expected. Rice always messes up my numbers.
Huge hug.

Helen_S-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mood swings
I found that going on a carb course was such a great help. It really let's you understand how to control your insulin and foods!
I'm sorry you have to cope with diabetes and your kids, but over time you will get use to it, and you will understand it more. Don't be so hard on yourself, you are going through a difficult time. This forum has helped me loads, people on here know more then nurses and doctors haha!
Thanks, I definitely agree that people know more than doctors and nurses and the forum helps me massively. You guys are the only ones that really get it!!