Toujeo

Specsquee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So after much hullabaloo with my insurance it appears that the insulin I can receive with no problems or long back and fourths between them and my doctors is Toujeo (big surprise they push one of the newer insulins and lock me out of levamir / lantus options).

That being said Iv been having trouble finding people's experience with this insulin. Are people finding it keeps you fairly average like the Lantus? Has anyone experienced the problem some Lantus users have been experiencing with hypos shortly after use? Just want to become informed by those that have used it. Would be using it with novapod.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Specsquee, I'm not sure that it has been prescribed much in the UK. It only became available in August 2015. you may have more luck with US forums as I think it's been available longer over there.

According to the clinical trials, users experienced lower levels of nocturnal hypoglycaemia and it had a flatter profile, but you'd be better asking the US guys for experiences!

Specsquee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have not been able to scrounge up anything so I will update this thread with my findings and how it effects me. So far it has been working great it has kept me very balanced even at work. I work graveyards outside so constant change in temperature and constantly moving and it's keeping up great. So far no lows or highs out of the ordinary.

Specsquee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Quick update: So far I have had no problems with Toujeo. Been on it about a week. Has kept me near a constant 90 - 100. No hypos or any spikes of any kind since beginning it. Just watching my diet and letting it do its job.

Will post another update after some more time has passed since not much user information is available for Toujeo yet. If anyone has any questions about it feel free to ask and ill answer to the best of my abilities.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My consultant offered to change me from Humalin I to Toujeo last month. I was interested, until I asked about pens and was told it only came in disposable pens. At that point, I declined,on environmental grounds.

Specsquee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My consultant offered to change me from Humalin I to Toujeo last month. I was interested, until I asked about pens and was told it only came in disposable pens. At that point, I declined,on environmental grounds.
I have troubles with syringes. So the pens work perfectly for me. I see where your coming from though.

Bubs_p

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been using toujeo since December, I felt it worked better than Lantus. Unfortunately I am presently suffering hypos after taking it. Not too sure why but has been like this for 2 weeks, sites seem fine and all previous months were fine. Just all of a sudden

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have been using toujeo since December, I felt it worked better than Lantus. Unfortunately I am presently suffering hypos after taking it. Not too sure why but has been like this for 2 weeks, sites seem fine and all previous months were fine. Just all of a sudden

Worth mentioning this to your DSN, you shouldn't go hypo after taking a basal insulin.

Specsquee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Worth mentioning this to your DSN, you shouldn't go hypo after taking a basal insulin.

Could it have an issue like some reported with the Lantus? Although I have not seen an outcry much like the one stickied here

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Could it have an issue like some reported with the Lantus? Although I have not seen an outcry much like the one stickied here

Who can say, I was on lantus insulin for several years and only once experienced a hypo soon after injecting, but as I also took my Novorapid around the same time it was more than likely down to my bolus dose as I waited too long before eating.

None of us on here are HCP's so it's always wise to get some input from your diabetes team on insulin related issues.

mattmo86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm being switched onto Toujeo, just wondering if anyone here is using it? How do you find it?

I'm currently on Lantus.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was offered a transfer at my annual appointment at hospital clinic in January, but refused,when I realised that it was only available in disposable pens. I objected on environmental grounds, plus I find my twice daily Humalin I perfectly acceptable. I couldn't help thinking he'd been encouraged to prescribe by the manufacturers. He said he'd never had anyone refuse disposable pens on environmental grounds, but accepted my beliefs.

Gary61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have recently been switched onto this insulin mainly because I found that by Carb/dosage levels needed to be increased in the afternoon due to my Lantus basically running out of steam. So far I have found that it definitely lasts far longer and that I also inject pretty much the same dosage as before, so as far as I'm concerned it's a win win result.

Leebob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I used to be on lantus but i got put on toujeo beginning of February.

Has it made you feel more tired and lethargic?

Lee
I have recently been switched onto this insulin mainly because I found that by Carb/dosage levels needed to be increased in the afternoon due to my Lantus basically running out of steam. So far I have found that it definitely lasts far longer and that I also inject pretty much the same dosage as before, so as far as I'm concerned it's a win win result.

Specsquee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have major hypos if I miss it for a day which makes no sense whatsoever!

As for feeling tired of lethargic and tired I have noticed no difference since starting in Toujeo. Also have not had any issues with hypos on it so far. Sorry I could not be anymore help.

djwesttexas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm a T1D from Texas in the US. I am interested in reports from people using Toujeo and Tresiba and noticed this thread. Is Tresiba available where you are (U.K?)? I have been using Tresiba for about 6 weeks and have been delighted in how it provides very level basal control.