Unexplained morning highs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hey @donnellysdogs Yeah I'm struggling at the moment as I have been unwell. Hopefully as I get better I will get a better understanding of what is happening. I can now see what you mean about not being able to do a simple % split though lol. I think I'm going to have to amend it to circumstances per day. :)

It may well be that you will need to just think aheadeach morning.. I have a correction does of bolus each morning with just guessing (!)- that depends upon reading and what I'm doing for the first few hours. Again I do my basal in bed with a cup of coffee and think about my day.. Is hubby off? Is it weekend? Are we going walking? Are we staying in wtc but I will only change my basal by a maximim of 1 unit- normally just a 1/2 unit..

You need to pay attention this weekend and probably early part of next week but I'm sure that you will find your levels balancing better...

Antipodes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
Just did a test last night. Stayed away from any food after An early dinner, measured at bed, then 2am, then 7am and all seemed normal again. BSL 5.6, 4.7, then 4.6.
Looking back at my bad week of morning highs there is a pattern of late night food intake to balance an expected low, but was probably still being digested over night, with Rapide probably out of my system and the nighttime lantus not able to cover the load of sugars.
So will check again tonight, but seems to be slow digestion overnight, with no rapide in my system.
Thanks to all for some good suggestions and ideas.

Vedika

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Consult with your doctor asap. It is showing either you have too low bg levels during your sleep, or your insulin doesn't cover your need.

Edited by a mod due to inappropriate dose advice
Thanks, seems that my BG levels are very low during early morning, I will get better understanding when i go back for my check up this week.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Thanks, seems that my BG levels are very low during early morning, I will get better understanding when i go back for my check up this week.

Do you have breakfast? If you are going low (or high) 2-3 hours after any eating bolus then it will be that which is likely to be the problem....

Antipodes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
my blood sugars been quite high over the last few weeks when i wake up. At bedtime they are about normal. Can anyone explain please?
Hi vedka
I am T1, 5 years and keep my sugars pretty well controlled (last HBA1C 6.5). I just had the same weird week of morning highs as well. Totally inexplicable, no change in anything, no illness etc.
I play with my lantus splits with exercise etc, and I just did a few things this week that brought my sugars under control again.
First one was cut out any food intake after about 6:30 or 7pm. That reduces one variable. Then I know the bedtime BSL will be 'stable', as Rapide should be through my system and food should generally all be digested.
Second one was up the split of lantus. Usually I am 10units at night, 4 in the morning. I went to 14 at night and an extra 2 in the morning for about 2 days, then went back to the usual 10/4 split. While I dropped a little lower than I would like on those 2 days, my BSL is back down and morning highs aren't occurring.
I can't give you a medical or physiological explanation, other than maybe residual late night food digestion that continues after Rapide has cleared the system, and the lantus can't cover the sugars adequately.
I did a few 2am BSL tests to eliminate night time hypos just to check.
Morning effect seems to become more prominent every now and again, and I can wake high, exercise intensely without breakfast and stay high (almost like the BSL is more resistant to insulin for some strange reason). But once I bring the sugars under control again morning effect seems to disappear again.
Aahhh the joys of being completely in the dark about your own bodies machinations!!
Hope this helps in a small way.

claire_786

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It happened to me so I changed my levemir from 8pm to 10pm and it has made a huge difference

keep_going

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm just waiting for my results of a 5 day CGM because we think I have been sleeping though night hypos. I have been feeling pretty grotty on most days. I also have dropped my night time levemir from 11u to 8u (with DSN suggestion) and I think that has solved it...but it took just over a week to settle into this new ration. I now think my day time levemir might need reducing too. I need an overhaul!!

Reactions: 2 people