Blurred vision and diabetes

Kelsey21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all I was diagnosed with diabetes 4 weeks ago, blood sugars were really high, was initially on gliclazide but due to increasingly high BM readings was put on insulin twice a day 10 days ago, this does seem to be slowly settling BM readings but since diagnosis my eye sight has become increasingly blurry to the point I cannot see anything close up, reading etc... I have had to buy some strong reading glasses just to be able to see, have other people experienced this and will it get better, prior to this I had really good eye sight for close up but had glasses for driving as long distance was an issue. It would appear this has changed around which apart from the frustration is giving me bad headaches and is of course a worry, any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Like to know what those readings have been .... need that info if you could.

Once your BS are under control, your eyesight should correct. That is a pretty common side effect.. Unless I have missed something, have you established whether you're T1 or T2 yet?

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Kelsey
welcome to the forum :)
blurred vision is quite common as blood sugars reduce fairly rapidly from the highs pre diagnosis

as you stabilise the sight should return to normal within a few weeks.

do let your care team know you are experiencing this symptom as well.

Kelsey21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, not sure what actually blood test results were as didn't ask at the time, was in a state of shock when got a phone call from doctors surgery saying blood test had shown very high levels of sugars and I was definitely diabetic and to go straight to the surgery for medication, at that time my BM was 27.5 and I was given the gliclazide. Few days later felt even worse so they doubled dosage to 180mg twice a day and introduced insulin 10mls twice a day as my BM's were still in the 20's. Last week they went to 31.6 resulting in a hospital admission and being on a drip for 24 hours to rehydrate and try and being levels down which after 48 hours they were lower but still unsettled although no where near the high 20's they had been. It was at this time in hospital that I noticed my eyes getting worse and was told it was just due to the high sugar and would settle. Doctor has advised I go to opticians just to be on the safe side and I have appointment tomorrow. Just expected eyesight would have started to improve by now not feel worse than it has ever been.
Thanks for reply.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Hi @Kelsey21 it's very common in diabetics. I usually get it when my sugars are up and it usually resolves in a few weeks.:)

Kelsey21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry also forgot to say no official diagnosis of t1 or t2 yet I am only slim and already have a diagnosis of autoimmune thyroid disease so doctors say probably linked to this which I believe could mean a diagnosis of t1 or LADA,, still getting my head around all this so apologies if some of the terminology is wrong ! Also been told by diabetic nurse to test regularly to build up a picture of sugar levels and to just eat normal, so confusing

Dark Horse

High blood sugars can change the focussing power of the lens and it is quite common for people newly diagnosed with diabetes to temporarily experience blurring of their eyesight until their blood sugars are under control. It is for this reason that people are recommended to wait a few weeks after diabetes is diagnosed before purchasing new glasses.

This is different from the blurring that can occur due to diabetic retinopathy affecting the macula (maculopathy). If someone looks at an object through a pinhole in a piece of paper (in bright light) and the object appears less blurred, it indicates a problem with the focussing power of the lens rather than with the retina. The fact your vision is improving with glasses suggests you are experiencing the temporary blurring that occurs with high sugars but if you are worried, consult an optician. In any case, if you are in the UK you should be offered an eye screening appointment within 3 months of diagnosis.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The "eat normal" comment from the DN you can throw out with the garbage. If that referred to sugars and carbs and stuff you should NOT be eating, it's just advice best left ignored

Have you given us a run down of your daily diet as yet?

Forget the terminology as we get it ... but as advised, read the forums, change what you eat, take control and ASK anything you wish We have to get those numbers down quick smart. It isn't that hard with effort and commitment and support.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Not sure if that's correct by her very own comment

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not sure if that's correct by her very own comment

Only the OP can confirm her type @Mike D She reports she was initially diagnosed as Type 2 but then that was changed to Type 1 because of auto-immune issues.

Specsquee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all I was diagnosed with diabetes 4 weeks ago, blood sugars were really high, was initially on gliclazide but due to increasingly high BM readings was put on insulin twice a day 10 days ago, this does seem to be slowly settling BM readings but since diagnosis my eye sight has become increasingly blurry to the point I cannot see anything close up, reading etc... I have had to buy some strong reading glasses just to be able to see, have other people experienced this and will it get better, prior to this I had really good eye sight for close up but had glasses for driving as long distance was an issue. It would appear this has changed around which apart from the frustration is giving me bad headaches and is of course a worry, any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Recently diagnosed myself. I had the same issue you are going through for about 4 days (right when i went back to work). What worked for me in getting that fixed quickly was consistency in regards to food and readings. The faster i got my body used to its new condition, the faster the inability to focus resolved itself.

Hope it rights itself soon for you.

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Kelsey21
Have you been issued with a meter?

@Mike D makes a valid point reagarding "eat normally" (regardless of what type you actually are) at this point in the game. As well as cutting out the usual sugar stuffed suspects.
It would be worth your while to minimalize the "spuds", pasta & bread too..?! Milk will slowly push up th BS as well.. Especially on the regime I believe you are. (From what I can read?)

I wish you all the best!

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
High blood sugars can change the focussing power of the lens and it is quite common for people newly diagnosed with diabetes to temporarily experience blurring of their eyesight until their blood sugars are under control. It is for this reason that people are recommended to wait a few weeks after diabetes is diagnosed before purchasing new glasses.

This is different from the blurring that can occur due to diabetic retinopathy affecting the macula (maculopathy). If someone looks at an object through a pinhole in a piece of paper (in bright light) and the object appears less blurred, it indicates a problem with the focussing power of the lens rather than with the retina. The fact your vision is improving with glasses suggests you are experiencing the temporary blurring that occurs with high sugars but if you are worried, consult an optician. In any case, if you are in the UK you should be offered an eye screening appointment within 3 months of diagnosis.
What Dark Horse says is A-1 spot-on right. Just work on getting your sugars down. Low carb if you want to do that quickly. High carb is out if you want this to stop.

koicarp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Blurry vision in the evening was actually one of my symptoms when I was first diagnosed. Then once I was put on to insulin and my levels started to return to normal I lost my vision for about 6 weeks, it's an awful thing to go through needing reading glasses but your sight will come back once your eyes have re-adjusted back to normal sugar levels. That's how it was explained to me anyway :)

Fido78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kelsey21
I had poor eyesight and blurry vision pre diagnosis. High blood sugar causes the lens of the eye to swell, which changes your ability to see. To correct this kind of blurred vision, you need to get your blood sugar back into the target range.