Going abroad

DizzyChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
i am off on holiday to Barbados in February which is my first holiday abroad since being diagnosed. Do I need a letter from the doctor about my medication. I am taking Metforim

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont think you will need a letter from your Dr but it would pay to keep it in its original bottle or packet as you received it from the pharmacy. You may not be able to take it in your hand luggage. If you are at all worried about it you coild always get a letter from your Dr to be on the safe side.

Reactions: 2 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You will need to inform your travel insurance company that you are diabetic, as failure to notify any pre-existing conditions would invalidate your insurance.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting read. It just goes to show how everything is changing and how transparent everything has to be nowadays.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I took out annual worldwide travel insurance in February before I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes. I rang the insurance company last week to tell them I have since been diagnosed as diabetic. They have noted it on my list of pre-existing conditions and sent me an amended cover statement. There was no additional premium or charge.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I took out annual worldwide travel insurance in February before I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes. I rang the insurance company last week to tell them I have since been diagnosed as diabetic. They have noted it on my list of pre-existing conditions and sent me an amended cover statement. There was no additional premium or charge.

"That's the way you do it!" <<<<< spoken in the voice of Mr Punch.

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
Off to plunder Gran Canaries (the islands not the birds) later this month. Can I keep my insulin and BG meter in my hand luggage. I will take my prescriptions, do I need a letter from my doctor? Insurance all sorted via diabetes.co.uk

Lou73

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yea, you can keep them in your hand luggage but you will need a letter from your doctor. I have a letter provided by my DSN to say that I need to carry them.