Not losing weight and Metformin

kazzers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not feeling healthy and in tip top condition
I'm hoping that someone might be able to advise me or explain to me why; 1. when I am trying to do the 5:2 fasting eating programme , I test my blood sugar and it will still be 8 !! even though I've eaten nothing all day ??
2. Why do I find the low carb thing SO difficult, I just get such sugar cravings or cravings for cereal (porridge, Dorset cereal ) and then I cave in and eat that stuff. I really DO want to do the Low Carb but at the moment I am yo-yoing between 5:2 and Low Carb doing neither of them properly , so depressing :-(

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We could probably do with a bit more info on what you are in fact eating? And obviously eating carbs won't help your readings go down... but you know that already.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I can't comment on the 5:2 program as I've never done it but personally I would just go for simple low-carbing. In general if you have enough proteins and fats to make up for the lower carbs you will feel full for longer and your sweet tooth will recede. Let us know some typical meals you have. Ref blood sugar all day, the liver continuously pushes out glycogen (glucose) all day. When you are diabetic the body may not be able to use it properly hence the blood sugar rise. It's why those on insulin usually have a 24 hour insulin as well as a meal-time one.

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why have you started this thread ,you have been a forum member long enough,you now the answers

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm hoping that someone might be able to advise me or explain to me why; 1. when I am trying to do the 5:2 fasting eating programme , I test my blood sugar and it will still be 8 !! even though I've eaten nothing all day ??
2. Why do I find the low carb thing SO difficult, I just get such sugar cravings or cravings for cereal (porridge, Dorset cereal ) and then I cave in and eat that stuff. I really DO want to do the Low Carb but at the moment I am yo-yoing between 5:2 and Low Carb doing neither of them properly , so depressing :-(
5:2 does that to me too so I came off it quickly. I think it's about your body getting stressed and making a lot of adrenaline and that will raise BG. 8/16 works fine for me though.

If I were you I'd forget about fasting for the time being and concentrate on getting used to live without starch until you're comfortable with it. You can start experimenting with IF later.

Reactions: 2 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
@kazzers
I think switching between the two different diets is confusing not only you but maybe your levels.

I think you need to commit to one diet and maintain that with Daily BFG readings and tests particularly if you cave in so you are reminded of what those carbs are doing to you

My guess is that LCHF would be a great place to start. let us know as we are happy to support you

Penelope20184

I couldn't cope with the 5/2 diet,but having watched the tv programme "trust me,I'm a doctor",I'm now trying the time controlled eating plan whereby you only eat between 8am and 6pm or 9am to 7pm.After that you only drink plain water.I didn't think it would work,but I've lost 9lbs in 6 weeks and I'm hopeful that when I next get tested my blood sugar levels will be lowered.Keeping everything crossed!!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
2. Why do I find the low carb thing SO difficult, I just get such sugar cravings or cravings for cereal (porridge, Dorset cereal ) and then I cave in and eat that stuff.

We're all different but I could not begin to tell you the sight of that stuff makes me ill ... quite apart from the taste. Wet cardboard has more appeal. The cravings will pass soon enough .... tough it out. Trust me, you'll feel a LOT better for it

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The 5:2 diet is a lot harder when you still have the cravings and you also fall foul of temptation. You need to rid the baddies out sight and reach until you have got the change in lifestyle. I know it's hard, but if you want the benefits of low carbing and fasting, then will power needs to be uppermost.
Once you are in control, then the odd slip up won't be as drastic.
I am on an intermittent fasting day.
I won't be eating till mid afternoon from last evening. It is easier than doing the longer fasting regimes.
But you do need to get back on board the low carb train ride of living healthy.

@Mike D how are you mate?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with much of the above, I currently do my version of 5:2, but there is no way I could have begun that without first doing Low Carb for 6 months or more.

Trying to intermittent fast whilst still having cravings would be impossible for me.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband did the 5:2 diet with low carb on the other days about 90g carb on the 5 days. He's not diabetic but he lost 2.5 stone.

The five days you still have to be mindful of what you eat - you can't really eat whatever - he had about 1800 cals on those days made up of protein healthy fats such as avacado, nuts, cold olive oil, some butter and milk, above ground veg and a couple of slices of burgen bread.

You can conbine the 2 but you have to keep off the rubbish such as processed food, cereal, and starchy carbs such as potatoes, rice and flour.

Write a weeks menu and buy only this, any cereals etc that push your blood sugar up bin them - try not to eat sweet stuff - train your palate to not want it - if you really need something to hit that sweet spot try a couple of squares of dark choc or sugar free jelly.

Addiction to carbs is just like any other addiction that's why it's so hard but you can do it have faith in yourself. Sometimes you just have to take one day, one hour or even one minute at a time.

Reactions: 4 people

kazzers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I agree with much of the above, I currently do my version of 5:2, but there is no way I could have begun that without first doing Low Carb for 6 months or more.

Trying to intermittent fast whilst still having cravings would be impossible for me.
could you tell me what is considered Low Carb (for a beginner)

windy2k14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sound like me - beginner. had problems recently while had the bad cold going round that sent my BG levels crazy and asked for advice. Was told not to have cereal in the mornings as that sent sugar levels even higher. started having grilled bacon, omlette (sometimes with a little cheese), Mushrooms and tomato for breakfast - sometimes add sausage.

If I have bread for lunch (which I now make my own) its always thin and never more than 2 small slices but careful what you put on.

Dinner basically normal meal but if have potato then no bigger than an egg, plenty of veg (which I always steam). Careful what meat you have, sausages have carb so limit them if possible, obviously pies are high carb.

I find if I want pie I will cook up some mince, veg and gravy type sauce which I add herbs and spices.

I find this tends to keep my BG in limits and can always tell when I done wrong.

If I snack its usually a small banana or fruit but careful of the carbs and sugar again. If I want a change I have raw sugar snap peas or mangetout (I enjoy most things like that raw as its good and crunchy and replaces the desire for crisps)

hope that helps

kazzers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sound like me - beginner. had problems recently while had the bad cold going round that sent my BG levels crazy and asked for advice. Was told not to have cereal in the mornings as that sent sugar levels even higher. started having grilled bacon, omlette (sometimes with a little cheese), Mushrooms and tomato for breakfast - sometimes add sausage.

If I have bread for lunch (which I now make my own) its always thin and never more than 2 small slices but careful what you put on.

Dinner basically normal meal but if have potato then no bigger than an egg, plenty of veg (which I always steam). Careful what meat you have, sausages have carb so limit them if possible, obviously pies are high carb.

I find if I want pie I will cook up some mince, veg and gravy type sauce which I add herbs and spices.

I find this tends to keep my BG in limits and can always tell when I done wrong.

If I snack its usually a small banana or fruit but careful of the carbs and sugar again. If I want a change I have raw sugar snap peas or mangetout (I enjoy most things like that raw as its good and crunchy and replaces the desire for crisps)

hope that helps
Thank you so much, that really helps , Can't wait to begin now, going shopping tomorrow !!

kazzers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My husband did the 5:2 diet with low carb on the other days about 90g carb on the 5 days. He's not diabetic but he lost 2.5 stone.

The five days you still have to be mindful of what you eat - you can't really eat whatever - he had about 1800 cals on those days made up of protein healthy fats such as avacado, nuts, cold olive oil, some butter and milk, above ground veg and a couple of slices of burgen bread.

You can conbine the 2 but you have to keep off the rubbish such as processed food, cereal, and starchy carbs such as potatoes, rice and flour.

Write a weeks menu and buy only this, any cereals etc that push your blood sugar up bin them - try not to eat sweet stuff - train your palate to not want it - if you really need something to hit that sweet spot try a couple of squares of dark choc or sugar free jelly.

Addiction to carbs is just like any other addiction that's why it's so hard but you can do it have faith in yourself. Sometimes you just have to take one day, one hour or even one minute at a time.
thank you for your advice :) I am off to the shops tomorrow !

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
could you tell me what is considered Low Carb (for a beginner)

Can I share what I've found helpful...

1. A book called 'Carbs and Cals' as you can see what you're eating and the amount of carbs, calories, fat and protein in different size portions. It made me realise how high in carbs pasta, rice and potatoes are!! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbs-Cals-...qid=1456870747&sr=8-1&keywords=cals+and+carbs-

2. I make my own lists of low carb (under 10g) favourite fruits and other snacks and put this in the kitchen next to the scales-so I can be prepared when I feel like eating something. I also have veg or watercress soup and livlife bread (Waitrose) or High Lo from Sainsburys - and that's great toasted with peanut butter or cheese

3. The other book that helped me understand the value of low carbs is the book by Diane Kress -The Diabetic Miracle http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diabetes-Miracle-Diane-Kress/dp/0738216011/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456870858&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=diabetes+miracle+Dianne+Kress There a thread about this on the forum
It's really about finding out what works for you -and knowing that even a piece of cake could be 50 +carbs!!

4. Drinking 20 mills of cider vinegar in hot water with a little 'stevia' to sweeten before lunch and supper - it helps with sweeet cravings and has had a marked impact on my BS levels.

Since being diagnosed type 2 last June I've learnt so much from everyone on the forum and discovered a new way of life and eating. There's always hope and lots of support here from each other. So Kazzers, please be encouraged even though it might be a case of 'trial and error' to find out what works for you.

Hope that helps.... T x

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@kazzers

Carb cravings can be horrible.

You may find (if your body works anything like mine) that the cravings are triggered by eating carbs, but die away if you don't eat carbs for a few days. It is like an addiction.

So once you (I) get through the first few days, it really does get easier.

Another trick is to eat plenty of good, filling, satisfying low carb foods to get you through the craving days then, when they have died away, start reducing food a bit and focusing on weightloss after.

Hope that helps.

kazzers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Can I share what I've found helpful...

1. A book called 'Carbs and Cals' as you can see what you're eating and the amount of carbs, calories, fat and protein in different size portions. It made me realise how high in carbs pasta, rice and potatoes are!! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbs-Cals-...qid=1456870747&sr=8-1&keywords=cals+and+carbs-

2. I make my own lists of low carb (under 10g) favourite fruits and other snacks and put this in the kitchen next to the scales-so I can be prepared when I feel like eating something. I also have veg or watercress soup and livlife bread (Waitrose) or High Lo from Sainsburys - and that's great toasted with peanut butter or cheese

3. The other book that helped me understand the value of low carbs is the book by Diane Kress -The Diabetic Miracle http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diabetes-Miracle-Diane-Kress/dp/0738216011/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456870858&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=diabetes+miracle+Dianne+Kress There a thread about this on the forum
It's really about finding out what works for you -and knowing that even a piece of cake could be 50 +carbs!!

4. Drinking 20 mills of cider vinegar in hot water with a little 'stevia' to sweeten before lunch and supper - it helps with sweeet cravings and has had a marked impact on my BS levels.

Since being diagnosed type 2 last June I've learnt so much from everyone on the forum and discovered a new way of life and eating. There's always hope and lots of support here from each other. So Kazzers, please be encouraged even though it might be a case of 'trial and error' to find out what works for you.

Hope that helps.... T x

That is so helpful Thanks so much , as we speak I am cooking bacon and an egg !! Unheard of for me before work . Thanks I will read up , I'll letyou know how I am getting on :)

Reactions: 6 people

SugarJunkie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started low carb 17 days ago... Zero sugar, sweeteners etc upped my exercise. It was hell for the first ten days then I started feeling better. I've lost 7lbs, don't have a mid afternoon slump at work and my bg is at pretty normal levels from super high.

I slipped tonight and had four squares of dark chocolate but hey ho... Onwards and upwards:)

Ps since I stopped feeling horrible I haven't been hungry once. Good luck x