So now I know weetabix are out!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No surprise when you look at the carb content on the box (69%), and add to that the milk, and add in the fact that those of us with insulin resistance find that this is almost always worse in the mornings, which is when people tend to eat cereals. :eek:

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, no surprises there!

I miss it massively at times. At university, I lived on the stuff - I would have 6 Weetabix in the morning and possibly 6 at nigh too, never thought anything of it! But now nearly all cereals are out of the question. Sad really as now and again I get the real urge to devour a whole box lol. Strange craving!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, can I ask what the issue is with weetabix/ cereals? Admittedly, I too go very high after breakfast, sometimes staying high for a while. I vary between porridge, fruit 'n fibre, mini weetabix and weetabix (I usually have the latter if I wake up on a high reading). Is it more to do with ratios or not? Thanks

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
If you're already on a high you need to steer well clear of wheat and maybe have a boiled egg .... no soldiers. Egg and bacon and I go for a slice of fried bread maybe. Fried in coconut oil. The fat slows down the conversion into glucose. A slice of fried is different to a slice of unfried in that the same amount of glucose happens but instead of happening fast and causing spikes that are damaging your body the conversion is spread out meaning you're not reaching the high numbers (spikes) that are damaging. All my research has led me to believe that once you get up to 8 you're causing physical damage to your body somewhere/everywhere. Very rare I ever reach that red line now because I eat to my meter. I'm T2 by the way.
I have porridge almost every morning but if my fasting reading is around 6 I give it a miss and have a couple of eggs or simply full fat yoghurt with berries. I don't go near breakfast cereals. I look at them and visualise a skull and cross bone on the box. I can get away with porridge because I can put coconut oil in it but a bowl of porridge will take me from a reading of 5 to maybe a reading of 7.5 ... it varies quite a bit but if my reading is 6 then I wont have the porridgebecause it would mean I'm entering the danger zone of that red line 8. That's how I eat to my meter.

Last edited by a moderator:

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
@Angelic_Delight
Congratulations on the meter and testing. And really well done on identifying a meal that you can drop until you get your levels under control.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, can I ask what the issue is with weetabix/ cereals? Admittedly, I too go very high after breakfast, sometimes staying high for a while. I vary between porridge, fruit 'n fibre, mini weetabix and weetabix (I usually have the latter if I wake up on a high reading). Is it more to do with ratios or not? Thanks

Asa - most of those responding here don't use insulin to control their blood sugars so have to really take heed of their meter readings and control diet.

For a T1, I wouldn't like to comment on what you could do to manage the spikes better, but another T1 might be able to help.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tried them for first time since having meter, up from 5.3 to 15.9 2 hours after eating! Oops!

Ahahhhhh. Such is the power of self testing. There's no getting away from that immediate feedback, right before your eyes?

Keep up the good work. Your big learning adventure has begun. :)

You'll be fine.

Reactions: 4 people

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Asa - most of those responding here don't use insulin to control their blood sugars so have to really take heed of their meter readings and control diet.

For a T1, I wouldn't like to comment on what you could do to manage the spikes better, but another T1 might be able to help.
Point taken, thanks for that.

furrolly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find I need to double my dose if I have porridge or weetabix to keep levels down. Do your normal tests and instead of 4 units for 38g carbs I take 8 and works fine for me. Just try going up slowly till you find your level

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tried them for first time since having meter, up from 5.3 to 15.9 2 hours after eating! Oops!

And isn't it tragic that so many type 2s are advised by health care professionals to eat this rubbish, and then advised not to test, so they can't see the damage it is doing.

Rant over! ;)

Reactions: 5 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I have weetabix every morning doesn't affect my BG levels at all. ??
Are you sure .... like two hours later? I know we're all different but you'd be the first in my experience to be like that.

susieq67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've tried all manner of cereals (I really, really do not like a cooked breakfast, makes me nauseous for hours afterwards !) and the three, apart from porridge, that I've found the best are (in order of causing the least spike)

Sainsburys Puffed Wheat
Sainsburys Basics Breakfast Wholewheat Biscuits (like Weetabix but lower in carbs and sugar)
Quaker Oat Crisp

I usually have a small portion with Alpro Soya yoghurt (not the fruit ones, but the plain or almond varieties) and a handful of raspberries or blueberries. I still get a spike in my numbers but it's usually only a couple of points; I don't often have any other carbs during the day so overall my numbers are quite good.

I've also now found a bread that doesn't send my numbers soaring - Bergen's Linseed & Soya (apart from being diabetic I also have Colitis and this was recommended on another forum as being OK for both conditions). It does mean that I can enjoy a slice of bread now and then without doing any damage (I keep it in the freezer and just take out a slice when I want one).

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
14.8 so no more for me
Full of Carbostiens! But now yah know. Now, look on the packaging WBix for the % Carbs and Sugars. I’m real glad you’re here. This much support on diets. I’m Type 2, what are you? And do you any recent HBA1C? I’ve gone from 89 down to 46.

People are here to offer support and advice.

Julia51

Full of Carbostiens! But now yah know. Now, look on the packaging WBix for the % Carbs and Sugars. I’m real glad you’re here. This much support on diets. I’m Type 2, what are you? And do you any recent HBA1C? I’ve gone from 89 down to 46.

People are here to offer support and advice.
I’m type 2 but I can’t find any medication to take as everything I take gives me diarrhoea and headaches I also have multiple sclerosis so identifying the 2 symptoms of both is impossible to tell what Symptoms go with what

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m type 2 but I can’t find any medication to take as everything I take gives me diarrhoea and headaches I also have multiple sclerosis so identifying the 2 symptoms of both is impossible to tell what Symptoms go with what
You're responding to a pretty old thread that's been momentarily revived, maybe you want to start your own to get some help? (@ANTJE might be able to step in and help in that department).

For the time being: I didn't respond well to medication either. Same problems as you had: stuck in the toilet, migraines... And that does sound like side effects from things like metformin and such. (Though I can't sum up everything that goes with MS.).

When I went low carb, the need for any kind of diabetes medication went with it. I've been in the normal range ever since. The Nutritional Thingy I liked to earlier, might help suss out what is better left out of your diet from here on in, and what should be (put back) in. For me, it made all the difference. It may for you too. I was diagnosed 5,5 years ago. I've been entirely without T2 meds for over 5 years now, so it CAN be done! Many here have as well!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You might want to try an ultra low carb diet.. it has been known to help with both conditions.

https://revero.com/?s=multiple+sclerosis

These people tried carnivore (animal products only).