Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Poached is a pain (takes too long for me) but love them like that, slice of room temp salmon on the top so they draw some egg heat, rashers of bacon and buttered mushrooms. Heaps of ways to have them :)

Good (ish) figures starting to show up :)

Reactions: 2 people

jziggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Boiling water in an egg poacher that cost just a few pounds and its poached really quickly with hardly any mess :)
Poached is a pain (takes too long for me) but love them like that, slice of room temp salmon on the top so they draw some egg heat, rashers of bacon and buttered mushrooms. Heaps of ways to have them :)

Good (ish) figures starting to show up :)

Frank_Lloyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
yup, the excessive thirst is a real pain to deal with. I notice when I eat very clean, plain brown rice, plain fish, etc it's not as bad. Really boring eating habits but probably worth a shot to give yourself a 10 day test to see if it helps

Martinabray

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You have inspired me ....after being taken off all my meds (Humilin , Metformin & Forxiga) and having them replaced with Lever and Victoza my BCG is between 14 and 25 ...and that is pre breakfast and evening meal ! I have upped the Levermir from 28 to 42 units ( gradually I hasten to add ) and recently adopted a low carb way of life. My BCG is not improving rapidly ...but I will persevere now I have read this thread ...it will improve. Thank you all.

thirsty_monsta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
glad to have helped you... once you get used to low carb it gets easier... my sugars are around 10 or 11 at the moment, depending on what time of day i test..and i admit i have skipped a couple of meals in the last few days

Martinabray

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
glad to have helped you... once you get used to low carb it gets easier... my sugars are around 10 or 11 at the moment, depending on what time of day i test..and i admit i have skipped a couple of meals in the last few days
I skipped a few ...but was told it didn't give the right picture ... but when you are 25.2 Bcg before your evening meal it frightens me....so I starve !

Martinabray

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the tag @Natalie1974

I totally agree with all the advice you have been given so far. Continue to drink plenty of low carb drinks. Water is best. How about sparkling water if you can't stand it plain? If you can go out for a walk or other exercise then this will help to bring your levels down

You do need to stop having high carb foods (maybe when your BGs are back to non-diabetic levels you will be able to add some back) . Vegetables (not root vegetables) and protein and fats are fine (not low fat products, instead choose real butter, cream, lard, olive oil etc.) These will help to fill you.

Here's some links to help you

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/

www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/my-first-year-of-lchf.76070/

Hopefully if you can low carb and exercise your numbers will start to fall very soon.

Keep monitoring your BGs throughout the day and keep asking questions. Don't forget the NHS Helpline 111 is there if you need it or if things get worse.

Good luck :)
I called the NHS Helpline 111 one weekend just for some advice about my new drugs regime as BGC was very high ...I was asked to go to an out of hours (23.00hrs )GP appointment at my local (nearest but still 20 miles away) . The GP admitted she knew nothing about diabetes and had not heard of the new drugs I was on. I won't be calling again.

thirsty_monsta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well theres a nice surprise.. just tested my bg after my lunch and its down to 9.3 that`s the first reading under 10 since i have been testing... another upside to this lchf diet is im losing some weight even though its bacon and eggs every day for breakfast :p

Reactions: 6 people

Martinabray

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
well theres a nice surprise.. just tested my bg after my lunch and its down to 9.3 that`s the first reading under 10 since i have been testing... another upside to this lchf diet is im losing some weight even though its bacon and eggs every day for breakfast :p
How fantastic !! ......I have told my husband that I shall be having a fry up every morning instead of porridge ...he has the biggest smile on his face. Well done You x

Reactions: 5 people

thirsty_monsta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
porridge isnt that great, its loaded with carbs...the bacon and eggs option has close to zero... 1 large egg is about 0.6g of carbs and the bacon doesn't have any... no toast though lol, if you want sausages too, bratwurst are pretty low in carbs too as they dont have any filler in them :) good luck martinabray, and dont forget the mushrooms cooked in butter ;)

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
porridge isnt that great, its loaded with carbs...the bacon and eggs option has close to zero... 1 large egg is about 0.6g of carbs and the bacon doesn't have any... no toast though lol, if you want sausages too, bratwurst are pretty low in carbs too as they dont have any filler in them :) good luck martinabray, and dont forget the mushrooms cooked in butter ;)

Wow...you're really getting to grips with this now...well done :)

Reactions: 4 people

thirsty_monsta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks Natalie...i have been helped by the forum since i joined and absorbed the advice given..also been reading loads..if i can pass advice onto someone else and help them..its the least i can do :)

Reactions: 8 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yay! re the 9.3! You've just made my day! :)
Double Yay! re the weight loss :):)

Martinabray

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yum Yum xx

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I called the NHS Helpline 111 one weekend just for some advice about my new drugs regime as BGC was very high ...I was asked to go to an out of hours (23.00hrs )GP appointment at my local (nearest but still 20 miles away) . The GP admitted she knew nothing about diabetes and had not heard of the new drugs I was on. I won't be calling again.
Yes, I did wonder about the quality of the help there, but thought I ought to mention it anyway. :)

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks Natalie...i have been helped by the forum since i joined and absorbed the advice given..also been reading loads..if i can pass advice onto someone else and help them..its the least i can do :)
That's exactly as I feel...the advice I've received from this forum has been invaluable in turning my diabetes around...if I can help anyone even half as much as I have been helped myself...I'm a happy bunny

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congrats on getting a hold on your blood sugars thirsty_monsta. I know you were massively over before you tested. I bought my BG machine last week Im consistantly around 7-9 pre and post foods. Working on getting it down further. Portion size and proteins are my next goals to work on.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is fantastic news. I went for it too in a similar style to yourself about seven months ago and haven't looked back.If you have time in the morning change things round a bit,cheesy scrambled eggs,boiled eggs,French toast made with Lidl High Protein Rolls,Mushroom omelette etc to keep things from getting boring.
Well done.

thirsty_monsta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well its 2 hours since i had my lunch, cooked meat, beetroot and cheese and my BG is down to 7.7 :) its been up and down a bit but seems to be settling down more