Salad Hater!

Issy12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just diagnosed this week, off to the Diabetic clinic later, but I know I'm going to have a hard time as I'm not a fan of salads etc, so feeling very fed up!

Reactions: 2 people

norbitonite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Doesn't have to be just salads. I'm tagging @daisy1 who'll be able to supply you some good advice and links to dietary information which I have found invaluable in the week since my diagnosis. My BG (blood glucose) has reduced significantly by following it, and I'm not finding following the dietary advice challenging at all. This morning I had bacon, fried eggs and mushrooms for breakfast and my BG levels dropped by 0.5 from before breakfast to two hours after breakfast.

Reactions: 7 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
What's the "etc" bit? There's a LOT of alternatives out there but need info from you re bloods, diet, weight etc etc

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
I can sympathise with the o/p I hate salad too, but blended in a nutribullet with coconut oil, cider vinegar and cinnamon double cream and a handful of berries a few Brazil nuts, I find works wonders for the taste and texture of a salad.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, salads are good but so are proteins and fats for us which gives you a good choice. I also have eggs and bacon for breakfast and sometimes a small portion of home made muesli (not porridge).

Reactions: 7 people

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Never eaten a salad in my life, hated the taste and the crunch. A good few months since I was diagnosed and my tastes have changed so much I now eat salads, not very often but I can now tolerate them. Still don't like raw onion though.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, all you need to reduce are the carbs, nothing else, although we do have to be a bit careful with fruit and milk. There are plenty of lovely choices so have a good read round these forums for some ideas. By the way, I was also a salad hater but find by adding suitable dressings (in my case real mayonnaise) and adding proteins such as salmon, eggs, cheese, they aren't as bad as I thought. It doesn't have to be limp lettuce.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Issy12

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. I am not a salad eater either but there are plenty of other things to eat - fats and proteins are good. Just cut down carbs to a minimum. Ask more questions and you will get plenty of answers.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This mornings breakfast ,Three boiled eggs with heavily buttered Lidl roll soldiers, you will not go hungry on a LowCarb diet , LowCarb will also help lower your BG levels and lose weight ,pretty hit and miss at the Diabetic Centre you may be luck and get up to the minute info on diet or the old stuff,I would stick with daisy,s advice

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Funny how people always seem to equate "healthy" food with Salad :confused:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm not eating salads at the moment, but looking forward to some when the warmer weather arrives.
@Issy12 welcome to the forum. As the others have said there is lots of tasty filling food which you can eat. A lot of us follow a Low Carbohydrate High Fat approach to eating which we find lowers our blood sugar and weight.

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm the same when it comes to salad, think I have a thing about raw food but that's my issue which come the summer I will confront.

I am taking a guess at the etc is vegetables in general and if so I was the same before diagnosis. What I did during the first few weeks as I tried to get my head around things was to choose one vegetable I use to hate and then cook it 5 ways so for example I took cauli and mashed it, roasted it with balsamic vinegar, riced it, sauted it, and even after mashing it forming it into chips and cooking again with some oil & butter. Every time I did this I found a couple of ways which I ended up liking and now have a freezer with prepared veg which allows you to vary things up when it comes to your diet.

You will be surprised how much your tastes change when you try to expand the types of food you eat and some things you think you will end up missing and craving end up being disappointing if you try them again.

Reactions: 5 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Issy12 - Hello and Welcome to the Forum.:)

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
I hate salad too @Issy12 but find I can tolerate it with 1000 Island dressing, not too much as its quite carby. Do you like veg...? Several find the root veggies a problem but that still leaves quite a few. And its individual, I can tolerate carrots, parsnips but not others.

If you have a meter you'll be able to test and find out what's fine/what isn't for you. I follow a low carb, highish fat diet, loved the thought of bacon and eggs for breakfast when I first heard about it but need to have tomato or mushrooms with it [or both !] to cut through it .

Good luck, am sure you'll be fine, there's so much information from posters on here :)

Reactions: 6 people

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its funny the way people associate Salad with diets. If you don't enjoy salads, try stir fries........hot salads :) Loads of different variations possible. I just start by throwing garlic, ginger and chili in the wok and then add almost whatever vegetables come to hand together with some protein (I like tinned mackerel, cashew nuts or pre-cooked chicken). At the end you can add some fish sauce and soy sauce and voila!! I don't have rice with it of course. Anyway, good luck at the diabetic clinic. The most important thing to remember when you come back is to be very careful with Carbs.....have a look on the forum for the success stories from people on low carb diets....including me :)