How to stop blood sugar raising when walking!!!

charl824

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nowadays my blood sugar has been really sensitive, light exercise is fine , lots of high exercise in the warmth will lower blood sugar but I am fine with that,
The issue I have is when doing medium exercise like walking , my muscles feel tense , particularly when its cold and my breathing goes all weird and I get really tired and my blood sugar raises , it does this everyday I walk to school, or even when I go in my back garden, and then I just get really annoyed , which raises my blood sugar even more,And once my blood sugar raised after writing for ages and I got cramp in my hand. If anyone has any advice I would be grateful.

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My levels always raise when I go walking. I tried taking a couple of units of insulin before going out and so far it has worked well and kept levels even for the whole day.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I would focus on your breathing more when you walk, concentrate on filling your lungs and relaxing more with each breath. It sounds like you are making yourself anxious which would raise your BG, try and enjoy your walk, look at the flowers which are now appearing, enjoy your walk more and find things to look at which you like. Strenuous exercise will also raise your BG so maybe slow down, if you walking at a fast pace ?

charl824

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would focus on your breathing more when you walk, concentrate on filling your lungs and relaxing more with each breath. It sounds like you are making yourself anxious which would raise your BG, try and enjoy your walk, look at the flowers which are now appearing, enjoy your walk more and find things to look at which you like. Strenuous exercise will also raise your BG so maybe slow down, if you walking at a fast pace ?
well often I feel as thugh I am walking fast but then lots of people over take me so I must be walking slow, kind of strange , but I will try to relax more thanks for advice, it could be my stress levels.

charl824

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My levels always raise when I go walking. I tried taking a couple of units of insulin before going out and so far it has worked well and kept levels even for the whole day.
Im probably too scared to inject insulin before just in case its too much or something, how much do you inject usually? thanks for replying.

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One or two units, depending on how much walking I will be doing.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Shows how different we all are, I walk my dog for an hour every evening and have to lower my insulin (previous bolus dose) by 50% otherwise I go hypo.

well often I feel as thugh I am walking fast but then lots of people over take me so I must be walking slow, kind of strange , but I will try to relax more thanks for advice, it could be my stress levels.

That won't help if your stressed, do try and relax as @Juicyj says.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
As I mentioned above, try and enjoy your walks more, in doing so you will find your levels will stabilise and even drop slightly, it's a case of try deep breathing, smell the roses, enjoy the scenery and naturally you will relax. Look up some mindfulness meditations on youtube to help practise deep breathing, these are great for getting de-stressed and calming the mind.

Minigman_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've found that if my BG is above 10 it won't come down when walking. However if it's say 6 before it will drop. I take a BG reading after being out 30mins and check level and have a couple of jelly babies if it's dropped below 6. I have been told that if you set out to exercise with a high BG it can go up not down, weirdly.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
What time of the day do you go for these walks ? In the morning ,when running or cycling, I need to inject a couple of units bolus before starting otherwise I end up a bit too high for my liking. In the evening it's completely the opposite and have to watch for hypos. DP could be at play.

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What time of the day do you go for these walks ? In the morning ,when running or cycling, I need to inject a couple of units bolus before starting otherwise I end up a bit too high for my liking. In the evening it's completely the opposite and have to watch for hypos. DP could be at play.

I agree, I can walk and do yoga later in the day but not in the morning. Even just rushing through showering and getting ready can raise me.

LivsMum82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It all depends what your BG is before you exercise - above a certain level it rises rather than falls - see this article which explains it. It uses the American measurements, but I believe it's about 11-13 where it starts: https://www.diabeteshealth.com/why-does-my-sugar-go-up-after-exercise/.

And the symptoms you mention happen because your blood sugar is rising, not the other way around. I would never increase insulin before exercising, as the exercise should lower your BG unless something else is at play; it's far safer to check BG beforehand (OK to correct a high BG if needed, as that's separate to the exercise), check afterwards and then correct if needed.

Jestred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Kristin251 I've noticed my Bg rises every time I shower in the morning but it does drop 30mins later. Walking does drop my BG if its a quick 30mins or so

charl824

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
often morning times, but sometimes in evening.

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yeah - I agree and bet it's a morning thing. I've had same trouble since my little one started school in September. Morning school walk -always a nightmare and still haven't really sorted it since September! No patterns at all. Afternoon school run just does what you'd expect, lowers blood sugar.
If you're not on a pump, I'd eat something and take extra insulin with it to stop you rising before walks in the morning.