Depression links? - lantus and levemir

CrazyLady

Dislikes
Being diabetic
Hey everyone :eek: ,

I posted a small poll last year to see how many diabetics have been diagnosed with depression. I used this as part of my coursework into Diabetes and Depression at university. I have to complete a piece of research as part of my degree next year, and I have decided to look into this further.

I am interested to see whether the incidence of depression amongst diabetics is higher if they are on Lantus or Levemir (long acting insulins) compared to those on short-acting alone.

As a Diabetic who is on Lantus, and has depression myself I am really interested to see what my results show. This forum was brilliant last year for discussion of the subject, and I got some really useful data (thank you to everyone who replied).

It would be really useful if everyone who reads this discussion could reply, even if you are not on lantus/levemir, or have depression, all the replies will be extremely useful.

If those who reply could tell me the following, I would really appreciate it:
1) Are you male or female?
2) Which age group are you in; <18, 18-25, 26-35, 36-45, 46-55, 56-65 or >66?
3) Do you currently suffer from depression that has been diagnosed by a medical professional?
4) Have you been diagnosed with depression within the last 6 months?
5) Do you have T1 or T2 diabetes?
6) How long have you been diabetic?
7) What was your last HbA1c?
8) Are you taking lantus or levemir (please specify)?
9) What other insulins are you on?

THANK YOU SO MUCH. :D

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there.

Can't answer your q's as I don't take insulin but I just wanted to point out a slight mistake in your questions that is quite a common one.

You have placed the age groups as overlapping. 18-25 25-30 30-45 etc, so if I were 25, which group would you like me to put myself in?

Should read 18-25 26-30 31-45 etc etc

wiflib

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya, you say you want to see difference between those on lantus/levemir and those on just short acting, as far as i understand to be on short acting you would need to be on long acting too??,
hope you see what i mean :D

jopar

Totsy

If you use an insulin pump, then you use quick acting only...

Perhaps crazylady whether an insulin pump is being used, might be useful to add to your list, alongside if swapping to a pump made any difference to depression status?

Is it possible for that for those who wish not to pass over too much info on the actual forum, PM you instead?

Gazhay

wiflib said:
Hi there.

Can't answer your q's as I don't take insulin but I just wanted to point out a slight mistake in your questions that is quite a common one.

You have placed the age groups as overlapping. 18-25 25-30 30-45 etc, so if I were 25, which group would you like me to put myself in?

Should read 18-25 26-30 31-45 etc etc

wiflib

You would pick the latter group, as it is shorthand for 18 to 25, so when you are actually 25 you are in the second group.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In order to collate the responses correctly and accurately in any from of research that requires this information, age groups should not overlap.

wiflib

going mad

hi, im female,
18-25
yes, currently suffer from depression
diagnosed about 18 months ago
type 1
diabetic for 20 years
last hba1c was around 13
on lantus
also on humalog
hope this helps, if you need anything else just ask :)

CrazyLady

Dislikes
Being diabetic
Age groups have now been edited, thanks for the heads up. :lol:

As to the query about the use of short-acting and long-acting insulins:
Not everyone is put on both at once. Many diabetics are put on a short-acting alone first, and if the BM's are not stabilised, a long-acting insulin will be added as well (the idea is that it mimics the body's natural insulin levels more effeciently).

Also, if you would like to answer the questions via a PM instead of posting on the discussion page, then this would be absolutely fine.

CrazyLady xxx :wink: