Newly diagnosed - all at sea

norbitonite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome .
sorry to hear that you too have had such a shock . I was diagnosed on the 9th January after both my Doctor and Endocrinologist missed all the classic symptoms .!
i have not read through all the replies as I need to dash off and put my Father to bed but I am surprised at your medication and surprised that no one else has mentioned it.
You need to get your blood glucose levels down really quickly and 40mg of Glicazide is way too little to achieve this in my personal experience.

I started with a BS level of 28.6 HbA1c of 133 and started talking 80mg twice daily and after 4 days my levels were still 21.3 so I upped my dose to 120mg twice daily by breaking the tabs in half and taking 1.5 tabs twice daily.
On the 5th day I awoke and my vision was completly blurred, like trying to look through vasoline. I could only make out shapes and blocks of colours . Naturally I was very concerned and wondered if this was a permenant loss of vision but thankfully my vision returned to where it was before I was diagnosed.

I see your Doctor has prescribed metformin which my Doctor didn't . I understand metformin primarily acts on the Liver to reduce the amount of glucose produced and increase Insulin sensitivity whereas Glicazide, (which stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin) seemed far more effective for me in bringing my BS levels down quickly to single figures after just 12 days.

i expect that your local Diabetic nurse will arrange for you to have a retinal scan asap . i had mine a couple of weeks ago and fortunately there was no evidence that high BS levels had damaged my retinas thank goodness.

Ae you keeping a diary ? I found it quite helpful as i could monitor progress and start to see patterns where certain food caused spikes in my BS levels and others didn't. I found a reeally useful excel spreadsheet on this site which I downloaded and adapted for myself .
Hope you feel a lot better soon
Hi, Johnny

The diabetic consultant said they deliberately wanted to start me on low dosages to see how my body responded with my GP reviewing after 2 weeks and adjusting upwards if necessary, My GP has said she doesn't need to see me @ 2 weeks and doesn't want to increase the dosages, which is why I'm trying to get the levels down through diet.

Unfortunately, a bowl of hotel mushroom soup for dinner last night has spiked my BG back to the 14s, so I'm feeling a bit 'two steps forward, one step back' today. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi norbitonite . You will be fine its all trial and error at first, once you get into knowing what you can eat and what spikes your readings you will get there. I was diagnosed in Jan this year BG reading 19.3 now in single numbers on LCHF diet sometimes I have low fats as I struggle a bit with high fats, but it does even itself out once your body gets used to the foods you eat, well done.:)

Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately, a bowl of hotel mushroom soup for dinner last night has spiked my BG back to the 14s, so I'm feeling a bit 'two steps forward, one step back' today. :(

Yes, we need to be careful with soups (unless we make our own) as they are usually thickened with flour, and flour is one of the main carbs to avoid. You have learnt that lesson, so that isn't "two steps forward, one step back" as you suggest. It is one big leap forward.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @norbitonite, you are doing so well - it does take a few weeks for your body to adjust - you are obviously going in the right direction and have come to the right place! ;)

Reactions: 2 people