Is high Blood Pressure inevitable

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Wonder if anyone could clarify something . I was reading on this site that 8 out of 10 type 2 diabetics develop high blood pressure at some point . Does this include type 2 diabetics who control their diabetes through drugs and type 2 diabetics who have reversed the condition through diet and excercise?

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I'm diet and exercise controlled after 10 yrs on meds including Ramipril for high BP but I lost approx 3 1/2 stone, changed my diet to lchf and exercise every day usually 40mins walking x 2 daily and my average BP reading is now 90-100/ 55-65 hope this helps?

Reactions: 2 people

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have lost the weight and am down to one metformin a day , I do suffer from white coat though . My point is the portion on high blood pressure on this site does say. 8 out of 10 diabetics will suffer high blood pressure at some point , which has a feel of inevitability about it , my point is are they being alarmist about this as a well controlled type 2 is it inevitable?

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Im T2 and my blood pressure is low and always has been.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im sure a lot of people will suffer from high BP at some stage in their lives, diabetic or not but it doesnt mean doom and gloom for the rest of your life. BP like many other issues can be sorted out either through medication or lifestyle changes. It does say 'at some point'. I had high BS, high BP and high cholesterol at sone point in my life but I no longer have high anything so it really is about how you want to interpret the information.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed T2 ten years ago and my BP has remained normal throughout and I take no medications for it, or any other conditions now, except Metformin

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I do suffer from white coat though

Get a unit for home ... cheap and will be fine and hopefully get you over that WCS with a routine when you're relaxed in your own surroundings

Last edited by a moderator:

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I have never had blood pressure problems, when I was diagnosed Type 2 in Jan this year, one of the tests was for blood pressure, which was spot on, I asked doctor is blood pressure a sign of diabetes? doctor said it does not mean that because you have diabetes that you will have problems with blood pressure.:)

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many of the reasons people develop T2D are also reasons people develop high blood pressure.

However they are not necessarily linked, but if your are overweight your chances of both issues are increased.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had always had low to normal BP, until this year.
Then it shot up - stress related, as far as I can see.

However, in my inevitable googling on the subject, I found out some fascinating snippets of info.
Firstly, having PCOS (as I do) is a huge risk factor - and the high BP usually hits at around this age (late 40s/early 50s)

Also (for everyone) high BP is a symptom, not a disease in itself. Which kind of makes you think that docs should be looking for the CAUSE not just handing out pills for a SYMPTOM, dontcha think?

I found this article very useful:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/06/09/hypertension-prevention-treatment.aspx

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many folks have elevated BP at the point of diagnosis of their T2. If you do some reading on Metabolic Syndrome, you will see some pointers as to why that might be.

My own BP was elevated at the outset; in fact it was my BP that triggered my blood tests, leading to diagnosis. However, once I got my diet in hand and trimmed a bit of weight, my BP also came into normal ranges and has stayed there. I do have dreadful White Coat Syndrome too, so a home monitor helps you gain a true insight as to how elevated you might be, and whether the elevation is sustained or just in medical locations! Even though my routine BP is now excellent, I was almost rejected for surgery at the end of last year due to the readings on the day. Fortunately, I was being anaesthetised by a consultant who took a wider, pragmatic view, and got me off to sleep. It was absolutely fine post op.

I'd urge you to work on your blood numbers and trimming up if you need to. That is one way to improve your chances of keeping or getting your BP in decent range.

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks all for excellent posts , it's the reading into the readings ( things posted on to the net )that causes stress eh? The board here gets things

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Cont - into prospective . It's the white coat that started it and now the doc wants me to do a 24 hour ambulatory to check night readings my average on the home testing was 126x70.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No, it's not inevitable. If you control your blood sugar and lose Xs weight, blood pressure will drop. High BP is part of the Metabolic Syndrome, which seems to be caused by high insulin. Get your insulin down, and BP will drop.

PS mine dropped from 135/90 at Dx to 117/70 after a year of low carb, which included losing 13kg.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Cont - into prospective . It's the white coat that started it and now the doc wants me to do a 24 hour ambulatory to check night readings my average on the home testing was 126x70.
Hi Rog, my bp was 195/ 120 when i weighed 17 st 8 lbs and bs was 26.8 mmols( which is what got me to go to my doc' feeling awful peeing half the night raging thirst etc,etc, but after his " take these metformin er and don't eat anything too sugary, and lose a bit of weight" well i just got worse..so on finding this forum and following lchf to the letter my weight has now dropped to 12st 13 lbs, bp is now av' 117/ 65 and blood sugars av' 4.0 mmols fasting 6.7 after meals
So just shows what you can achieve with the right advice and support
Keep at it and next time your in your doc's just imagine him naked with a daffodil up his .....

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
On 1 Metformin + LCHF. At age 62 my blood pressure is lower than it has ever been.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My endocrinologist explained to me when I asked him why they're so concerned about blood pressure and cholesterol that the 2 are also controlled by hormones. Don't ask me to explain that. lol. But he basically explained that diabetes is a hormone condition and that it impacts other hormones that control other things. As for me I have 2 hormonal conditions in that case. Also they term the 3 things combined as metabolic syndrome. I'm on BP meds and my BP definitely plays up a lot when I'm in too much pain or sick with something even on the meds. I had my dosage increased a small amount this year too. I haven't had my cholesterol checked lately but high cholesterol runs in my family. They've threatened to put me on statins before... I'm not keen on that. But here you have to be over a certain level to get the subsidised med otherwise you're paying over $100 per month for it.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
I eat lots of oily fish, olive oil, walnut oil, salads, peanut butter my cholesterol fell from borderline high to low.

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi folks , I have had a strange last three days , I can't seem to beat my fear not only of the nurse testing my BP but after Recent events with the 24 hours monitor ( see previous post) I have become obsessed with the home monitor and after 6-8 great readings last night the monitor started climbing up , and I bought into it and obsessed for hours trying to get an ok reading, even when I got an ok reading I obsesses to get two in a row and guess what the second was 150/80 . Any thoughts on staying calm with this as its just started this cuff fear a few months ago. White coat is a real drag when it creeps into the home monitor to, need to master the mind.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
You need to think up a relaxation technique that works for you, for me thinking of pleasant relaxing holiday memory works another is trying to imagine the second hand on a wall clock slowing down and stopping, self-hypnosis?? I don't know but it works for me.