Care over cost?

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a Type1 since I was 14 and now at 69 and the last 35 years in Plymouth ,the hospital consultant gave me excellent service and listen to me and I returned by volunteering to do drug trials not only for the diabetic research but to show me what was involved.
My consultant retired and I was passed on to a younger consultant and when ,during my first visit to her ,I causally asked that since I was testing up to 5 times a day and during the night I asked about a CGM and was told bluntly and I quote " Don't test so much" and my tests show my overall control is not going to well,but she seems not to worry about me or any other patient?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sadly I think you have hit a 'rogue' consultant here.

I have had a quick scan on the NICE guidelines and found this:

Self-monitoring of blood glucose
Frequency of self‑monitoring of blood glucose
1.6.10Advise routine self‑monitoring of blood glucose levels for all adults with type 1 diabetes, and recommend testing at least 4 times a day, including before each meal and before bed. [new 2015]

As an adult you are entitled to test whenever necessary to manage your condition, and when you include driving this can increase alot more.

Perhaps a more firmer approach on your next visit if questioned over this, otherwise continue as normal, however if you're not getting constructive support in helping manage your BG then see if you can see another consultant, or speak to your DSN.

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i have trotted out the following reply to that "don't test so much" from any medical person that has attempted it with me

I just say -- Would you drive your car without a speedometer ?

Reactions: 6 people

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i test 10+ a day but that's because whenever i eat i tend to check my bloods be4 hand, so i know if i need to correct or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly I think you have hit a 'rogue' consultant here.

I have had a quick scan on the NICE guidelines and found this:

Self-monitoring of blood glucose
Frequency of self‑monitoring of blood glucose
1.6.10Advise routine self‑monitoring of blood glucose levels for all adults with type 1 diabetes, and recommend testing at least 4 times a day, including before each meal and before bed. [new 2015]

As an adult you are entitled to test whenever necessary to manage your condition, and when you include driving this can increase alot more.

Perhaps a more firmer approach on your next visit if questioned over this, otherwise continue as normal, however if you're not getting constructive support in helping manage your BG then see if you can see another consultant, or speak to your DSN.
I thank you for the quick response and you are correct I should have walked out,but a "new" consultant I was caught off guard but not on my next visit!

Reactions: 2 people

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i test 10+ a day but that's because whenever i eat i tend to check my bloods be4 hand, so i know if i need to correct or not.
I can not see what your reply does in answering my query regarding my "new" consultant as I if required test more than 5 times a day and more when driving,that was what my comments were about such as not getting the support you should

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can not see what your reply does in answering my query regarding my "new" consultant as I if required test more than 5 times a day and more when driving,that was what my comments were about such as not getting the support you should
I think he was validating your need to test as often as you do. No need to be unpleasant about it as he didn't say anything wrong.

In regards to your situation, was the consultant aware that you were a type 1 and not a type 2? That could certainly explain the unpleasant experience and the consultant's reasoning behind not testing.

Furthermore, whenever I here an answer I'm not comfortable with, I make sure the person giving it to me can explain their reasoning. What was the consultant's explanation for telling you that testing 5 times a day was unnecessary? Did you ask?

The details of your experience are a bit vague so it's hard to get an accurate understanding of the dialogue that occurred. This could be a case of apathy on the consultant's part, or it could be a simple misunderstanding of the situation. After all, doctors are human too and they make mistakes.

Reactions: 4 people

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i'm talking about cost though im spending a lot and i still recive good care do you get seen at hospital or drs for diabetes? :D

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think he was validating your need to test as often as you do. No need to be unpleasant about it as he didn't say anything wrong.

In regards to your situation, was the consultant aware that you were a type 1 and not a type 2? That could certainly explain the unpleasant experience and the consultant's reasoning behind not testing.

Furthermore, whenever I here an answer I'm not comfortable with, I make sure the person giving it to me can explain their reasoning. What was the consultant's explanation for telling you that testing 5 times a day was unnecessary? Did you ask?

The details of your experience are a bit vague so it's hard to get an accurate understanding of the dialogue that occurred. This could be a case of apathy on the consultant's part, or it could be a simple misunderstanding of the situation. After all, doctors are human too and they make mistakes.
Yes I did confirm with the consultant I was Type 1 and stated the rules given by the DVLA,but the consultant (young and foreign female) who seem not interested and did not even weigh me just a few minutes as I waited longer to see her than the poor consultation. I made sure she know that I was T1 and have been for 55 years and under the previous consultant who listened to me was willing to do drugs trails which should help all?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, forewarned is forearmed ;) and they should look in your file to confirm type 1. Quote" Don't test so much" and my tests show my overall control is not going to well,but she seems not to worry about me or any other patient? Your new consultant sounded indifferent, lets hope your next appointment is somewhat more cordial with the right support and care, from what you have quoted, a better bedside manner too.
Best wishes RRB

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What does being young, foreign, and female have to do with the situation?

You can't fight ignorance with more ignorance. Your general attitude and comments on this thread are pretty good evidence that the doctor wasn't the only one negatively affecting the situation.

Try being a bit more pleasant and don't act so condescending towards people. You'd be amazed how far that can get you.

I'll leave on that note unless you feeling like discussing something meaningful about the situation.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I have not seen any unpleasantness from the OP, as he didn't seem to think his 'new consultant' cared and she told him, an abrupt manner, " Don't test so much" :wideyed:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
i have trotted out the following reply to that "don't test so much" from any medical person that has attempted it with me

I just say -- Would you drive your car without a speedometer ?

That's a very good response :)

anniehi41

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Pump
I think maybe it was the fact that you asked about a CGM that annoyed your consultant. Most of the consultants have little or no knowledge about CGMs and how very helpful they are, and asking for the NHS to find a CGM is like trying to get blood out of a stone! I think the reason your consultant was asking you not to test so much was to cover up their lack of knowledge about the CGM. I am sure most T1s test much more than five times a day.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
the hospital consultant gave me excellent service and listen to me and I returned by volunteering to do drug trials not only for the diabetic research but to show me what was involved.
Hi,
Could you tell more about the "drug trials " please..?

From memory, @Osidge has tried out a few drugs. He knows the proceedings.. (Hope he don't mind the tag.) interesting!
:cool:

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Could you tell more about the "drug trials " please..?

From memory, @Osidge has tried out a few drugs. He knows the proceedings.. (Hope he don't mind the tag.) interesting!
:cool:
Drugs trial? what can I say,I have been on at least 6 in the last 20 years and as any body knows there are always not knowing if you are on the medication or not till the end of the trials and I am waiting for April to find out if I was taking by injection the real medication or not. There are only 2 that I can recall ,the one that I finished last April and one again using injections for EDF

Gaztheoldpunk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Getting back to the original topic, I was told by a pharmacist "if your control is good, you don't need to test as much.." Apart from the fact he was interrupting a conversation was having with somebody else about having my test sticks rationed, I abruptly told him the reason my control was good WAS because I tested regularly!! Ignorance is NOT bliss........

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
A worrying development.