how low can you go?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Yet again, you miss the point. Hypoglycaemia is a condition. A state where your body's glucose levels are below the 'medically' accepted level of below 4 mmol/l. A hypo, whichever way you look at it.
It does not become something else because you are able to 'function' at that level !

This subject is not funny as far as I am concerned. It can and has killed people. So to me it is no joke having witnessed this at first hand more than once.

Of course we are all different but in reality the law in particular makes no distinction as to whether you were functioning correctly in your own mind. If you drive, and you have an accident and it comes to light that your blood sugar levels were that low you would be prosecuted for Driving without Due Care and Attention (Careless Driving). You want to continue to take that risk that is entirely your choice.

For any newly diagnosed Type 1's please read what is said here and make up your own minds. You have the facts before you and if you are sensible you will make the right decision. If not, well all I can say is good luck.

Insulinman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Idiots
Hi sophsmam: Cugila was right to ask what did you give her to aid her recovery?
BUT he left out the Names!
you don't MESS with HYPO's you hit them HARD and QUICK.
I use like thousands of Diabetic's a Lucozade type Drink,
Check the side Panel of the bottle (Needs to be) 9g or 10g Carberhydrate per 50ml
App 100ml required per BAD hypo
***********OR***********
a fun size MARS BAR = 15g Carbohydrate YEAH WE KNOW THE DIETICIANS and DOCTORS will
go BARMY "BUT" they are "NOT" "DIABETIC" or HAVING A HYPO????
33 years ago the Hospitals said they were Great because they contain Invert Sugar which makes them VERY VERY FAST!
Hope this helps your little Mite

Best wishes B

Insulinman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Idiots
Hi Cugila

******* AND "YOU" think they DON'T ARGUE *************** (at least type 2s can't get in)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
We were waiting for Sophsmam to tell us what she gave her daughter, Insulinman.

A fun size Mars bar is not quick acting enough because it also contains fats which slow down absorption, it is not what is recommended nowadays. The Lucozade would be the fast acting glucose then ,it could be followed by the Mars bar or another small carby snack to stabilise the levels.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Insulinman said:
Hi Cugila

******* AND "YOU" think they DON'T ARGUE *************** (at least type 2s can't get in)

Of course we don't argue, we discuss and debate............ :lol:

Not sure what you mean about Type 2's ? This is in Ask the Experts..... :?

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
cugila said:
Yet again, you miss the point. Hypoglycaemia is a condition. A state where your body's glucose levels are below the 'medically' accepted level of below 4 mmol/l. A hypo, whichever way you look at it.
It does not become something else because you are able to 'function' at that level !

This subject is not funny as far as I am concerned. It can and has killed people. So to me it is no joke having witnessed this at first hand more than once.

Of course we are all different but in reality the law in particular makes no distinction as to whether you were functioning correctly in your own mind. If you drive, and you have an accident and it comes to light that your blood sugar levels were that low you would be prosecuted for Driving without Due Care and Attention (Careless Driving). You want to continue to take that risk that is entirely your choice.

For any newly diagnosed Type 1's please read what is said here and make up your own minds. You have the facts before you and if you are sensible you will make the right decision. If not, well all I can say is good luck.

yet again I miss the point eh? you may think that (but with no foundation what so ever!)

Please re-read my posts. Not once did I say that I drive when hypo and not once did I suggest that anyone else should. Inject some insulin buddy, see how you body handles it from day to day! I doubt you would react in quite the same robotic way that you type your posts ie: with zero feeling. and 'again', I did not once say that it wasn't a medically recognised condition to be under 4? Not sure I understand your comments about that one. As for my subject being 'not funny', please tell me where or when I said it was?! dealing with Type 1 diabetes is not humorous in the sightest, believe me! and for the record, that doesn't mean that dealing with Type 2 is, I just don't have any perosonal experience with that, but I do have truck loads with dealing with type 1. So stick that in your 'fact' pipe young man, :lol: :lol: (sorry, too much humour perhaps, but if you don't laugh.... :wink: )

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
cugila said:
Steve. I am not having a go at you.

This forum is read by many newly diagnosed and inexperienced Diabetics. I haven't trawled the net for my information, I have talked to Endocrinologists, and others who are far better qualified than either of us to determine what is a safe level and what is not.

You seem to be happy with what you are doing, no problem. The information is there for the new members, not the ones like us old hands. I too have been a Diabetic for 12 years, I'm still learning things even now and I don't profess to know it all. We just like to make sure a new Diabetic doesn't make the same mistakes we might have.

Have you ever seen the result of a Diabetic Coma....first hand, not in a film or on TV ? I have.
Some years ago I was out in an area of Birmingham when I and a colleague came across a parked car in a side street with a male slumped behind the wheel. First thought he was drunk, we couldn't rouse him and he was as cold as ice, hardly any pulse and little or no breath.

An ambulance was called and this man was whisked off to one of the best A & E Dept's in the country.
They did all they could for this guy, worked on him for nearly an hour. Then finally they decided that was it. They could do no more. He was dead. Aged 43, a type 1 Diabetic on Insulin obviously. At the inquest the verdict was death due to a Diabetic Coma. Apparently his family knew he was always running very low numbers, bragging about how low he could go. Didn't do him any good in this instance - a Diabetic Coma can hit so suddenly you would not even know it was coming. Fine one minute....dead the next.

I went to his funeral, they asked me to be there because I was the last person to help him. Very poignant seeing his wife, family. All devastated because he was gone so young. So forgive me if I don't agree with your thinking, I don't want anybody to go through that sort of thing.....ever. :(

Perhaps you should re-read as well , Debloubed, pretty sure this is not robotic with zero feeling. :shock:

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
sugarless sue said:
cugila said:
Steve. I am not having a go at you.

This forum is read by many newly diagnosed and inexperienced Diabetics. I haven't trawled the net for my information, I have talked to Endocrinologists, and others who are far better qualified than either of us to determine what is a safe level and what is not.

You seem to be happy with what you are doing, no problem. The information is there for the new members, not the ones like us old hands. I too have been a Diabetic for 12 years, I'm still learning things even now and I don't profess to know it all. We just like to make sure a new Diabetic doesn't make the same mistakes we might have.

Have you ever seen the result of a Diabetic Coma....first hand, not in a film or on TV ? I have.
Some years ago I was out in an area of Birmingham when I and a colleague came across a parked car in a side street with a male slumped behind the wheel. First thought he was drunk, we couldn't rouse him and he was as cold as ice, hardly any pulse and little or no breath.

An ambulance was called and this man was whisked off to one of the best A & E Dept's in the country.
They did all they could for this guy, worked on him for nearly an hour. Then finally they decided that was it. They could do no more. He was dead. Aged 43, a type 1 Diabetic on Insulin obviously. At the inquest the verdict was death due to a Diabetic Coma. Apparently his family knew he was always running very low numbers, bragging about how low he could go. Didn't do him any good in this instance - a Diabetic Coma can hit so suddenly you would not even know it was coming. Fine one minute....dead the next.

I went to his funeral, they asked me to be there because I was the last person to help him. Very poignant seeing his wife, family. All devastated because he was gone so young. So forgive me if I don't agree with your thinking, I don't want anybody to go through that sort of thing.....ever. :(

Perhaps you should re-read as well , Debloubed, pretty sure this is not robotic with zero feeling. :shock:

Thanks Sue, I was referring to his post to me though (wasn't a generalised comment, I've never met the guy so wouldn't be that presumptious!) Apologies if it came across that way, I'm sure he has written 100's of posts full of feeling and sensitivity :)

sophsmam

When sophie was diagnosed we were told glucose tablets and repeat if necessary with more glucose tablets.Which we did and i know maybe she should have had some lucozade or jelly babies.but it was late and i didn't want her to be high during the night.this was her first nightime hypo that i know off it was only because i checked her that we found out.usually she is back above 4 in 15 minutes so this hypo was unsual.
why would anyone want to get too low sophies been 2.4 once that scared me more than her.you never know when a hypo could put you in a coma.the nurse told sophie i doubt you'll ever have a serious hypo.How can she say that you just never know.sophie can usually feel a hypo coming on around about 4.1 4.2.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Debloubed.

My posts are usually generalised because they are aimed at the wider and probably less experienced members on here. If I meant to aim a comment at you personally I would be breaking forum rules and it would be deemed offensive.

Generalisation are often misinterpreted. There has been times where members have taken exception to something stated, not just by me but by other members. Hopefully that is what the pm system exists for, to clarify things. However, I am perfectly happy to answer any criticism here as well. I have nothing to hide.

You are entitled to your opinion as much as I am. I am not rubbishing your experience, the same as I don't expect anybody to rubbish my own personal experiences.

If I have offended you then please accept my apologies. No offence was intended or meant.

Edited. BTW, my 'facts' are not all taken from text books. Most are from conversations with Medical Professionals and also my own life experiences. Just to clarify.
Insulinman.
Not sure I could get into 30yr old T shirts, still I bet you look good. Whatever 'rocks your boat' . Maybe I should put a disclaimer on all my posts to some people. :lol:

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
sophsmam said:
When sophie was diagnosed we were told glucose tablets and repeat if necessary with more glucose tablets.Which we did and i know maybe she should have had some lucozade or jelly babies.but it was late and i didn't want her to be high during the night.this was her first nightime hypo that i know off it was only because i checked her that we found out.usually she is back above 4 in 15 minutes so this hypo was unsual.
why would anyone want to get too low sophies been 2.4 once that scared me more than her.you never know when a hypo could put you in a coma.the nurse told sophie i doubt you'll ever have a serious hypo.How can she say that you just never know.sophie can usually feel a hypo coming on around about 4.1 4.2.

that's fab that she can feel it so early! Fingers crossed she will never lose that, not sure why a nurse would have told her that she'll never have a serious hypo though?! I mean, here's hoping she doesn't but why say that?! Symptomatic of lack of training I would imagine........ :roll:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
sophsmam said:

Hi Sophsmam.

Seems like you did everything right, the Glucotabs are my favourite method to. However sometimes I also take a quick slug of Lucozade, then test again about 20 - 30 mins later. I find that around 2 -3 glucotabs takes me from 3'ish to about 5'ish in that space of time. Just goes to show we have to be so careful when in the 'hypo' zone. I too get hypo symptoms at around the same levels, good hypo awareness is a blessing.
Hope she is now doing OK. :D

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
cugila said:
Debloubed.

My posts are usually generalised because they are aimed at the wider and probably less experienced members on here. If I meant to aim a comment at you personally I would be breaking forum rules and it would be deemed offensive.

Generalisation are often misinterpreted. There has been times where members have taken exception to something stated, not just by me but by other members. Hopefully that is what the pm system exists for, to clarify things. However, I am perfectly happy to answer any criticism here as well. I have nothing to hide.

You are entitled to your opinion as much as I am. I am not rubbishing your experience, the same as I don't expect anybody to rubbish my own personal experiences.

If I have offended you then please accept my apologies. No offence was intended or meant.

no offence taken from me! I'm just having a chat and trying to use my own personal experiences as examples, rather then text book facts as I have found that they don't always apply to me - wish they did! would make my life a lot less unpredictable :wink:

Insulinman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Idiots
Hi Sophs-MAM

30 plus years ago sleeping in a Camper in a COMA I Spat out Glucose Tablets?
also I tried to bite off my wife's Fingers as she got my tongue out of my throat?

This is NOT to Frighten but to WARN!
had the glucose been a liquid THIS WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPEND

**** "AND"******** As a BAD DIABETIC the only chance for a BIT of CHOCOLATE is a HYPO***********
And contrary to some! without Fun Size MARS bars I would NOT be here?
Trust us we do have the TEE-SHIRT

Regards B

sophsmam

sorry to hear that sophie was asleep when i found she was in a hypo.but was fully awake when she was having her tablets and then she had a piece of toast.
she's doing fine now she's just come back from a little activity ran by the diabetic team .very happy she got a day off school,just got a phonecall from school saying that her sister isn't well with a tummy bug.Fingers crossed sophie doesn't get it.

glitterzoe

Hey I dont drive (never have) and I wouldnt consider it good pactice to be under 5 for my bloods, all I was saing was that we all have different levels at wich we still function. :lol: :lol: :lol: smetimes I dont feel low and I have tested my blood (cause your sposed to 4 times a day!! :p ) and its been 2 or sometimes less thats the only point I was making, no anger or pride in having low sugers (they are quite rare for me I am a naughty(?) 7-9 most of the time) just makeing the point that we are all different and thats that! :lol: :lol: :lol: :p :p :wink:

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
glitterzoe said:
Hey I dont drive (never have) and I wouldnt consider it good pactice to be under 5 for my bloods, all I was saing was that we all have different levels at wich we still function. :lol: :lol: :lol: smetimes I dont feel low and I have tested my blood (cause your sposed to 4 times a day!! :p ) and its been 2 or sometimes less thats the only point I was making, no anger or pride in having low sugers (they are quite rare for me I am a naughty(?) 7-9 most of the time) just makeing the point that we are all different and thats that! :lol: :lol: :lol: :p :p :wink:

couldn't agree more :lol: :D :p

cugila

Master
Dislikes
I think I am just going to turn the volume up.......there that's much better. 8)
Just talk amongst yourselves. :wink: