Type 2 Steroids!

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I've just started a course of steroids for a lung condition. I'm aware that they are liable to put blood sugar up so am monitoring carefully. After my first dose yesterday my BG did go up and down a bit throughout the day but not alarmingly so, however, I was awake from around 5am this morning feeling shaky and twitchy, found my BG had dropped quite low (for me anyway). Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions to try and avoid it happening again? Feeling really grotty today....:meh:

SugarJunkie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm T2 and after the first two weeks of a twelve week steroid treatment for colitis last year my bg was so high it was unrecordable (over 33) as a result I was put on insulin until 14 days after the steroid course finished. I didn't experience any lows X

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your reply Sugar, it is the low this morning that is confusing me. Did your BG levels gradually rise over the first 2 weeks? I was hoping it wouldn't!

david6026

Iv just been put on steroids today for chronic urticaria ( hives ) previously hospitalised for anafalatic Shock twice is last 4 weeks they don't know what is causing this but they said steroids will hopefully clear it but will have my bloods running high any one else ever had this experience ?

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Iv just been put on steroids today for chronic urticaria ( hives ) previously hospitalised for anafalatic Shock twice is last 4 weeks they don't know what is causing this but they said steroids will hopefully clear it but will have my bloods running high any one else ever had this experience ?
Hi David, sorry to hear this. As I understand it, steroids will almost certainly put your blood glucose up, but hopefully if like me you're just on a short course, it won't do too much long term damage. Doc just said to me to monitor closely and if my levels go up beyond 15 to stop the steroids.