Travelling

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This weekend I'm going to the Canaries, first trip since my diagnosis. I just wondered if I could ask for advice on travelling with meds etc.

I've 3 drugs to take, should I carry with me - do I need a Doc letter? Also can I carry blood meter without any worry, given it contains a lancet? I don't want to come upon a jobs worth who won't let me take the monitor, would prefer to check in my bag.

I'm type 2.

Appreciate any advice, thank you.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
There are numerous threads on this topic (so many in fact that it almost warrants a category all of its own) but it should not be a problem at all. Check with the airline to make sure

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks and apologies for starting another! I'm using the iPad app and couldn't find anything - I'll search on my desktop tomorrow

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Looking at airline, airport and customs advice on the web, the official line is that you need a letter. The reality is that most of find us that we've never been asked for it when presenting our diabetes kit at security. Personally, I always feel better knowing that I have the letter if asked.

Better to keep your meds and kit in carry on luggage in case your bag goes missing. If you're insulin dependent, your insulin must not go in the hold, it will freeze.

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Thanks and apologies for starting another! I'm using the iPad app and couldn't find anything - I'll search on my desktop tomorrow

No need for apologies at all :) It's something that comes up regularly but @urbanracer has encapsulated the best of it.

It is airline first, airports second, customs a close third and of course the letter. Airlines must adhere to the rules otherwise they are in breach of their obligations. Email them if you wish and print out the response. It also should be in their terms and conditions of carriage

Reactions: 2 people

HaileyCropper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never taken my lancet abroad with me but would get a GP letter just in case especially as we travel from Bristol who nitpick at anything- testing mouthwash as we went through and not putting lid on so my husband's hand luggage (and we only take hand luggage to Fuerteventura as all you need is cossie sandalsand tee shirts) was wet right through. Suspect you'd be clapped in irons for carrying a few lancets

Reactions: 4 people
S

Shar67

I carry my prescription and always tell security I have sharps in bag, never had a problem.
Also if you are flying EasyJet you can take an extra bag on board with medication in, handy when the only allow one

Reactions: 4 people

Pulley_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just been charged £24 for a travel letter! Cannot believe it! It has about 10 words at best! Grrr

I also go to the canaries next week so let me know if you have any issues

Have a great time!

Last edited by a moderator: